Call for Volunteers - Pacific Version

Prepare yourself for a wargaming tour-de-force! Conquest of the Aegean is the next generation of the award-winning and revolutionary Airborne Assault series and it takes brigade to corps-level warfare to a whole new level. Realism and accuracy are the watchwords as this pausable continuous time design allows you to command at any echelon, with smart AI subordinates and an incredibly challenging AI.

Moderator: Arjuna

Bil H

Call for Volunteers - Pacific Version

Post by Bil H »

We are thinking about forming a Data Design Team to start work on a Pacific version of this game. If you would like to apply and think you have the background, available time and the capability to do the research please send an e-mail to myself at: bil@panthergames[dot]com, and please CC Dave at: dave@panthergames[dot]com

Bil
Ah, well, since you do not wish death, then how about a rubber chicken?

Sam the Eagle

My Combat Mission Blog:
https://battledrill.blogspot.com/
TheJoat

RE: Call for Volunteers - Pacific Version

Post by TheJoat »

Is there another topic that discusses what is involved for a Data Design Team?

What sort of background are you looking for?

How much time does something like this take?

What type of capability do you need?
Bruce
Bil H

Post by Bil H »

Basically we are gathering the DDT's to help with the development of future titles, these teams will be compensated when the game is complete and released.

We are looking for people with a high degree of interest in the area being researched. Some research experience is desired, but this can be as an amateur history buff, college student, or as a professional writer, we have all sorts of people on board in the various teams. Military background is a plus, but not a prerequisite.

We are looking at releasing 2 games a year, we currently have 4 active teams so the lead time on this game will be 1.5 to 2 years probably. Come prepared and motivated please. Work on the team will be hard and time consuming, keep that in mind when you apply.

Saying that, all applications are welcome of course, even if you are only interested in creating maps, we can make a place for you.

Regards,
Bil
Ah, well, since you do not wish death, then how about a rubber chicken?

Sam the Eagle

My Combat Mission Blog:
https://battledrill.blogspot.com/
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Sounds good. Personally I am not interested in Pacific (well I am in fact, but in naval and aerial aspects mostly [:D]) but can you tell us what other areas you need volunteers for DDTs? I think someone mentioned North Africa in some thread, or was it East Front... or both? [&:]

Your post hints at even much more ambitious plan, so... Any other areas/titles we may volunteer for?

Oleg
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

I was going to say, Oleg! After all your posts on the WitP forum I thought you were very interested in the Pacific theatre! But then I read the rest of your statement and all became clear [:D]

I think the Pacific would be a great theatre for this series.. it seems you could command pretty much an entire invasion/defending force (as anything from a Battalion to multiple divisions can be covered) Personally my interest in this has increased dramatically since playing WitP and it would be great to see all the various combatants at work, rather than WitP's rather uniformative ground combat screen.

However, alas, my knowledge is not good enough.. but I hope someone volunteers because this game needs making! [:)]
ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

Sounds good. Personally I am not interested in Pacific (well I am in fact, but in naval and aerial aspects mostly [:D])
Oleg
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Well land combat has always been weak spot of UV/WITP series, and I suck in land combat in WITP, no matter how I love the game as a whole.

Perhaps someone will make utility to link WITP and COTA Pacific, so that you resolve your WITP land battles in more detailed and better suited COTA engine [X(][X(][X(]

But lets not hijack the thread... not too much at least... [:D] Lets hope WITP guys don't find this thread or else it's bye bye to any sensible discussion LOL

O.
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Maybe the CHS team could do the Pacific game eh, Oleg [:D]

Actually, I wouldn't mind if they did as I like CHS but, as you say, back on track [:)]

Lets hope WITP guys don't find this thread or else it's bye bye to any sensible discussion LOL

O.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Your post hints at even much more ambitious plan, so... Any other areas/titles we may volunteer for?

I would also like to know (if it is possible) whether some other areas/titles with HttR/CotA engine are in current developement and need volunteers!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
cabron66

Post by cabron66 »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

I would also like to know (if it is possible) whether some other areas/titles with HttR/CotA engine are in current developement and need volunteers!

Leo "Apollo11"

So would I.[:)]

It's funny, but I would never have imagined the HTTR engine making a stab at the PTO. What battles? I don't see a whole of interest to the ground commander there. You must be considering some major changes to the engine.

Cheers

Paul
Someone take my wife, please?
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: cabron66
It's funny, but I would never have imagined the HTTR engine making a stab at the PTO. What battles? I don't see a whole of interest to the ground commander there. You must be considering some major changes to the engine.

Well, I can't see it either - The Panther engine as it is today is ideally suited for maneuver warfare with regiment to korps level forces simulating running engagements over a period of 3-10 days in a 500 square km area.

Natural habitat : The Eastern Front, the initial German "Blitzes" + the final one (Bulge), the Allies only attempt at Blitzkrieg (Arnhem), Afrika, ...

Very doubtfull for : The Normandy slogging fest, the Sicily/Italian campaign slogging fest, the PTO, ...

The PTO team will probably prove I'm wrong about this and I applaud their zeal, but count me in on the "wait and see" side of things.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Where's your imagination Eddy?[;)]

Well the Pacific DDT forum has been very busy this last week. We have a very good team. We've been discussing the scope for the first title in the Pacific series. At this stage it looks like Guadalcanal and Finschafen. Now I can hear everyone asking "where is Finschafen?" Finschafen is located on the northern side of Papua New Guinea. The Japanese originally occupied it, the Australians and some Americans amphed in and took it from them. The Japanese counter attacked, including their own amphibious assault. It was a close run thing with the 79th Regt of the Jap 20th Div breaking alway through to Katika near Scarlet Beach. The Aust 9th Div rallied and counter-attacked eventually winning the battle.

So plenty of manouvre and infiltration, plenty of attack and counter-attack and plenty of decisions to make. I'm really looking forward to it.

At this stage we will probably jig the scale of the units down from Coy to Platoons and most likely use a 50m moveGrid rather than the curent 100m.

Depending on how we go time wise and resource wise we will try and throw in some other actions from the South-West Pacific ( SWP ).
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

RE: Data Design Teams

Post by Arjuna »

At this stage we have four WW2 DDTs and one Modern team. The WW2 teams each focus on a particular front, hence East Front, West Front, North Africa and Pacific.

The West Front team are already deep into Battles from the Bulge ( BFTB ). The maps are done ( bar one ). The OBs done. The Scenario list done. The Estabs are a fair way finished. One of our West Front team members has had to pull out in the wake of Katrina. So if anyone is interested in helping out on this team drop me and Bil Hardenberger a line.

The East Front team is a very strong team. They we will be focusing on the Chir River battles to the north-western of Stalingrad for the first in their series. These will see the might of the Soviet 5th Tank Army up against the daring of Balk's 48th Pz Korps. Can't wait.

For the East Front, North Afrika and Modern titles we will be most likely using a 250m moveGrid so we can cover a bigger map area. The loss of spatial fidelity isn't so critical in the open spaces and we should be able to model battles over a 100 x 100km area.

In North Afrika we will be starting from the beginning with Graziani's Offensive, O'Connor's Raid (Compass), including Beda Fomm, Rommel's first offensive, Brevity, Battleaxe and Crusader ( assuming the boys don't run out of puff with all that ).

Unfortunatley I haven't had enough time to really kick start the Modern team. We're still waiting to finalise some details with the members. But stay tuned. I'll keep you posted as developments occur.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna
Where's your imagination Eddy?[;)]

Yeah, you'd normally expect the opposite from me. But, as I said, I'll be very happy if I'm proven wrong on this and given my less than stellar record in "being right about something" the chances are that the PTO team will make me eat my words. Let me put it another way : a bottle of Shiraz if they can pull it off [:D]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

At this stage we have four WW2 DDTs and one Modern team. The WW2 teams each focus on a particular front, hence East Front, West Front, North Africa and Pacific.

The West Front team are already deep into Battles from the Bulge ( BFTB ). The maps are done ( bar one ). The OBs done. The Scenario list done. The Estabs are a fair way finished. One of our West Front team members has had to pull out in the wake of Katrina. So if anyone is interested in helping out on this team drop me and Bil Hardenberger a line.

The East Front team is a very strong team. They we will be focusing on the Chir River battles to the north-western of Stalingrad for the first in their series. These will see the might of the Soviet 5th Tank Army up against the daring of Balk's 48th Pz Korps. Can't wait.

For the East Front, North Afrika and Modern titles we will be most likely using a 250m moveGrid so we can cover a bigger map area. The loss of spatial fidelity isn't so critical in the open spaces and we should be able to model battles over a 100 x 100km area.

In North Afrika we will be starting from the beginning with Graziani's Offensive, O'Connor's Raid (Compass), including Beda Fomm, Rommel's first offensive, Brevity, Battleaxe and Crusader ( assuming the boys don't run out of puff with all that ).

Unfortunatley I haven't had enough time to really kick start the Modern team. We're still waiting to finalise some details with the members. But stay tuned. I'll keep you posted as developments occur.

Thanks for info!

Please let us know if/when you would need some "fresh blood" for BETA testing (BTW I would be especially interested in "East Front" and "North Africa")... [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Now Guadalcanal really does interest me. I assume Naval gunfire would be modeled.

How does one become a part of these teams? I would like to join the team looking at modern battles but I am not sure if I am qualified.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Now I can hear everyone asking "where is Finschafen?" Finschafen is located on the northern side of Papua New Guinea.

Come on?!? Do you really want hundered or so WITP fanboys coming here making you swallow back your words, or rather - insults? [:D]

I could pinpoint Finschhafen on a map of Pacific when half drunk, blindfolded, waken from the deepest sleep...

Former German territory (hence the name), stolen by you Australians, Japanese tried to steal it back [;)]

O.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Sounds very good indeed. Personally I'd rather see Pac team/campaign start with Malaya campaign. Playing both sides here would be challenge. Can the Japanese player repeat the stellar success of historic Japanese? And can the CW player defend Malaya? It is my opinion that by the time of Finschhafen battles war was very one sided affair...

Anyway, other games/plans look very good. Sorry to see modern team is undermanned as I personally have high hopes for modern WW3 HTTR. (Now if I drink a beer or two I might just volunteer... must.... resist.... the temptation.... must...[:-])

O.
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

I could pinpoint Finschhafen on a map of Pacific when half drunk, blindfolded, waken from the deepest sleep...

So, basically during lunch break at work [:'(]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Oleg,

The Malaya campaign is a very interesting subject indeed and I certainly would like to cover that. It ranked second in our list of topics. One step at a time.[:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Appollo11/Fallschirmjager,

Email me ( dave[at]panthergames[dot]com ) and Bil ( bil[at]panthergames[dot]com ) with a short resume. Include your full contact details, a brief description of what work you do, any military, beta testing, game design experience you have and what area you are interested in.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Return to “Conquest of the Aegean”