Matrix Games Announces Forge of Freedom!

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

Alex Fiedler

Matrix Games Announces Forge of Freedom!

Post by Alex Fiedler »

Western Civilization Software Revisits the American Civil War

Matrix Games and Western Civilization Software (www.west-civ.com) are pleased to announce that later this summer they will bring a new American Civil War strategy game based on the Crown of Glory engine to gamers around the world. More than seven-score years have passed since the start of this conflict that pitted state against state, brother against brother and broke the chains of slavery. Forge of Freedom gives you a chance to relive history from either side in a work of grand strategy.

As the leader of the Union or the Confederacy, you will be faced with historical decisions on the military, economic and diplomatic strategies to pursue. The diplomatic and economic systems have been streamlined and improved since Crown of Glory to be more user-friendly and also suited to the period. Rather than multiple minor nations, each state has its own Governor and they will make demands on you and shift their attitudes according to events. In addition, you will have to manage diplomacy with the European powers to try to sway them towards or against intervention. Over 1,000 historical generals are included along with an option to know their abilities ahead of time or have to find out the hard way, as happened historically. Railroads, rivers and cities all play important roles, as do elections which occur at both state and national levels. Every effort has been made to bring you as thorough a simulation of the American Civil War as is possible, from 1860 to 1865, from the skirmishes and raids in the West to the pitched battles in the East and the Naval blockade.

David Heath, Director of Operations for Matrix Games stated, “Forge of Freedom has come a long way from its roots as Crown of Glory. The Western Civilization team continues to amaze us with their innovative design and high attention to historic detail. Fans of Crown of Glory, the Civil War, and gaming in general should be on the lookout for this and future titles from Western Civilization Software.”

The turn-based structure of Forge of Freedom moves the game at whatever pace the player decides. Forge of Freedom gives complete control over military and developmental policy making. The new engine and methods used for diplomatic, economic and social strategies make running a country fast and easy. While your armies march across a regional movement map, battles will allow you to play at a smaller scale as we saw in Crown of Glory. In the detailed battlefield map each side is trying to capture and achieve objectives, making forts and defensive outposts more critical and important.

Eric Babe of Western Civilization Software said, “There is something about the Civil War that fascinates us, and we believe fascinates many others who have studied history. The US Civil War involved two sides, each with their own advantages and many, many possible outcomes. We hope to capture that 'what if' feeling mixed with the extraordinary risks and dangers soldiers faced during those times.”
jimwinsor

RE: Matrix Games Announces Forge of Freedom!

Post by jimwinsor »

"later this summer..."

My credit card is standing by!  [:)]
Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
fmonster

Post by fmonster »

Just absolutely fantastic news. After years of playing Civil War tactical battles only, on various game engines, I am beside myself with the anticipation of a Grand Theatre game. This type of scale has been SORELY missing from the war gaming public. While I have some interest in European history, American history, especially the Revolutionary war through the end of the Civil War is where my heart is as well as my study! So, that said, I too will have my credit card ready!!! [:D][&o]
Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War
benpark

Post by benpark »

Great looking screens. I like the political angle-Governers! Pretty cool.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Caltone

Post by Caltone »

Wow

A friend gave me a head's up on this. After looking over the screens, reviews, and discussion around CoG, I cannot wait for Forge of Frredom!
"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

I'm currently reading the first volume of Shelby Foote's Civil War history and it is talking about the political machinations in the border states. It seemed like a perfect fit when I saw the governors screen.
vanmi

Post by vanmi »

I'm ready to buy this game [:)]

I like the new governor attitude possibility.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

It does look real purty, doesn't it?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: vanmi

I'm ready to buy this game [:)]

I like the new governor attitude possibility.

Glad to hear it. Governors in the game can be a great help or a royal pain in the rear. I think that old Jeff Davis would give a thumbs-up to this feature (or perhaps just sigh and shake his head sadly).
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
fmonster

Post by fmonster »

Working the politicians was right up there in importance with getting the proper General in place with the proper army. This is a huge and important feature to a grand strategy game covering the Civil War. Kudos!!!!
Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Excellent news. Can't wait to play the game. 
[center]Image[/center]
dh76513

Post by dh76513 »

Forge of Freedom actually sounds as thought it boasts some awesome details and realistic strategic play particularly given the fact that I truly enjoy this period in American history. Although the features noted this game covers the entire American Civil War, I hope it is not one of those strategy games that is limited by the actual historical date that the Civil War ended. Such limitations would severely remove most of the enjoyment as well as all the benefits in developing any sound strategies during game play. I have all too often seen games like this that just stop on the historical date – leaving the strategy to be more a matter of time than of skills. Hopefully and with such obvious research into the details of this game, the developers at Matrix will not allow time to dominate the ending and/or outcome?
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: dh76513

Forge of Freedom actually sounds as thought it boasts some awesome details and realistic strategic play particularly given the fact that I truly enjoy this period in American history. Although the features noted this game covers the entire American Civil War, I hope it is not one of those strategy games that is limited by the actual historical date that the Civil War ended. Such limitations would severely remove most of the enjoyment as well as all the benefits in developing any sound strategies during game play. I have all too often seen games like this that just stop on the historical date – leaving the strategy to be more a matter of time than of skills. Hopefully and with such obvious research into the details of this game, the developers at Matrix will not allow time to dominate the ending and/or outcome?

dh76513 (if that really is your name),
We do not have a hard and fast deadline based on time, but time is still a factor. For the USA or CSA to win, one or more criteria must be met. (I've outlined these in one of the other threads.) One of the ways that the CSA could have won would have been to last long enough for the great powers to have recognized it as a de facto nation. So, in "Forge of Freedom," this is reflected in the following mechanism: if the game still hasn't been decided by 1865 then each turn the CSA gets one more victory point, putting it that much closer to victory. While this does give the CSA a definite advantage once 1865 rolls around, it doesn't end the game at a specific point, and if the USA has sufficient victories on the battlefield it will win if it can get the needed number of victory points first. Overall, it is possible for a very balanced game to go into 1866, but it's unlikely to reach 1867. This scoring system works very well, and in play-testing no one has had complaints about the game ending prematurely -- I believe you'll find that you have more than enough time to carry out your strategies.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
dh76513

Post by dh76513 »

Thanks Gil R for your comments. I am very pleased to hear this news.
Oldguard

Post by Oldguard »

ORIGINAL: Arnir
I'm currently reading the first volume of Shelby Foote's Civil War history and it is talking about the political machinations in the border states. It seemed like a perfect fit when I saw the governors screen.
As I sit around drooling over the prospect of FoF's release, I started re-reading Foote's history as well. And I might mention that if you haven't read Gingrich's Gettysburg, give it a shot -- interesting yarn relating to how that battle might have been different had Lee tried to maneuver Meade out of his position instead of launching frontal attacks.

As they say, "the waiting is the hardest part". I'm absolutely convinced I can win as the South, and I'm impatient to get started :)

"La Garde muert, elle ne se rend pas!"
dh76513

Post by dh76513 »

Oldguard,
I am also looking forward to taking on the computer or another human as the CSA.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Not to be a complainer..... but summer ended already.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Just be thankful you are not waiting for EIA.[;)][:D]
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
ckk

Post by ckk »

Wow after looking at the screenshots and a lot of years of Witp this considered to be Intermediate complexity[&:] Well we'll see[;)]
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

LOL Seems pretty simplistic after that doesn't it?
"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”