mcse question

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

rich12545

mcse question

Post by rich12545 »

Just finally got started playing after finishing (don't laugh) a Neverwinter Nights xpack.

Are glider pilots considered combatants, are they good for fighting or should they just stay out of the way? Can they all somehow be combined into one squad?
Resisti

RE: mcse question

Post by Resisti »

ORIGINAL: rich12545

Just finally got started playing after finishing (don't laugh) a Neverwinter Nights xpack.

Are glider pilots considered combatants, are they good for fighting or should they just stay out of the way? Can they all somehow be combined into one squad?
There is no "merge" feature in Spwaw.
As far as I know, gliders' crews found themselves in combat rather frequently, in the very early stage of the invasion, that's why they are in certain MegaCampaigns' battles.
As for how effective they are for combat, well, the best way is to check what they are armed with :)
Federico "Resisti" Doveri
plloyd

Post by plloyd »

The glider pilots are armed with SMGs and sometimes a grenade. Since they come in 1s and 2s, I used them more as scouts and rear guards. I don't think it is wise to deliberately put them in the way of a regular combat unit.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

After posting I thoought of using them as scouts to find the enemy but I thought that would be kind of gamey. In real life they were highly trained and were kept pretty much out of harm's way after landing so they could be used again. That's probably what I'll do.
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Exactly. They are small units, easily killed and must be used with care. Historically, glider crews, especially pilots, were ordered to get to the read (if there was a rear!), and report to an HQ unit.

Naturally, this was easier said than done. The Army wanted to avoid training more pilots and use the same ones again in the future. Thus they were a valuable commidity.

In MC-SE they are armed as described and probably will have to fight (as did the real ones). I remember the story during the last big drop of a group of glider pilots (usually officers or non-coms) that formed their own unit and fought effectively. As has been said, "Never were so few commanded by so many."

Use them, Rich. You'll probably need them and a few more besides [:'(]

WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

Going only from memory but I recall that American gliders had one pilot- who was unarmed. British gliders had two pilots.
The British pilots were all sergeants and once on the ground they formed their own independent platoons.
Independent is the operative word. They didn't answer to any regular army commands and squads decided on their own objectives after a form of huddle. They were armed with just about any weapon they chose and being sergeants they probably managed to pilfer whatever was at hand.

The glider could carry only so many infantry men. For every glider that landed safely there were 2 pilot sergeants. Add an extra 10-20% to the landing force and make them NCO's and the effect on manpower is dramatic. And besides, when airborne infantry land they are usually surrounded so it isn't as though those pilots are going to be evacuated soon.
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”