Scout helicopter employment advice

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
pensfanvw

Scout helicopter employment advice

Post by pensfanvw »

I feel that I'm slowly but surely getting a grasp of this wonderful game. However I am still very unsure on how to employ and utilize scout helicopters in this game. Can anybody offer advice?
exsonic01

RE: Scout helicopter employment advice

Post by exsonic01 »

I usually deploy them right behind the treeline or building, preferably placed in relatively high ground. Best position for me would be the treeline placed at the top of the ridge line.

Then use them to watch the area where your recon units can't see, or watch the deeper area where recons didn't infiltrated yet.
pensfanvw

Post by pensfanvw »

OK, so you employ them as recon, I was thinking they were to be used in conjunction with attack helicopters, i.e. spot for them. But after reviewing the game manual, it seems the attack helicopters do their own spotting? So if this is true, utilizing the scouts as a general recon is better? I think I may be making this more complicated than need be...
varangy

Post by varangy »

ORIGINAL: pensfanvw

I may be making this more complicated than need be...
Exactly.
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

This game doesn't describe hunter-killer system, and I'm not sure if devs have some will or idea to depict the hunter-killer mod in this game. Information from recon helicopter would be transferred to gunships, but since they can't perform attack with hunter-killer system, gunships need to aim with their own sight. So, recon helicopter in this game is more like recon from the sky, nothing more.

Too bad, Apache would've used LOAL-HI and LOAL-LO mod to engage behind the cover without direct LOS. But I guess that might create some balance issue.
pensfanvw

Post by pensfanvw »

Exsonic, I wasn't sure if the hunter-killer team concept was modeled in this game, thus my original question with the effective use of a scout helicopter applicable to this game.
Veitikka

Post by Veitikka »

ORIGINAL: exsonic01

So, recon helicopter in this game is more like recon from the sky, nothing more.

Yes. Also, helicopters don't share information with other helicopters.
Know thyself!
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

You might want to have a "retreat" destination set behind friendly lines when things get really hot up front. I found that out the hard way after seeing a message that my chopper was going down!!

Return to “Armored Brigade”