Dense Terrain

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Chris21wen

Dense Terrain

Post by Chris21wen »

While uodating the manual I've come across 'Forts level 3 and above will count as dense terrain.' There's no reference to it in the manual and only sketchy ref in the updates.

There is this in the manual:

'15.3.1. Terrain
.... The terrain type in a hex (6.2.1) also determines the average distance (range) for combat between ground elements. This is important for things like AFV versus infantry combat, as the closer ranges in urban hexes will allow infantry to do better versus AFVs.'

Could someone clarify effects, bonuses etc?
Telemecus

RE: Dense Terrain

Post by Telemecus »

This relates more to how the battle is resolved. It starts with the longest range weapons - such as aircraft and artillery first. Only after long range element clashes are resolved does it go on to shorter range elements such as infantry squads. It is quite possible for instance for artillery to disrupt opposing ground elements first so they never take part in the battle at all.

Once you have the picture of how battles are resolved by going from longest ranges to shortest ranges you can appreciate that the ability of tanks to shoot at infantry first before they can shoot back is an advantage lost in dense terrain.

Perhaps the best explanation though can be found by watching the battle messages as a battle is resolved on the highest message level you can bare - level 7 if you feel really strong.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Belay that I found it in an early update that I missed.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

If you insist on talking like that, you may be better off in the forum for War in the Pacific- Admiral's Edition.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

If you insist on talking like that, you may be better off in the forum for War in the Pacific- Admiral's Edition.

[:D]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”