Historical Recreation?

Post here to meet players for PBM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

trhinz

Historical Recreation?

Post by trhinz »

Anybody interested in a game focused on historical recreation? What I have in mind is a game where:
a) Japan goes after only historical objectives on turn 1 and
b) does not seek to exploit the Chinese front, leaving it essentially quiet except for limited adjustments to lines and such.
c) The Allies attempt to fight it out in the Phillipines and DEI rather than evacuating everything moveable to Australia at the start of the game.
d) Player-defined upgrades are off.

I will play either side. Further details and house rules to be discussed with anyone interested.

I can play at least one turn per day.
jeffs

RE: Historical Recreation?

Post by jeffs »

I would be interested in the allies...The only issue for me is I would prefer to start in about a month. By e-mail I will explain in more detail.[8D]

jeff@sports-j.net
To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

I am willing to give this a shot and will attempt to do 7 turns a week. Cannot guarantee a turn everday but will try. This will be my first attempt at PBEM. We could start as early as this weekend as the first turn takes some time to setup. I would like to play with A Brown's map v6 with Nick mod 5.02. Also both sub doctrines turned on. Historical first turn. I ignore the Chinesse anyway... [:D]...and whatever comes to mind. As far as leaving troops in position, i am fine with that also. ----???? Does that go for all ships too?
[&:] Still learning the game it seems, even though I have had it for awile. Just dusted it off a few weeks ago and have learned quite a bit. I think I am at about 70%. [:'(]
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
trhinz

Post by trhinz »

Thanks for the reply Hanzberger.

I've done several previous PBEMs, but am not currently using any of the modifications created by our fellow gamers.

Is that an insurmountable problem for you? Perhaps we could discuss this further by e-mail.
seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: thinz2

Anybody interested in a game focused on historical recreation? What I have in mind is a game where:
a) Japan goes after only historical objectives on turn 1 and
b) does not seek to exploit the Chinese front, leaving it essentially quiet except for limited adjustments to lines and such.
c) The Allies attempt to fight it out in the Phillipines and DEI rather than evacuating everything moveable to Australia at the start of the game.
d) Player-defined upgrades are off.

I will play either side. Further details and house rules to be discussed with anyone interested.

I can play at least one turn per day.

Sounds like just what I am looking for. My preference would be to play Japan, as I love to study Japanese military history. I am an experienced player, having played UV and then WITP against pbem opponents, but I have not played in about a year. I should be able to do a turn a day, but over the course of the game there will be some interruptions if I have to travel due to work, or for vacation in late July. These have not been enough to be a problem with previous opponents.

Thoughts:
1. We could play scenario 16. That would ensure that we started the war historically. I do not mind starting on Dec 8th. Otherwise we could do scenario 15 with a historical first turn.
2. China....No exploits in China, but the Japanese army will fight there to the same degree that they did historically (and I mean that sincerely. It will be a battle front, but not an exploitation front....no honor in that).
3. Sounds good as long as you stay in historical context. No problem with pulling out some units (as done historically), but I agree with you that the immediate mass exodus of everything not nailed down is historically wrong.
4. PDU off....absolutely.

Other options:
allied sub doctrine....your choice
Jap Sub Doctrine.....your choice. I say "yes" because it is historically accurate
Advanced Weather...on
Allied Damage Control...on
Vary setup..up to you (I am fine with off.)
REinforcement: I am fine with anything from fixed to extremely variable. Be aware that I will use my history books to guess when your stuff will be arriving <g>
Turn Cycle: 1 or 2 day turns are fine...you choose. I would even be open to 3 day cycles if that is what you really wanted. I am used to 1 day turns, but I have heard that 2 day turns speed the game up and reduce the level of micromanagement.

I am running stock with all the latest patches (1.801). No third party mods, etc.

If you are interested, let me know. I am in US Central Time Zone.
trhinz

Post by trhinz »

Hello Seydlitz (I always loved that battlecruiser!)

Let's go, stock with patch 1.801 (upgrades to be applied as they come out) using scenario 16 and 1 day turns. You can play Japan. I am fine with your approach to the China front. PDU off. Fixed reinforcement.

I would not use Allied sub doctrine. You can apply or not apply Japanese sub doctrine as you prefer. Advanced weather and Allied damage control on.

Send the first turn to me at trhinz@shaw.ca
seydlitz_slith

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Roger that. Turn one on it's way in just a few. I will tell you what slot I used when I send it. If that slot is used, let me know and tell me what slots are available.
Here's hoping that both of us have a long and enjoyable game.
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

Well I have just recently been using A Brown's map and I think it adds to the Historical ability to the game. There are a couple of house rules to go along with the map. Other then that you can switch from regular map to brown's map if you choose to do so with the mod map selector he added. Nick's mod and Brown's map seem to be quite stable. Anyone else interested in playing the Axis agains me using these, please let me know, thanks...
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?

Return to “Opponents wanted”