Fortification level 2

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

xhoel

Fortification level 2

Post by xhoel »

I wanted to address something that I personally find to be a shortcoming of WITW in terms of fort building, namely the fact that to build a fort level 2 the hex needs to be a coastal hex or fulfill the requirements to build fort level 3. This basically means that even if the enemy is 10 miles (1 hex) away from your front line, your units will not build anything and sit on a fort level 1 for an infinite time. I find this is very detrimental to German defenses and unrealistic. I am seeing the effects first hand in my GC against Hghx-0 where the WA are keeping 1 hex distance in the south and German units which have been sitting on the frontline for weeks now, have build nothing but rudimentary trenches (level 1).

I would plead with the devs to change the rule. The rule that WitE uses can be implemented. It states that units can build level 2 fortifications if they are up to 4 hexes from unfrozen, supplied enemy combat units.

I would welcome a discussion about the topic and urge the forum members to share their opinions on the topic.

Cheers,
Xhoel
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
Sammy5IsAlive

RE: Fortification level 2

Post by Sammy5IsAlive »

Can't fort units build the level up past 1? It's been a while since I've played WITW.
xhoel

RE: Fortification level 2

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: Sammy5IsAlive

Can't fort units build the level up past 1? It's been a while since I've played WITW.

The fort units can do that and the players should make use of it when constructing secondary (if they have enough admin points) especially in Italy (it is impossible/ too costly to do that in France). It would however be silly to use fort units when the enemy is very close because: 1) The construction will be slow (fort units need a turn to fill up with men and then a couple of turns to start building) and 2) because when the enemy is close there is a good chance that an attack will force you to retreat and the fortified unit will surrender.
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”