Botenko Heavy Gun Regiment

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

el cid again

Botenko Heavy Gun Regiment

Post by el cid again »

Stock order of battle location slot 3588.

I am unable to find a reference to, never mind a start of war location for,
this unit.

IF it is a real unit, the name is probably the name of its commanding officer.
But I am unable to find such a name either.

Any information would be appreciated. I have been able to identify, and even
locate, virtually every artillery unit. This is a rare exception. I want to
put it in the right place if it existed, or not put it anywhere if it didn't.
JeffroK

RE: Botenko Heavy Gun Regiment

Post by JeffroK »

The game spells it BOTANKO.

It could be either the 1st, 2nd and 3rd, all armed with the 240mm Type 45 howitzer.
or the 2,191-man Mutanchioang and 1,548-man Tungning Heavy Artillery Regiments, also with 240mm howitzers.

Ness, Leland. Rikugun: Guide to Japanese Ground Forces 1937-1945: Volume 1: Tactical Organization of Imperial Japanese Army & Navy Ground Forces . Helion and Company. Kindle Edition.

I'd go with Mutanchioang(probably japanese spelling) as wiki says the following
Mudanjiang (Chinese: 牡丹江; Manchu: Mudan bira) is a prefecture-level city in the southeast part of Heilongjiang province, People's Republic of China. It was called Botankou under Japanese occupation
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Hrafnagud

Post by Hrafnagud »

Correct. The Kwantung Army raised five heavy gun (240mm) units - the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and then the two special "regiments" - Tonei and Botankou (named for their respective locations). The Botankou unit had a strength of 2,191, while the Tonei unit was slightly smaller in authorized personnel (1,548 men). They were organized in two battalions, each with two two-gun batteries of Type 45 240mm howitzers. Each battery had 17 heavy artillery prime movers and two 10-ton cranes to move the disassembled pieces of the guns and set them up. Both units had no direct stockage of the 180-kg semi-fixed rounds, and were dependent on direct supply from the rear.
Hrafnagud

Post by Hrafnagud »

Tungning, by the way, was called Tonei by the Japanese.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Thanks guys.

For the record, Mutankiang (and various similar spellings)are various transliterations for the Chinese name.
[Different systems use different Roman letters]. But Japan used Botankou. This only became clear to me in the
last months. I posted it somewhere. Unless one is presenting the map from an Allied (Chinese in this case)
point of view, location slot 354 should be Botankou. If a unit is named for that location, presumably the
spelling would also be the same.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”