GD1938V3 First Game

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

LJBurstyn

GD1938V3 First Game

Post by LJBurstyn »

In this game I am playing the Axis powers.
Summary so far...

Peace is still in effect.

Germany has influenced Austria (in spite of Allied efforts to stop) to become part of Germany as it was destined to be. Czechoslovakia was threatened and surrendered without a fight. Germany continues it build up as it sees war in the future as it's destiny is fulfilled.

Italy continues to limp along trying to keep up with it's big brother.

Japan fights China while attempting to modernized it's army and economy. Losses on the front make modernizing much more difficult. And the moral blockade imposed by the neutral USA has put a time deadline for acquiring new resource sources.
cpdeyoung

RE: GD1938V3 First Game

Post by cpdeyoung »

It is 30 May 1938 and China is attempting to make itself whole again against the Japanese aggressors.

America is quiet politically, but the military and naval commanders are thinking ahead to possible conflicts.

Great Britain and France have allied to explore rearmament. We are worried about the large German and Italian forces on the French borders.
rtoolooze

Post by rtoolooze »

I'll be watching this to help me learn.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Anxious to see what will happen!
How are you doing with the Chinese, cdpdeyoung?
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

25 July 1938

Here is a map of the current situation at the start of the Chinese turn.

Attachments
FirstGameB..Question.jpg
FirstGameB..Question.jpg (160.92 KiB) Viewed 821 times
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

Japan's view:
The Chinese have retreated to the mountains where my attacks are more costly and China can attack vulnerable position in the fields surrounding the mountains with less cost than I can attack their mountain positions. Good tactic but frustrating.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

22 August 1938

France and Great Britain continue to rearm.

The USN is doing recon visits to Japanese ports. There are USN submarines off the German ports also.

China thanks the Allies for the help they are sending. China is trying to hold the line.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

19 September 1938

France and Great Britain are working with other European nations to discourage German and Italian adventurism. Sweden and Romania are in consultation currently.

China has reclaimed the small colonial town of Hohhot. Even if we are not able to hold it this Communist victory gives heart to the Chinese people.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

17 October 1938

Things remain calm in Western Europe.

In China the battles continue, with China perhaps more aggressive

Japan could be looking at different enemies. England and France are possible, but so is the Soviet Union. None of this is immediate, but the Axis is now a fully linked alliance structure. I do not remember Japan ever taking the lead in the attack on either the West, or the Soviet Union, but it has a certain logic. If Japan's enemies wanted to concentrate on her they would face powerful nations on the other side of the world.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

What about a screenshot on combat results in China? What are the losses?
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

12 December 1938

A quiet year has passed in Europe.

A much bloodier month in China with both sides attacking aggressively.

Here is the butchers bill at the end of the year :

Attachments
FirstGameC..December.jpg
FirstGameC..December.jpg (43.42 KiB) Viewed 823 times
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

12 December 1938

Not much China can do about the mighty IJN.

Attachments
FirstGameIJNAttacks.jpg
FirstGameIJNAttacks.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 823 times
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Soviet invasion of Poland in Jan 1939. By months end, 70% of original objectives were achieved. Cold weather and snow and some poor planning left crucial objectives in North unattained. Casualties were light and opposition loses heavy. A fierce battle between Soviet tanks and Polish cavalry was brutal, and the Poles bravery allowed the destruction of a key bridge before Soviet victory could be achieved.

Attachments
battle poland.jpg
battle poland.jpg (405.02 KiB) Viewed 823 times
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

And it puts USSR at war with the allies, but also in direct contact with the Germans.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Because you made NO event to allow history to do what actually happened. And you weaken Soviet Union in the process, if they don't attack they lose those cities and Germany gains them and Germany gains a huge border advantage on the Soviets. I also take exception to no Vichy as well.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

The context of the move is Germany doesn't possess Romania and isn't even close... full starvation of fuel was the primary green light for the move... and my somewhat impetuous (foolish) disposition.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes
Because you made NO event to allow history to do what actually happened. And you weaken Soviet Union in the process, if they don't attack they lose those cities and Germany gains them and Germany gains a huge border advantage on the Soviets. I also take exception to no Vichy as well.

First of all, it is true Bombur made NO events.

Second of all I did make them all.

History can easily repeat itself, with regards to Poland.I had it almost repeat itself in a game that I am currently playing.

I have a principle. No action should be able to be taken by one regime that cannot be duplicated for another regime, or something like that. This means if Germany can attack minors, so can all other nations that share a characteristic with Germany: That would be being non-democratic in this case.

If I had allowed for formation of a Vichy France, then in theory I would have to make a "Vichy" Britain, a "Vichy" USA, and perhaps even a "Vichy" China. Those nations share the fact that they are democratic, and that their opponent was not. Also I would have to ask myself, what would happen if Italy conquered those areas? There are a whole host of questions like that, that need to be answered before a "simple" mechanic like that can be made.

The game is very free form. I think that is an advantage of the system I made. You may think that it needs to be more of a simulation, and that is where we differ in opinion. That's the whole point of a game, in my opinion: The ability to change history. Nobody wants to start a game where they know they've lost before even pressing start turn. Now that of course is the extreme position, and the other extreme is anything can happen. GD1938v3 is more of a simulation than GD1938v2, but less so than other games out there, where it is assumed that history unfolds more like in reality.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Even the Soviet army is slowed in the mud in Feb.

Small advances were hard won in the face of stout Polish resistance and unending mud. Soviets casualties rose in February. But the Soviets are on the cusp of reaching their ultimate goals of Warsaw and Krakow. Diplomatic envoys have been sent to Germany and the Allies to begin to bring this situation to a peaceful conclusion.

Attachments
battlepolandfeb.jpg
battlepolandfeb.jpg (420.36 KiB) Viewed 823 times
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

6 February 1939

Poland was viciously assaulted, but the Red Army has bled in the Polish snows.

France and Great Britain are at war with the Soviet Union, but are a long way from Poland. We are offering the USSR peace while Poland is a viable nation.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

6 February 1939

France has consulted with the Poles and decided to hold out for a Soviet offer to evacuate Polish territory. Great Britain stands by her allies. No peace offer will be entertained without Soviet withdrawal.

Return to “After Action Reports”