REFORGER/POMCUS units?

Post new mods and scenarios here
mussey

REFORGER/POMCUS units?

Post by mussey »

Does anyone have reliable sources on what US Army equipment/forces were prepositioned in Europe around the the late 1970's before 1980? I am trying to get a handle on what specific divisions were already stockpiled. The POMCUS concept (Preposition of Materiel Configured in Unit Sets) saw the equipment of US units already at Mannheim, Kaiserslautern and Pirmasens. Yearly Reforger exercises (Return of Forces to Europe) had various US continental divisions flown in to participate in maneuvers. I am unsure if all the equipment for these participating units were there too, or were they using the equipment of other POMCUS units.

I know that after 1980 significant stockpiles of equipment were added in Belgium, Netherlands, and northern West Germany and Norway, but my expanded 1979 scenario needs to omit these. The current 1979 scenario has the US 1st Mech Div., 2nd Arm Div., 3rd Cav Rgt., 4th Mech Div. Maybe there were others?

Thanks in advance for help.
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

cathar1244

RE: REFORGER/POMCUS units?

Post by cathar1244 »

Your unit list sounds correct. All of those divisions had forward brigades in Europe in 1979. This is an interesting bit.
Over time the POMCUS program grew substantially in scope and sophistication. By the end of the 1970s it comprised equipment for three divisions, an armored cavalry regiment, logistical and medical units, and 84 additional non-divisional support units. Later another division set was added. (Few of these sets were ever complete, mind you.)
-- from https://warontherocks.com/2015/06/warch ... done-that/

Cheers
mussey

RE: REFORGER/POMCUS units?

Post by mussey »

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

Your unit list sounds correct. All of those divisions had forward brigades in Europe in 1979. This is an interesting bit.
Over time the POMCUS program grew substantially in scope and sophistication. By the end of the 1970s it comprised equipment for three divisions, an armored cavalry regiment, logistical and medical units, and 84 additional non-divisional support units. Later another division set was added. (Few of these sets were ever complete, mind you.)
-- from https://warontherocks.com/2015/06/warch ... done-that/

Cheers

Thanks again for your help. Excellent article too.

Unless I find anything to dispute this, these units will be flown into the above POMCUS sites, all other US units will risk the Battle of Atlantic, and take the slow boat:
- 1st Mech Div., 2nd Arm Div., 3rd Cav Rgt., 4th Mech Div.
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”