Our Cyber Security is a Joke

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BBfanboy

Our Cyber Security is a Joke

Post by BBfanboy »

It seems like we can do nothing to stop bad actors on our most sensitive systems!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... d9dfe7c2ea
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
AW1Steve

RE: Our Cyber Security is a Joke

Post by AW1Steve »

Oh it's no joke. And we can do a great deal to combat the problem. But WILL we? Before you answer that , ask yourself "How many people leave routers or other devices on "default settings? And how many people STILL use 1234 for a password?" The 1st and most important solution to any security , not just cyber is STOP BEING A LAZY #$%^^! Change your passwords , update your systems, and follow basic procedure. Anything beyond is gravy! (and commendable!)
joey

Post by joey »

And the world becomes a bit more dangerous....
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I work in a Defence Industry, we have painfull security requirements including not having data on server based storage.
It all depends how serious you are at being secure.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
MrKane

Post by MrKane »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Oh it's no joke. And we can do a great deal to combat the problem. But WILL we? Before you answer that , ask yourself "How many people leave routers or other devices on "default settings? And how many people STILL use 1234 for a password?" The 1st and most important solution to any security , not just cyber is STOP BEING A LAZY #$%^^! Change your passwords , update your systems, and follow basic procedure. Anything beyond is gravy! (and commendable!)

password can save you against some kid playing hacker ;)

90% routers in world is produced by Chinese companies belongs to Chinese ex-Military or ex-Intelligence officers.
Do you really think that password will help you ? :D
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: MrKane

90% routers in world is produced by Chinese companies belongs to Chinese ex-Military or ex-Intelligence officers.

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Do you really think Chinese intelligence gives a rats annus about my family photo's or anything else I might have? I'm more concerned about the little jerk with a drug habit. I'd assume "Chinese Intelligence" isn't really interested in me. Or do you know something that I should know? [:D]
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

It seems like we can do nothing to stop bad actors on our most sensitive systems!

We never hear about the times we break into their systems...if such instances exist.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

I work in a Defence Industry, we have painfull security requirements including not having data on server based storage.
It all depends how serious you are at being secure.

Obscene password requirements are actually bad for security. 8+ characters, 1+ capital, and 1+ non-letter character should be enough. Everybody should be able to memorize a password that meets those parameters and isn't a commonly guessed word.

There's a federal system that I have to log into every 3-6 months or so that resets the password every 3 months and disallows us from using any of the most recent 5 passwords. The requirements are 15+ characters, 2+ capitals, 2+ symbols, and 2+ numbers. Why?!? This system isn't even designed for regular use - it's just to check up on contract monitorings, which happen only 2 times per year. I'm not going to remember the password that I have to change literally every time I log in to the system, and can't use any of the ones that I used within the last 2.5 years.

What's that mean? That I have to write it down or keep it in an email somewhere. That is infinitely less secure than a password that I can just remember.

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

We never hear about the times we break into their systems...if such instances exist.

The virus that affected Iran's centrifuges ~2010 (? it was in Obama's first term IIRC) is widely believed to have been the work of the US intelligence services.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Do you really think Chinese intelligence gives a rats annus about my family photo's or anything else I might have? I'm more concerned about the little jerk with a drug habit. I'd assume "Chinese Intelligence" isn't really interested in me. Or do you know something that I should know? [:D]

I thought we were talking about espionage. Have you had a problem with drug addicts stealing family photos and selling them to support their habit? Or do they use the photos in the drug making process.
Do you really think Chinese intelligence gives a rats annus

Since in China "rats annus" sells for $5.00 a pound, yes they do!

In high level "Breaching", passwords would be the least of problems - getting in or keeping out.
I would not be suprized if the "unnamed contractor" was a Chinese company.

US Government IT Providers Source 51 Percent of Parts From China, Raising National Security Concerns
https://www.theepochtimes.com/u-s-gov-i ... 00557.html

inqistor

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Obscene password requirements are actually bad for security. 8+ characters, 1+ capital, and 1+ non-letter character should be enough. Everybody should be able to memorize a password that meets those parameters and isn't a commonly guessed word.
I suspect, that most breaking is made by automatic search engines, so the longer, the better:
https://xkcd.com/936/
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

This is an article in today's press which lists the top 100 passwords involved in known security breaches.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-11/chart-of-the-day-top-100-passwords/9844886

Very few words are on the list (other than really silly ones like "password").  Instead notice just how prevalent is the use of passwords comprised solely of sequential qwerty keyboard keystrokes.  People too lazy to even jumble p the keystrokes out of sequential order. Even on the few occasions when a numeric character is included, it is invariably only at the end or start of the password.

Alfred
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I don't know if the term 'lazy', is always consistently accurate. I work in IT, and the level of sheer blatant stupidity I face daily simply boggles the mind. And not just the 1st level paper pushers (which is bad enough, I talk to people in charge every day that should never have graduated High School), but even the IT security types. Sometimes I wonder if senior management can even spell IT.

Two weeks ago, security (Based in India. There are some SMART folks there, but why does EVERYTHING in the IT world have to come from there?!?[:@] ) sent out an email, with a GD hyperlink in it everyone had to use to get some software uploaded. It just SCREAMED fish, but they sent it like it was nothing at all to be concerned about. And then a week later I get a little CBT blurb I am required to complete about fish emails, social engineering, yadda yadda yadda.

Two different major server manufacturers off-shored hardware manufacture to China in the late 90's. Within 2 years not only are cheap knock-off's of these servers popping up all over Asia, but back door code was found in them [X(]. Industrial espionage on a global scale. Can anyone here say who those 2 companies were? After all, this impacted everyone who plugged in a server from these 2 global network companies from 1999 to 2008. All swept under the rug. And the factories? Production moved to Malaysia [8|]

My own son. A pretty smart kid, with a paranoid dad harping at him all the time about how folks can get into his life. Yet he downloads apps on his phone all the time. Goes to coffee shops to do homework on his laptop. Is always using his smartphone to do things. <Captain Binghamton's voice> I could just scream.

Unless and until our so called Leaders Of Industry (whatever industry you are talking about) pulls their head out, education becomes something more than lip service, AND people quit being cheap and lazy, security will just be lip service.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

He'll learn the first time he gets burned.

Or he won't.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I'm usually good with password creation. In addition I don't put personal info out on the web. No phone numbers, no birth dates, no SSN, don't bank on the web. Bills go snail mail. Don't even have cell service. No Facebook or any such. Any site that insists on certain info, I just make something up. Doesn't mean that my info hasn't been betrayed, just don't think it was by me. VA lost my info, and so did my employer. So I'm screwed either way.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Orm

Post by Orm »

What security? [&:]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Orm

What security? [&:]

Zackly.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”