Maps

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

BeirutDude

Maps

Post by BeirutDude »

Guys, just an observation. Interest in the game has significantly dropped off and I know I WANT to get back into it, but the problem is the map development. I'd really suggest that having a more flexible way for scenario developers to develop maps would give the game longer legs. Just my 2 cents.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
CapnDarwin

RE: Maps

Post by CapnDarwin »

Al, I'm not sure what that is at this point. Right now you can use any map image you scale roughly to 64 pixels to 500 meters and then use the Map Values Editor to establish the map parameters file. William also has information and has shown how to take an make a color map to automate the values process with the map editor. We are definitely open to ideas and suggestions. The maps for Southern Storm with the new game engine will be of a similar, but slightly more detailed constructs. Since we are focused on real-world locations we don't have plans for any type of artificial tile type map maker at this time. We are discussing and thinking of ways to make map making easier, but nothing is jumping out as a viable solution right now. What would make map making easier for you? [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Well went to get back into it and found my QGIS skills had atrophied (I.e. I forgot everything) and I'm not going to take the time to relearn them. Then you have a single point of failure were everything is dependent upon one person, granted a very good person. So I don't know, but the hex tile maps are tried and true and allow for easier map and scenario development.

Is there some way to develop a large map and then do submaps off of it. like Tiller does in the Panzer/Modern Campaigns??????
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude
Well went to get back into it and found my QGIS skills had atrophied (I.e. I forgot everything) and I'm not going to take the time to relearn them. Then you have a single point of failure were everything is dependent upon one person, granted a very good person. So I don't know, but the hex tile maps are tried and true and allow for easier map and scenario development.

Is there some way to develop a large map and then do submaps off of it. like Tiller does in the Panzer/Modern Campaigns??????

Al,
Wrt hex tile maps: you can also create your maps using HexDraw - we are open to any means as long as it produces a map we can scan. IIRC, the HexDraw demo is limited in size (to 20x20 hexes); you might have to buy the full version to create larger maps, with HexDraw also having a limit wrt maximum map size.

Wrt large maps and cutting submaps from it: that can be done. HarryvdK (see the 'Mods' subforum) has created 100km+ of the Netherlands, from North Sea coast to Arnhem/border with Germany as one map, and is cutting smaller maps from it. I have done something similar for Southern Storm, where map areas were (almost) overlapping.

William
William
On Target Simulations LLC
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Thanks for the reply!

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”