Would Wavell have got to Tripoli in 41 if not for Greece

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

altipueri

Would Wavell have got to Tripoli in 41 if not for Greece

Post by altipueri »

A chance purchase of "African Trilogy - The North African Campaign 1940-43" by Alan Moorehead.

The revised preface (written in 1965)says that "Wavell himself in later years was inclined to think that he would not have got through".

The original book (and this book was first published in 1944 - before the war was over) says (of the UK) "....had you never gone to Greece you might still have had Benghazi and Crete too."

What do you desert rats think?

I couldn't find a "what-if" of this in The Operational Art of War. Any other ideas - Hearts of Iron 2 had a Africa scenario I think.

Saint Ruth

RE: Would Wavell have got to Tripoli in 41 if not for Greece

Post by Saint Ruth »

Wavell's offensive advanced around 500 kms as the crow flies and that'd far longer when you account for the roads, fighting along the way etc.
From Beda Fomm to Tripoli is another 900 kms so it'd be no easy task.
Then of course the Afrika Korp started arriving just after the end of Wavell's offensive, so it might have actually
been worse if they'd advanced, being tired, with worn out equipment after such a huge advance with a huge extended supply line from near Tripoli stretching all the way back to Egypt (presuming Tokruk wasn't immediately open for business), and then having to fight Rommel's fresh German and Italian units.

Still, there might have been better options that either going gung-ho for Tripoli or sending most of Wavell's units to Greece. [8D]
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. I gather Rommel said he thought he could defend Tripoli too.

Hearts of Iron 2 or Darkest Hour does have a scenario that covers this too I've found.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

A chance purchase of "African Trilogy - The North African Campaign 1940-43" by Alan Moorehead.

The revised preface (written in 1965)says that "Wavell himself in later years was inclined to think that he would not have got through".

The original book (and this book was first published in 1944 - before the war was over) says (of the UK) "....had you never gone to Greece you might still have had Benghazi and Crete too."

What do you desert rats think?

I couldn't find a "what-if" of this in The Operational Art of War. Any other ideas - Hearts of Iron 2 had a Africa scenario I think.

warspite1

Probably not - although there are many what-ifs.

The CW forces may have got there (depending on how stiff the Italian 5th (and remains of) 10th Army resistance was the closer the CW got to Tripoli) but a lot would depend on timing (and Italian will to fight counts for as much as the state of the British tanks and vehicles). Every day the British are delayed getting to Tripoli, the more of Rommel's forces arrive in Tripoli.....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “General Discussion”