Naval Reserve PPT Presentation

War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922-1930, from the team that brought you War in the Pacific.

Moderator: Tankerace

JagdFlanker

Naval Reserve PPT Presentation

Post by JagdFlanker »

i was looking up some ammo to ask/hope for an improbable jap vs brit scenario and found this great Power Point presentation done by the usa naval reserves on naval strat and policy 1919-1941. a few neat points!

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~nava202/12.ppt#357,1,Sea Power and Maritime Affairs
JagdFlanker

RE: Naval Reserve PPT Presentation

Post by JagdFlanker »

also found this neat link:

http://www.geocities.com/alt_naval/index.htm

this might make some of yer jaw's drop!
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Heh! Good old Alt_Naval... Lots of very cool stuff there...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
JagdFlanker

Post by JagdFlanker »

i found another 'version' of that same power point presentation with extra detail notes written underneath - my fav is under the pic of the langley - WHERE'S THE FLIGHT DECK?

also there's a mention that carriers were converted only because there was a tonnage limit on BB's and they wanted some way to up naval tonnage - if there was never a treaty in WPO should there even be any carriers included if everybody was convinced BB's were the way to go and carriers were just built because the was a limit on BB tonnage?

http://www.ku.edu/~kunrotc/academics/220/12.ppt
JagdFlanker

Post by JagdFlanker »

this might get some mod-ers salivating - german plans in the pacific in the first decade of the 20th century!

http://www.highbeam.com/library/docfree ... Result&ao=
Some senators, aware of German unhappiness over the American annexation of the Philippines, believed that Germany would attack the islands and expel the United States from Far Eastern trade. Plans for Philippine defense in 1903-4 were intended to meet a European rather than a Japanese threat. Because American naval forces in the Pacific comprised just four armored cruisers capable of facing their German counterparts, the Philippines might "lie practically at the mercy of the first comer." A powerful American battle fleet ploughing Pacific waters would prevent such a catastrophe and create a new balance of power in the Far East, but until completion of the Panama Canal, the Pacific fleet could not be strengthened without weakening that in the Atlantic.
orabera

Post by orabera »

Before the Washington treaty the US was planning for a class of CV's based on the Constellation class Battlecruiser hull. The conversions of the Saratoga and the Lexington to CV were based on this design. The original design was for a ship of 39,500 tons, 35 knots and 90 aircraft.
"As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
JagdFlanker

Post by JagdFlanker »

as far as for fun goes though, the attitude towards carriers could delay their conversion plans if they have no reason to stray from the BB race. the government and military big wigs have a habit of delaying any new tech if they can stock up on what they think is the best tech!
Rysyonok

Post by Rysyonok »

ORIGINAL: Flanker Leader

i found another 'version' of that same power point presentation with extra detail notes written underneath - my fav is under the pic of the langley - WHERE'S THE FLIGHT DECK?

also there's a mention that carriers were converted only because there was a tonnage limit on BB's and they wanted some way to up naval tonnage - if there was never a treaty in WPO should there even be any carriers included if everybody was convinced BB's were the way to go and carriers were just built because the was a limit on BB tonnage?

http://www.ku.edu/~kunrotc/academics/220/12.ppt

Yes, there should be. When delegates convened in Washington:

IJN was already finishing Hosho, planning 2 more carriers (one with TB, one with recon planes) to be finished by 1924 and a whole new class (Shokaku) to be initiated in 1922-1923.

USN was almost finished retooling Langley.

RN had - on top of a bunch of seaplane carriers - Ark Royal (the first one, finished in 1914), Argus, Furious, Vindictive, Eagle, Hermes. On February 8, 1917 War Cabinet ordered 4 more carriers! They were cancelled soon thereafter, though.

So carriers would still exist... :)
Mike Carroll

Post by Mike Carroll »

There is a book by Robert Conroy (I think) called 1901 that postulates a German invasion of New York to try and force the US to give up their colonies. Pretty interesting read.
Stonerkrieg

Post by Stonerkrieg »

This was more than a fictional novel.As early as the fall of 1889,Kaiser Wilhelm had ordered the General Staff to plan for"a short decisive"war against the U.S.The origianal plan called for a landing near Washington D.C.,followed by the capture of the city.In 1899 the plan was revised.
The new plan called for landings on Long Island.German forces would then sieze Brooklyn and cutoff N.Y.C. and hold the area hostage until satisfactory negotions were completed.The were further plans to continue the fight if the U.S. didn't see the light.
Could the plan have worked?Well,if the Germans could have pulled off the landing,then yes.There is nothing the very weak,undertrained and equipped,and badly outnumbered U.S. military could have done.
Mike Carroll

Post by Mike Carroll »

Well that "history" is laid out in the prologue. Kind of interesting, Longstreet is eventaully reinstated. There is a decisive naval battle off the Atlantic Coast and the German Army is stranded. There is a revolution in Germany and the Kaiser is deposed for his son. He kind of left it open to a follow on book. I hope he does.
Stonerkrieg

Post by Stonerkrieg »

Guess I'm going to have to get the book.Sounds interesting,and I love alternate histories.On the other hand my copy of WPO just arrived and I don't know when I'll have time to read.

Return to “War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930”