A New Mega Campaign is Coming

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Wild Bill

A New Mega Campaign is Coming

Post by Wild Bill »

I've been reading carefully over the last months the interest of so many for the brilliantly done program by Michael Wood of Steel Panthers World at War Mega Campaign.

Some of you may be aware that I was the principal coordinator for Mega Campaign Desert Fox - 41 and Mega Campaign Watchtower - 42.

The development of a Mega Campaign is the hardest thing I have ever done in my gaming career. It is very time consuming, sometimes frustrating and can be a pain in the buttocks. You want to add an "Amen" here, Brent and all team captains? ;)

The end result, however, is something wondrous to behold: a veritable encyclopedia of history, photos, articles and some great scenarios. It has immense replay value.

I want another Mega Campaign. I approached David Heath a few weeks ago and after some discussion, we have decided to do one.

At this point I cannot divulge the theme. I will say, however, that it may catch you by surprise and I believe you will be happy with the choice.

The approach to this Mega Campaign will be a little different. I've learned a lot from the first two I did (with the help of some great folks...a joint effort!).

Hopefully, this one will offer you two completely different threads of progress, so that you can play it at least twice without ever replaying a single scenario.

Pictures, articles and some hard and unique fights await you. It is a combination of both history and what if situations.

I may not be able to answer a lot or write a lot in the next few months. I'm sure you will understand.

What do you think? Want it?
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Paul Wykes

oh yes pleeeeeeeeeease

Post by Paul Wykes »

DEFINITELY

:D

I think that about sums it up:D
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Because the forums will expect nothing less from me, I applaud a new MC. Might have been wiser to keep it secret longer though :)

It will of course give the Steel Panthers crowd something more entertaining to buzz about (have ya seen the thread traffic lately hehe).
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

I'll buy it for sure.

I wonder why you can't tell us about the development. It would be fun to "watch" as you do it, rather than have this secrecy around it. :confused:
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Its all in the formative stages right now, so not a lot to tell. And the fact I've said this much is simply as Carly Simon says, "Anticipation." Ain't that half the fun?

WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

Well, I've been anticipating CL longer than I can stand. This may be more than I can handle.;)
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

i would rather spend my money on something i can use with what i have. i'm still not sure if i'm going to buy a video card just to play CL.
i am not into eastern front. i would like to see a pacific theater campaign. if the team could produce the campaign with both east and west on one disc, that would satisfy, imo, alot more buyers. even if it was the same game with different icons and terrain.
if you build it WB, they will come
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

CL will be great no matter what they do no matter where it is set, no matter how it is setting limited, if it is a fraction of what I have seen discussed on the specific CL forum.

That said, there are yes indeed plenty that are going yawn Eastern Front done it.

Problem is there are those that have said yawn Western Front did it. Yawn Pacific did it.
I want someone to notice that there are some good sectors of the war though, that have not actually been done yet.

I am not sure if I am being to unusual, but the world has not seen an MC where you play the Japanese yet. How about the Canadians in Italy?

What about specific military units. Like a British Commando unit. Or a German mountain unit? Surely those units fought in some incredibly diverse parts of the war.

I am assuming it is to late to maximise on MCs with Steel Panthers, but hmm what a great loss of chance to not be yet another game, that releases modules in the same dull old manner.

I would buy a game, even if it focused that exclusively, as long as the game was equal to what we have already gotten used to.

We gamers don't HAVE to be given games that feature every #%@*%$ military unit and weapon ever thought up over the course of the whole frickin war eh.
Well at least I don't.

Would I bitchnchew if I paid 40 bucks to get a CL game that was just about the 1st Special Service Force's Military actions? Nope. I think it would make a heck of a game. Might also take Matrix less time to make the damned thing too :)

If over the course of buying CL modules, I had spent the equal of a 1000 bucks for a dozen plus games, if they were all as good as the first, it would be money well spent eh guys.

Here it is mid 2003, and CL ain't here. That is the only reality that counts I guess. It ain't here yet.
No I don't want it rushed. I am just wondering, are they trying to make it to perfect and to all encompassing for it's own good?
Tbone3336

Post by Tbone3336 »

Count me in for MC, and CL and Korsun, and Titans, and EYSA, and on and on and on....... Are we seeing a new golden age of wargaming? I hope so.
We aim to please, unless there is a clear headshot.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

What is vexing hehe, is now I have to stop telling everyone to stop crying for another MC as it ain't going to happen hehe.

Oh well if I have to be wrong on something, I will pick this heheh.
AlBW

Post by AlBW »

Sounds good WB. Will the Mega Campaign disk also include the entire SPWAW game? I understand this was done on another Mega Campaing CD?

Thanks.
Al
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Each MC has had the then current SPWaW program included on it actually.

No doubt a new MC will be a cool way for those not yet playing Steel Panthers (why on earth would someone not be playing SP ? :) ), to get a current copy of the current full game program as well.
Jim1954

Post by Jim1954 »

Yes, Desert Fox was v5.3, Lost Victories and Watchtower were v7.0. If they package up the old ones again, hope it is to v7.2. (I'd have to amend the guide again, I guess)
Jim1954
KMC/T
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

If would be great if ALL the PREVIOUS Mega Campaigns could also bundled with this proposed NEW MC (for those of us who didn't get them the first time around). And have it priced accordingly.

Now that would be something to look forward to :)

Cheers!
KG Erwin

"Anticipation"?

Post by KG Erwin »

I mentioned the same song in a different forum thread regarding the MC two days after Bill did. Jeez, Bill, you beat me to it--I'll give the Kunel this, either he's sending brain waves to his admirers or this rock n roller is starting to show his age. That's OK with me--Carly was (and is) a babe, and that no doubt played a part in this coincedence. In any case, I still have a lot of work to do, so I'll see you gentlemen later. The Kunel likes to have fun, but he is a hard taskmaster, too. Gotta go. ;)
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

A compilation cd would be nice.

I some how can't see it happening though.

I think it might not be impossible after this MC hits the shelf, but I am inclined to think, it would be likely they will market this MC on it's own first.

Then again, it's not my software either hehe.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Sarge that would be a great idea to have one CD with SPWAW 7.1 and 4 MC's on it! Lets see what they think!
Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear
scimitar

Post by scimitar »

I do agree with you: a compil CD with the latest version of SPWAW would be great!
Pour une dent toute la gueule!
Randy

Post by Randy »

Wild Bill or Paul, will this new Mega Campaign be able to be bought on a CD? Also what do you guys think of a compilation CD as mentioned above? Wild Bill, the new Mega Campaign sounds great. You guys make it, we'll buy it!
Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

The call as to how to offer the MC will be up to David and Matrix. I really have no say in that at all.

There are a number of good ideas, but he will have to address it. Here again a separate thread might catch his eye quicker...WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Return to “General Discussion”