Improve playback

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
BigDuke66

Improve playback

Post by BigDuke66 »

One of the things that seems to work less good compared to previous versions is the playback.
Especially when using steps, what is mandatory if you want to follow the attacks that are conducted by your opponent, to see the messages in the info panel I often only get a glimpse of the message that a unit evaporates before it's gone again, very annoying.
And can the zoom level be adjusted?
Shadrach

RE: Improve playback

Post by Shadrach »

I assume you're talking about PBEM games? I don't know how it worked in earlier versions, but it definitely needs improvements. Being forced to watch at max zoom-out and not seeing anything of what's actually happening.

I tried to ask about this earlier and got something about the "size" of replays would be huge, which I don't understand at all... they're just stored moves, not bitmaps of everything.

tm.asp?m=4414132
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I'm pretty sure I don't understand why the size would balloon either. That's a new one on me.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I tried to ask about this earlier and got something about the "size" of replays would be huge....
Can you remember who told you that? Not that it's a crisis or anything. I'd like to inquire about the growth in size of the file being sent back and forth.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Larry, I got that from the thread I linked above:
tm.asp?m=4414132

I strongly doubted the notion of the file size being huge if viewed at a larger zoom. It makes no sense to me, then again I know little of how TOAW stores the moves - maybe they are actually bitmaps of the entire map for each move done? That'd be crazy bad design though [:'(]
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Something is surely strange with the design when you can't do a step backwards but only ahead.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”