Bob Hope

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

ADM Vincent

Bob Hope

Post by ADM Vincent »

BOB HOPE dead at 100 years.

Thanks for the memories Bob.
We best remember our forefathers admonition, "Avoid foreign entanglements, pursue American interests, defend American interests and for the current situation, prepare for the worst and hope for the best".
Sir Robin

Post by Sir Robin »

Another one of the greats has passed.

A sad day.

Didn't he perform for troops in the UV region?
ADM Vincent

Post by ADM Vincent »

Yes he did. He performed a great number of shows in the South Pacific.

He will be missed.
We best remember our forefathers admonition, "Avoid foreign entanglements, pursue American interests, defend American interests and for the current situation, prepare for the worst and hope for the best".
Mike_B20

Post by Mike_B20 »

He even performed for the locals at Laurieton, on the north New South Wales coast (my granddad's home town), when the plane he was travelling in made a forced landing on the sand bar on the river during WW2.
Never give up, never surrender
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Cool guy. Imagine, something like 75 yrs of fame, fortune, and good living. Lucky guy too. Not bad for an Englishman. Hey, do you think he cheated on Dolores? Can't imagine all that fame and only one woman.

Of the 1940's women stars, who would you most have liked to have "gotten to know a little better" if you were alive during the period? I'd be thinking maybe Rita Hayworth. Ava Gardner was no slouch either.;)

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
ADM Vincent

Post by ADM Vincent »

He was nothing less than the greatest entertainer of our time.

He was also our greatest moral tool.

He probably should have been added to the game. Appearing at an allied base automatically boosting mens moral. He did this through 4 of our nations wars. ;)
Micah Goodman

Post by Micah Goodman »

Originally posted by Sir Robin
Another one of the greats has passed.

A sad day.

Didn't he perform for troops in the UV region?

I saw a special on him around the time that he turned 100. He mentioned performing for the 1st Marine Division just prior to the invasion of Pelilu <SP?> and said that one of the things that effected him the most during WW II was the fact that over a third of the guys he performed for were either dead or wounded a few weeks later. They had another show on A & E the other night and it was mentioned that Bob had not spent a Christmas with his family for many years. He was not only a very talented man but also one who used that talent to help shed a little light in some very dark places. We would be fortunate indeed to see another man like him again in our lifetimes.
Mike_B20

Post by Mike_B20 »

Just before he passed away, his wife asked him where he'd like to be buried.

Bob replied, "Surprise me".
Never give up, never surrender
ltfightr

Post by ltfightr »

Bob Hope was a legend and a great man and will be missed by all.
Support the Boy Scouts buy Popcorn!
http://www.trails-end.com/estore/scouts ... id=3133025
Micah Goodman

Post by Micah Goodman »

Originally posted by Mike_B20
Just before he passed away, his wife asked him where he'd like to be buried.

Bob replied, "Surprise me".

I hope his family is offered the choice to bury him at either Arlington or the Punch Bowl.
denisonh

Post by denisonh »

Originally posted by ltfightr
Bob Hope was a legend and a great man and will be missed by all.

No doubt.

I saw him speak at a graduation for my alma matter. Tremendously entertaining.

I can only imagine the impact on generations of American Servicemen.

The spirit of service and committment he espoused was greatly appreciated by those who have served this country, and his like will never be seen again.

God Bless Bob and his family.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”