Off topic Advice on browser

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zap

Off topic Advice on browser

Post by Zap »

I have used Yahoo for a long time. Changed to Duckduck. (because they don't keep a history of sites visited) now I'm using google chrome. Since I bought a new lap top I downloaded Free Avast virus protection. They are offering a browser. Anyone try that as a browser? Just wondering if its worth trying? Also I read a suggestion to use more then one browser. The reason given was on some browsers won't let you access some sites while another will.
What do you use and why do you like it?
zakblood

RE: Off topic Advice on browser

Post by zakblood »

if you got a new laptop, for a guess it came with windows 10?

if so use the inbuilt AV and firewall, you dont need a 3rd party one tbh, and stick on good old google chrome, works well and doesn't stopp you going anywhere i've ever wanted to go, and clears easy for the places you don't wish to keep, and doesn't take windows down if it crashes, so for me it's a good combo to have and use and works well for all the forums i'm on, regarding getting in and out and not causing me any hassle.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

ORIGINAL: Zap

I have used Yahoo for a long time. Changed to Duckduck. (because they don't keep a history of sites visited) now I'm using google chrome. Since I bought a new lap top I downloaded Free Avast virus protection. They are offering a browser. Anyone try that as a browser? Just wondering if its worth trying? Also I read a suggestion to use more then one browser. The reason given was on some browsers won't let you access some sites while another will.

I've been using Firefox for many years. At first, b/c they offered tabbed browsing so it was definitely a long time ago. [:)]

Occasionally, i will use Explorer.

~
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Firefox with uBlock Origin to cut out most of the annoyances.

Chrome as an occasional - but again with uBlock Origin

I've been happy with Microsoft's own AV and firewall like Zakblood says. There's enough aggro with Windows 10 anyway without adding an extra thing to the soup.

I've recently started buying old but cleaned Windows 7 laptops - about £80 in UK and having a selection of games on them.
jhyden

Post by jhyden »

here's a screenshot for the firefox browser. also, here's something i use (flux) to help with eyestrain.

https://justgetflux.com/

~

Attachments
flux.jpg
flux.jpg (46.03 KiB) Viewed 269 times
firefox.jpg
firefox.jpg (64.52 KiB) Viewed 269 times
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I use chrome but it works the heck out of my hard drive. More than any of the other browsers. I like the interface. I've used Firefox and Edge sometimes. Like Zak I stick with the AV and Firewall protection W10 came with. Tried others but got tired of the hassle.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Zap

Wait, there's a browser called Duckduck, I've been missing out on all these years?
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Firefox with uBlock Origin to cut out most of the annoyances.

Chrome as an occasional - but again with uBlock Origin
This, this is all you need to travel the internets

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress
Wait, there's a browser called Duckduck, I've been missing out on all these years?

It's called DuckDuckGo, and it works p good too.

cheers

MM
Click below. You know you want to!!

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I, too, have been using Firefox for many years. The only add-on I use with it is NoScript. I do as zakblood recommends and use the AV and firewall that came with Windows 10.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

noscript, ublock origin, ghostery are all must-have addons for firefox
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Zap

Post by Zap »

Thank you for your suggestions. So I uninstalled 2 3rd party virus programs. I have Mawarebytes is that ok? If not I Will go with U Block origin. Added to google chrome

Just a side note I installed a free word program. I had MS word, Excel, (Office) 2003. Microsoft stopped supporting it. It no longer interacts well with MS Windows 10.

I think its a good choice this free program will do the job. As opposed to buying MS Office 365.

Also got a free Media suite program to burn disc create photo albums to disc.
Whats your opinion on this types of Utility programs? Are there other Utility programs you think I should have?

AndySfromVA

Post by AndySfromVA »

I use Open Office. It's OK but if you incorporate photos in your work it will shut down.

If I had heavy duty word processing to do I'd invest in Microsoft Office.
Zap

Post by Zap »

That's what i downloaded as well (Open Office), as you said it does the basics. I just tried adding a photo to Open Office it didn't crash. I do have a Navidia GtX 1060 graphics card, if that makes a difference

Return to “General Discussion”