land unit reconnaissance range

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
gwgardner

land unit reconnaissance range

Post by gwgardner »

For land units does the reconnaissance special ability only apply when the unit is adjacent to an enemy unit?

In the scenario I'm playing a typical infantry division has a reconnaissance ability of 43%. A cavalry division has 99%. Neither of them can 'see' through the fog of war beyond the adjacent hex. Would either of them even have the chance to identify the presence of enemy units beyond that, without being on a higher elevation? The scale is 20 KM per hex.

Lobster

RE: land unit reconnaissance range

Post by Lobster »

Open up the manual and, starting from the first page, do a search for recon. It will help you hunt down all of the specifics. Basically unit recon values help with the first round of combat and for movement. But look it up. It's scattered all around the manual.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Open up the manual and, starting from the first page, do a search for recon. It will help you hunt down all of the specifics. Basically unit recon values help with the first round of combat and for movement. But look it up. It's scattered all around the manual.
... or go through the Tutorials (I explained it in one of them I am sure).

Tutorial '41: tm.asp?m=4382552
Tutorial '42: tm.asp?m=4387818
Tutorial '42 - Editor: tm.asp?m=4401098
Tutorial '43: tm.asp?m=4390285
Tutorial '43 - Combat: tm.asp?m=4394374
Tutorial '44: tm.asp?m=4397183
Tutorial '45: tm.asp?m=4412329

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

I did that early on. Didn't answer my specific question about range.

Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

For land units does the reconnaissance special ability only apply when the unit is adjacent to an enemy unit?

In the scenario I'm playing a typical infantry division has a reconnaissance ability of 43%. A cavalry division has 99%. Neither of them can 'see' through the fog of war beyond the adjacent hex. Would either of them even have the chance to identify the presence of enemy units beyond that, without being on a higher elevation? The scale is 20 KM per hex.

Think ground units with probing patrols. They won't see far past the adjacent hex. The recon special ability has several effects on combat and disengagement that can vary depending on enemy recon levels and terrain.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”