help a new guy, please

Welcome to the new war raging across hundreds of light years at once, with mechanized Titans as the main fighting force.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

MythicalMino

help a new guy, please

Post by MythicalMino »

i just bought this game 2 or 3 days ago....and to be honest, i am about to give up in frustration. I have played through the tutorial twice now, but still cannot figure out how the turn sequence goes...especially once the fighting starts.

It seems that once i see an enemy Titan, I try to lock it...but....the Titan (EVERY TIME) starts to fire on me first, before I can even attempt to lock on. Before I know it, I have lost my right arm, left leg, and have taken heavy damage all over...meanwhile, my other titan to the north has not even budged....the enemy gets to fire on and on and on and on, while i can simply take damage, and not even get the chance to fight back....by the time i do get to fire, I have not even locked on...or my weapons are damaged, or i am otu of range, cause the enemy titan has backed away (after nearly destroying me)....I try to activate a different Titan, but...no...can't seem to do that....gotta go "in turn", but the problem is, I am not sure how the turns go. Outside of the tutorial, I have not been able to scan a Titan....much less eliminate one. I have 3 different titans only 1 hex away, trying to scan a titan, and nobody is able to do it...meanwhile, my titans continue to get shot up, arms ripped off, knocked flat on their face....I am trying to understand this game...I really do want to understand this game....Just having a hard time with it.

I understand there is a learning curve, but I really cannot follow who's turn it is, who's turn it will be next, and what is happening in between.

Please HELP!!!

Thanks
rosary

Post by rosary »

For help on the turn system:

showthread.php?s=&threadid=43146

In the Titans map room there is a 2 mission campaign called Deep Core. I made it intentionally easy with lots to do. Its a step between the tutorial and the first Savannah campaign mission and explains many things about the game. But I put it here for easy access. You should end up with a little bit of $$, experience and a much better idea of what is going on in TOSWS.

Just download unzip and place the maps in your Matrixgames/tosws/maps/campaign folder. They should then be available to play in the load campaign in the solitary game.
Attachments
campaign_deepcore.zip
(13.43 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

thanks
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

There are two modes for each titan, attack and move. If you give a command in one mode like 'lock target' in attack the action will take a fixed amount of game seconds. The menu for the corresponding mode will not pop up again till the action is finished.

HERE COMES THE BIG MISTAKE you can do :

If you set attack to 'lock target' the move mode menu might pop up. DON'T choose the 'call attack' button as it would BREAK the current attack mode. If you don't want to move and just want to wait for the attack action to finish choose 'wait on -> attack'.

Same is valid the other way. If you set move to 'run' and the attack mode menu is active DON'T choose 'call move' if you want the titan to finish the run into the next hex. Choose a different attack action or just 'wait on -> move' to move to the next hex.

If all titans have some action pending (wait is an action) the game time will increase till the next titan with an action finished will get his next valid menu. Rinse and repeat.

If you have a titan with both modes set to an action and you want to access (break) one of them due to a changed combat situation choose F3 to call the mode you would like to change.
RamaLlama

Post by RamaLlama »

Outside of the tutorial, I have not been able to scan a Titan....much less eliminate one. I have 3 different titans only 1 hex away, trying to scan a titan, and nobody is able to do it...meanwhile, my titans continue to get shot up, arms ripped off, knocked flat on their face....

Ok, this might be a dumb response... but you aren't trying to get an Active Scan instead of a Weapon Lock, are you?

Weapon lock should only take a couple of seconds. An Active Scan is not necessary to fire your weapons. Unless you have a good scanner on you Mech and a pilot with good scanning skill, you'll have difficulty in getting an Active Scan.

Check how long it will take for the Active Scan by hovering your mouse over the Active Scan button.

With Rookie pilots you should use Active Scan sparingly. You can't afford to sit there for 30 seconds while the enemy is pelting you with fire. Just lock your weapons on your target and fire. :)
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Right. Active scan is for the time you are approaching a visible enemy and he is out of range. Its time and success is depending on your scanner system and your pilots skill which should get to 50+ as quick as possible.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

ok, thanks guys....

Now, another question:

In the HQ section, when you create a Jock, and you are in the screen with all the skills...what do the colors mean? (red, blue, green)....also, why can I only upgrade some, and not all of them?

Also, with the Attributes, when I add to one, why can I not change it back?

As for the colors, is there a specific color that I am aiming for? also, are all jocks created equally until you change stats around?

Sorry if it seems like a bunch of quesitons, but I have not been able to really find anything in the manaul or anything....
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Originally posted by MythicalMino
ok, thanks guys....

Now, another question:

In the HQ section, when you create a Jock, and you are in the screen with all the skills...what do the colors mean? (red, blue, green)....also, why can I only upgrade some, and not all of them?

Also, with the Attributes, when I add to one, why can I not change it back?

As for the colors, is there a specific color that I am aiming for? also, are all jocks created equally until you change stats around?

Sorry if it seems like a bunch of quesitons, but I have not been able to really find anything in the manaul or anything....

Is there red ? Blue are the attributes/skills which are increased due to your leaders bonus. Do not aim for colors, aim for high initial weapon skills. Your starting jocks should have :

Recon piloting : 50+
Jump skill : 50+ if points left and your titan can jump
Primary weapon skill : 50+
Close combat : 50+ if points left
Scanner skill : 50+
E.C.M skill : 30+
Survival skill : As high as what is left.

1st jock : Leadership 50+
2nd jock : Business 50+
3rd jock : D.C.S. 50+

It might deviate +-10 due to starting skill.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

are starting skills "random"?
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Yes. Random modified by your leaders leadership skill. It should be consistant with the jocks name/callsign.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

thanks guys...you have kept me to keeping this game
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Thanks to you. The game is deep and we are learning that we should give more help for newbies to get into it. Its a process and we will learn.
tarendelcymir

Post by tarendelcymir »

Originally posted by MythicalMino
ok, thanks guys....

Now, another question:

The number of skills you can upgrade is based on your jock's intelligence. Also, with the piloting skills, the heavier weight classes are dependent on the jock's rank.
We sometimes catch a window
A glimpse of what's beyond
Was it just imagination
Stringing us along?
More things than are dreamed about
Unseen and unexplained
We suspend our disbelief
And we are entertained

Return to “Titans of Steel - Warring Suns”