Aircraft ranges

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

thedoctorking

Aircraft ranges

Post by thedoctorking »

In the Commander's Report, on the Equipment tab, aircraft ranges are listed in kilometers or miles. What is the relationship between that and hexes radius in game terms? Ten km/miles (no units specified) per hex? Or are there some modifiers I don't know about?

I guess I could open up a new game as the other side and look, but it would be handy to have the figures quoted in-game using game units...
Telemecus

RE: Aircraft ranges

Post by Telemecus »

Everything is in miles. There is already another thread from metric countries to complain.

Ten miles per hex- you can see that from the key in the top left corner of the map.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

So a plane with 474 miles range would have a radius of 47.4? Or 23.7? Is it that simple a conversion?

Then why not list the radius in hexes instead of the miles range on the Commander's Report?
morvael

Post by morvael »

For most missions range is divided by 30 to get radius in hexes (which includes flying there and back, as well as time on target, formation assembly etc), and that value is usually displayed as radius. Obviously for air transfer radius is longer.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: morvael
that value is usually displayed as radius. Obviously for air transfer radius is longer.

If you use a staging base the range to target can be up to 1.5 times the radius.

Many thanks to Mamluke that the range for airtransfer is 3 times radius - as seems to be confirmed here.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Aha! Thanks, I knew it was something like that, happy to have it confirmed, thanks Moravel.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”