Another niche: the Med

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

MengCiao

Another niche: the Med

Post by MengCiao »

If 2by3 is going to turn the code for WitP over to amateurs, why don't we amateurs try to build the WWII Med game? No use doing the whole war, but smaller scenarios running at about 1-4 months ought to work (eg, Torch, Pedestal...Taranto Raid, Crete, surrender of the Italian Fleet -- complete with TV-guided jerry smart bombs!!! etc.).
The corpus of a thousand battles rises from the flood.
fbastos

RE: Another niche: the Med

Post by fbastos »

If 2by3 is going to turn the code for WitP over to amateurs

That is a huge (and very unlikely) if...

Perhaps some programmer that worked before with 2by3 and has their confidence might do it, though... who knows?

F.
I'm running out of jokes...

pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

If someone is going to do WWII in the Mediterranean with emphasis on the naval and air aspects, treating it (as UV does) as a conflict over control of vital bases, I need the whole campaign from Taranto (or thereabouts) to Italy's surrender (or thereabouts).

I think that the main ground conflict up in Europe can be abstracted out of the design. I also think that the fluid war in the desert can be simulated within the terms of the basic UV engine. Ten or 15 mile hexes are an intriguing possibility that would do a lot to put you inside the texture of this theater of war while keeping you at objective enough distance to give you a feeling of strategic command. Your options would always be limited by events in other theaters (including the Pacific, which would be a constant drain on your force allotments), so that flexibility in planning and attention to accomplishing only that of which you are capable would be at a premium.

Man oh man, give me Cape Matapan ... I'm down on me luck, just give me Tobruk ... We will never falter as long as we hold Gibraltar ... I'm a-callin' a halta after we take-a Malta.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

Well, if we (the community) can edit the map (as has been talked about) and decide to do a Mediterranian mod, I'll do the ship graphics for it.

Operation Herkules, that'd be a hoot.
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
33Vyper

Post by 33Vyper »

I could finally get my Bismarck?
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

Well, if we (the community) can edit the map (as has been talked about) and decide to do a Mediterranian mod, I'll do the ship graphics for it.

I'm up for the OOB and scenario work...

Give me your poor, your tired, your obsolete UV code, yearning to breathe free...
And I carry on anyhow.
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

So, that's OOB, scenario, and graphics. We need a couple of guys to do some research, and I think we are half way there.

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
MadmanRick

Post by MadmanRick »

Having worked on an aborted Midway mod for UV, I can tell you the biggest obstacle will be the map and its programming. I mean since the map is simply a really big .gif or .jpg file (forget which offhand), it would be fairly easy to replace the existing map. However, I think (although I could be mistaken) that the bases are coded into the game, so that would be the real stumbling block.

Rick
"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

I think we are half way there.
I'm sure there are a lot of people who think we're "halfway there," all right.
And I carry on anyhow.
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

It is a cross section of several bmps. You can edit the bases, those are in the OOB. That is no problem. What IS coded into the game (I believe) is what is and is not a land or water hex. So, in game we think we are sailing to malta, and the game thinks we plowed into the tip of Australia.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

No, the type of hex and hex edges aren't coded into the game. It's all in the Pwhex.dat file. Don't know if the progam would accept any different sized map though.
Bodhi
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Tankerace........That avatar of Wild Bill Kelso is a HOOT!,(and so appropriate for WITP)..

sprior

Post by sprior »

So, that's OOB, scenario, and graphics. We need a couple of guys to do some research, and I think we are half way there.

I'll do the RN and RM (Royal Navy and Regia Marina, which also means Royal Navy, but the Italian one) OOB research!
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

BlackVoid

Post by BlackVoid »

The map must be some kind of spreadsheet/database table that contains all the terrain. For the roads/rails is a different matter there are a dozen ways to implement them.

I do not think that the community would need the source code for this project, only the file formats are needed for the database files that cannot be edited with the editor.
BlackVoid

Post by BlackVoid »

If the file formats are released to the public, the MED can be done, UNLESS there is important data that is harcoded in the program itself.
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Tankerace........That avatar of Wild Bill Kelso is a HOOT!,(and so appropriate for WITP)..

Thanks a lot bob. I found the poster at IMDB.com, and I said.... hmmmm. [:D]

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

ORIGINAL: BlackVoid

The map must be some kind of spreadsheet/database table that contains all the terrain. For the roads/rails is a different matter there are a dozen ways to implement them.

As I said above, all this map info, including road/rail, is in the pwhex.dat file. It's not difficult to work out its structure.
Bodhi
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

You boys need to talk to Andrew Brown...he seems to have the map files figured out..fi he can move around Johnston Atoll, then he could put Malta where he wanted as well.

http://www.matrixgames.com/default.asp? ... efault.asp
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

"Mare Nostrum" has been much neglected in the CPU wargame industry.I sure hope this becomes a reality.
BTW,"Mare Nostrum" was a board game from the seventies depicting this theatre,I suspect some of our older players may remember it,possibly one of James Dunnigans' games??

Skyros

Post by Skyros »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

"Mare Nostrum" has been much neglected in the CPU wargame industry.I sure hope this becomes a reality.
BTW,"Mare Nostrum" was a board game from the seventies depicting this theatre,I suspect some of our older players may remember it,possibly one of James Dunnigans' games??
I want to say it was a Jack Greene design but I could be wrong, maybe Simulations Canada?

Us old guys memories are slipping.[:D]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”