Windows 10 Permissions

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
Zovs

Windows 10 Permissions

Post by Zovs »

So I have installed a bunch of my favorite games but I noticed a couple of weirdness with things such as some of the games shortcuts have a Administrator icon in them.

When you click on it you get the short cut you get that UAC (User Account Control) dialog box that says:

"Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" 'Game Menu' Yes/No

I am wondering how in Windows 10 do you change this to remove the UAC dialog and why do some games do this and others do not do this?

Here is a screen shot of part of my desktop:

Note also that I have tried (via googling) the method that talks about changing the properties (i.e. right clicking on the shortcut and then clicking the 'Advanced button' and then checking 'Run as administrator') but that does not work.

I also tried the suggestions in this article but to no avail.

https://windowsreport.com/do-you-want-t ... ur-device/

However I have not yet tried the software they mention Bypass the UAC using the UAC Trust Shortcut has anyone tried or know what that is?

Is there an easier way?

**Note that WitW, Strategic Command, Campaign Series, Steel Panthers WAW and TOAW IV do not have this issues (SC and TOAW IV are brand new installs recently).
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
zakblood

RE: Windows 10 Permissions

Post by zakblood »

for most its quite simple, log in a admin on a admin only account,

then when installing any game from fresh, right click and install as admin, then once installed and updated, run as admin, and it sets up the correct file permissions to always run correctly, and never asks again
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

So essentially my account is admin, and I installed it under that account. At least I thought so. So would I have to reinstall as admin again for those ones?
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

while altering the shortcuts as run as admin will work for some, it won't for others, as on installing admin does the file permissions get done correctly, so yes it's hit and miss which ones will need to be or would work better installing as admin
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Okay thanks zakblood.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

It also depends on your UAC settings.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

It also depends on your UAC settings.

Could you clarify or point me in a direction to look? Thanks
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Code: Select all

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/user-account-control/how-user-account-control-works
jamiejones

Post by jamiejones »

Thanks. [&o]
ORIGINAL: zakblood

while altering the shortcuts as run as admin will work for some, it won't for others, as on installing admin does the file permissions get done correctly, so yes it's hit and miss which ones will need to be or would work better installing as admin

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”