Looking for former Marines

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

jardail

Looking for former Marines

Post by jardail »

Just hoping that some old buddies of mine from the Marine Corp at Camp Lejeune NC who first showed me the board version of EiA (when ADG first released it) might be around.

They would have been assigned to either Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune or 2nd MarDiv between 1975 and 1979.

Any responders?

Thanks

SSGT A.P. (Andy) Alford
USMC (Retired)
morvwilson

RE: Looking for former Marines

Post by morvwilson »

How about a former sailor from the USS Oldendorf DD972 & USS Nimitz CVN 68?

Maybe you knew a friend of my father's USMC Col Dick Camp?
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

LOL

the time is good, but I was on Geiger from 73-77 and we had a few who were Heavy into Board games, but EIA was not one of them :(

(one of my favorite times, was  when two friends and I were able to get to NYC for Orgins on a weekend pass, when Squad Leader was first being released, and the designer was there, when he found out I was a Marine SL, he went nutts, and we spent 4 hours standing there, while he asked me questions on what I would do if this or that happened, and how he tied to set that up in the game, and the reasons behind his thinking, and how happy he was, when most of his ideas, were what we would of done in the same case)

(LOL, people trying to sell the game, had to tell us to move and get out of the way, we were holding up sales, while he talked with me)

Grand_Armee

Post by Grand_Armee »

I didn't hit LeJeune until 1985.  I didn't start boardgaming until 1988, and by that time I was a Kaneohe Bay Hawaii.
jardail

Post by jardail »

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

How about a former sailor from the USS Oldendorf DD972 & USS Nimitz CVN 68?

Maybe you knew a friend of my father's USMC Col Dick Camp?

Well that would work if you were ever down in Camp Lejeune lol. What Unit was Col Camp with? The name doesn't sound familiar, but I may have known him or at least worked with him depending on who he was with.
jardail

Post by jardail »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

LOL

the time is good, but I was on Geiger from 73-77 and we had a few who were Heavy into Board games, but EIA was not one of them :(

(one of my favorite times, was  when two friends and I were able to get to NYC for Orgins on a weekend pass, when Squad Leader was first being released, and the designer was there, when he found out I was a Marine SL, he went nutts, and we spent 4 hours standing there, while he asked me questions on what I would do if this or that happened, and how he tied to set that up in the game, and the reasons behind his thinking, and how happy he was, when most of his ideas, were what we would of done in the same case)

(LOL, people trying to sell the game, had to tell us to move and get out of the way, we were holding up sales, while he talked with me)

Yeah the time is pretty damned close, one of the guys may have been from Geiger, I think he was with 8th Marines, but I can't remember his name to save my life. Sounds like ya'll had a grand time in NYC tho. :)
jardail

Post by jardail »

ORIGINAL: Grand_Armee

I didn't hit LeJeune until 1985.  I didn't start boardgaming until 1988, and by that time I was a Kaneohe Bay Hawaii.

hmmm maybe you knew an old First Sgt of mine who became Brigade SGT Major there, Sgt Major Pugh? (pronounced Pew). Big son of a biscuit eater, coal black hair, big bushy black moustache. Had a hand on him that looked like a Ham, man was HUGE! Damned good First Sgt tho, best I ever served with. Took care of his troops and kept the Officers off our ass.

Semper Fi to all you Leathernecks who responded.
deterrumeversor

Post by deterrumeversor »

Semper Fi....   MCAS New River '85 to '87.  I did not experience Empires in Arms until '90 or so with of all things, an Army Artillery Captain, and a bunch of rag bag civvies..lol  Outstanding game though. Never forget the ribbing I took about the Guards and Cavalry graveyard that occurred when I took almost all of the Italian peninsula during the first turns; playing as the Austrians..

p.s. does anybody remember the Singing Dragon comic book and gaming store in Jax?
Grand_Armee

Post by Grand_Armee »

ORIGINAL: Leatherneck_MT

hmmm maybe you knew an old First Sgt of mine who became Brigade SGT Major there, Sgt Major Pugh? (pronounced Pew). Big son of a biscuit eater, coal black hair, big bushy black moustache. Had a hand on him that looked like a Ham, man was HUGE! Damned good First Sgt tho, best I ever served with. Took care of his troops and kept the Officers off our ass.

Pugh...God, that rings a bell...but it was so long ago. What unit was he with? I was in 5/10 and then Headquarters Bn/2dMarDiv doing a little FAP. During the FAP I was with the Career Planner's Office. Perhaps that's where the bell comes from.
Mardonius

Post by Mardonius »

I am still in as a reservist. When this thing finally gets released we should set up a USMC group. Of course, we all may be retired by then.
"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Hey guys:

Do I need to do a special version for the Marines?
It would be pretty cool to have a Marine group playing this thing!

Thanks guys!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Mardonius

Post by Mardonius »

Just use lots of pictures and small words and we will be just fine...
"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan
jardail

Post by jardail »

ORIGINAL: Leatherneck_MT

Pugh...God, that rings a bell...but it was so long ago. What unit was he with? I was in 5/10 and then Headquarters Bn/2dMarDiv doing a little FAP. During the FAP I was with the Career Planner's Office. Perhaps that's where the bell comes from.

I'd almost forgot about this thread. Pugh was with Brigade HQ, if I'm not mistaken, he was Brigade SgtMaj at the time he was there. I promise you, if you had ever met this Devil Dog you'd never forget him. He was imposing.
jardail

Post by jardail »

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

Thanks guys!

Yeah what Mardonius said. Just keep the words simple.

Uurah and Semper Fi will do in most cases ;)

Seriously tho, you guys have enough work to do, but a special version for the Marines? I doubt seriously you'd hear anyone on this particular thread complain
1LTRambo

Post by 1LTRambo »

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

Thanks guys!

Don't forget the Army!
Matthew T. Rambo

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”