AE Forum Population and Popularity

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

AE Forum Population and Popularity

Post by Canoerebel »

Recently, I've missed a lot of old timers, such as Bullwinkle and crsutton. They still visit but much less regularly. I started to make a post to that effect - that interest in AE in the forum seems to have lagged a bit of late. When I logged on to compose the post, the first thing I did was check the roster of those logged in. What I found surprised me.

As of noontime eastern time, there were about 15 people logged in to the main AE page and a similar number in the AAR page. Those are healthy numbers. Years ago, when WitE, and then WitW, were released, I occasionally compared both forums to see if either seemed to be a real threat to AE. For some time, WitE's forum population was competitive with AE, but after awhile WitE tailed off. WitW really never competed with AE. But in those days - this is three to five years back, the AE forum typically had numbers similar to what I found at noontime today.

We've indeed seen a lot of old timers migrate over the years, but a lot of newcomers have come. Some have stayed, some have gone. Overall, the popularity of the AE Forum seems remarkably stable.

How old is this game? 10 years this summer, I think.

Attachments
011119Forumites.jpg
011119Forumites.jpg (196.7 KiB) Viewed 401 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
btd64

RE: AE Forum Population and Popularity

Post by btd64 »

I've noticed this as well. Some have gone to Distant Worlds, TOAW4 and MWIF. My observations....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I need to dust off my Distant Worlds install files and see about playing it a bit, never could get into it.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Distant Worlds is easily my second favorite Matrix game. I'm eagerly awaiting the DW2 release and I have a game currently in progress, but haven't touched it in a few months.

I just got World in Flames as my prize for winning the Matrix Basic FFL. I've installed it and will look around a bit, but don't foresee playing it much any time soon.

I got WitP back in 2006 (UV before that) and bought AE the day it was released. (July 29, 2009 Dan [;)]) I'm in the process of getting a PBEM going with a longtime forum friend, so I'm planning to be playing AE a good bit for the next several (many [:D]) years.

Long live the Queen of Wargames!!! [&o]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Part of the recent rush I think has been that AE has been picked up by a few YouTubers backed by support from Matrix putting AE on sale.

I suspect that's accounted for an influx of new players. So remember to be nice folks!
specie1

Post by specie1 »

If you are looking for some kind of tangible measurement i can provide a little.

I posted that i was looking for a new PBEM opponent this week. I had a very specific scenario and side listed.

I got 2 emails within the first day and a subsequent post the next day.

I think that's pretty good participation for a 10 year old game.

I don't know if you would see that anywhere else.

But i wouldn't know because this is the only game i like.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

nashvillen is an inveterate peeker not posting (except maybe in the War Room, where I almost never go). When's the last time Sandman posted?

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I miss any input from the game devs, sometimes AndyMac posts but the vast majority have disappeared.

Maybe their efforts were not appreciated at the time.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Heeward

Post by Heeward »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

nashvillen is an inveterate peeker not posting (except maybe in the War Room, where I almost never go). When's the last time Sandman posted?

And here is one of the reasons i do not log in...

Even indirect harassment such as the above can drive people away / out of the forums.
The Wake
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: Heeward

Even indirect harassment such as the above can drive people away / out of the forums.

que!
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
1275psi

Post by 1275psi »

I am still here every day reading AARs, and this is still the only game I play
I am playing the penguin, (faterbong)

I can't wait to retire so I can begin another AAR

I'm trying to get the first tranch of The little ship that could"published

No game or forum will ever match this place!
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Distant Worlds you say?

Anyhow, I've recently purchased Strategic command Global War and I find it extremely interesting, for now.
Major Shane

Post by Major Shane »

I hang out here for two reasons. First, I am still learning tips of the trade, after 5 years of game play.
Secondly, I get an education here almost daily. People post so many historical or current event facts it's amazing. This forum is a professional Warfighting discussion space. I have used it to help my own work many times.
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

After tryin a lot of other period and classical wargames I have recently returned to WITP AE and rediscovered it's joys.
Still the best simulation of the theatre and time period, IMO. Althogh I want to see what the new DLC/patch for Hearts of Iron can do, it's due out the first half of 2019 and has promised to make the naval and naval/air combats more realistic for the time period
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

This is in no way harassment! This is very friendly banter between two long time forum friends. [:D][:D][:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

I recently returned as well. I concur with xj900uk - for the Pacific War complete experience (and not for the faint of heart) - I don't think you can find another simulation/game (board or computer) that provides as much detail + more realism and fog-of-war for WWII Pacific campaign.

Which makes me think an AE II - could be a possibility for Matrix games in the future. They could update some of the UI, for example, have more UI map options that are comparable to the GG East & West series, and definitely upgrade the manual and provide more tooltips/encyclopedia. Maybe a few tweaks with the overall game mechanics and system, but I would leave much of it as is, since the system really still shines even today (especially with all the beta work that has been done over the years).
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

I am still here every day reading AARs, and this is still the only game I play
I am playing the penguin, (faterbong)

I can't wait to retire so I can begin another AAR

I'm trying to get the first tranch of The little ship that could"published

No game or forum will ever match this place!

Looking forward to seeing your book and another fantastic AAR with rich character development. [:)]
We have missed your compelling prose!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

This is in no way harassment! This is very friendly banter between two long time forum friends. [:D][:D][:D]
+1, and in any case I read the comment as meaning some the long-time members who appear as present in the forum are not adding to the discussion so their "return" is not complete. Perhaps a little nudge to get them to say something.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

I sometimes visit, but not the heart to start a new campaign (for now at least)... Been enjoying WitE and more recently some John Tiller games (Normandy '44 GOLD!)

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

I came here via WitE (which I still occasionally play v AI)

I've got gamer friends who look at this game and go "absolutely no way"

Its great fun, and my current campaign as the allies is in July 1944.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”