Vichy collapse and Japan naval invasions

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

loki100

Vichy collapse and Japan naval invasions

Post by loki100 »

Ok, two more questions on things I can't understand.

I've attached a save from the decision phase for the axis second impulse in Mar/Apr 43.

I have two questions. Last impulse I moved German units into metropolitan Vichy - according to the rules Vichy should have collapsed (even though I had declared war on it with the W Allies the turn before)? Its not collapsed and no options have come up.

Second, for the third turn in succession there are a load of Japanese marines and infantry at sea waiting to do naval invasions. Doesn't matter what type of impulse I then select, the option to land never comes up. This is a purely Japanese issue, I get - and have conducted - the chance to do invasions with both W Allied and US units. Clearly in the end this is going to be game breaking (even as a solitaire game) as the Japanese can't take any control over the resources they need.

Attachments
restart2.zip
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Joseignacio

RE: Vichy collapse and Japan naval invasions

Post by Joseignacio »

No allied units in Vichy France earlier than the GE got in?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

well I had landed a British unit on Corsica and invaded Syria beforehand (N Africa remained FF).

But the RAC says 'if an axis unit enters Metropolitan France before an Allied unit ... VF collapses'. Now my definition of Metropolitan France is the mainland not Corsica but I guess that may not be the case? Something that could usefully be a wee bit clearer.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I think Corsica is part of Metropolitan Vichy France if the island was French controlled when Vichy was declared...
Peter
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

As surprising as it may seem I believe too that Corsica is considered Metropolitan Vichy.

Edit: Yes, from RAW 7.0:
If you install a Vichy government, Metropolitan France itself is divided into 2 countries - Metropolitan Vichy France (including Corsica if still French controlled) and Occupied France. A line on the map marks the border. The capital of Metropolitan Vichy France is Vichy. Paris remains the capital of Occupied France.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ah thanks, ok that explains it [;)]
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

The Japanese can invade if I restore your game, select a land action and continue it to the invasion phase, so there is nothing wrong there...

Attachments
Noproblem.gif
Noproblem.gif (510 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Peter
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Ah had forgotten that, its sometimes getting used to the planning aspect of moving to sea in one impulse and usually doing any invasions in a second impulse.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

You should be able to invade in a combined impulse (thus being able to do naval and land movements). However you'll have to control how many land moves you have.
jboldt007

Post by jboldt007 »

When I first started I’d run into the “hey why can’t I invade” thing only to realize I had used too many land moves in a combined action. That and having troops on transports instead of AMPH or because of bad weather (storms)! Paradrops can have similar timing issues.

The super combined is the awe inspiring way to conduct a major invasion because your opponent won’t have the chance to react - it’s a trade off to use the offensive chit for a land action but allow your opponent the chance to react, or use it for the super combined to get maximum troops etc. onto the beachhead quickly.
jboldt007

Post by jboldt007 »

And of course for new players the mantra is to remember that the actual invasion, like a paradrop, is a land action. There’s nothing as embarrassing as setting up a clever invasion and then selecting a Naval action by mistake (and then have the turn end !)

Return to “WIF School”