Connection error Multiplayer

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Danne

Connection error Multiplayer

Post by Danne »

Hi,
I´m writing to report a connection error in multiplayer mode during all attempts with different players. We all purchased the game: Close Combat, Panthers in the fog via Steam and have the same version (v 1.02).
We get the message: Unknown command failed, unknown error.

The same issue is published in the lobby by others too. Please could you see to it? Its very frustrating to buy a game that doesn't work! The same issue applies with Close Combat: A gateway to Caen. The heart of the CC series is the multiplayer option, without that the game becomes quite obsolete. We received a diffuse answer from Slitherine support (Joe Miller) but nothing has happened and its been 5 days now. Not the best publicity before the new release...

Kind regards
Daniel Ericsson
Stockholm Sweden
PipFromSlitherine

RE: Connection error Multiplayer

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

There is a server issue which the team are having trouble tracking down. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
GeeBB

Post by GeeBB »

I'm a little concerned as Daniel's message above was posted in May, now it July and I'm having issues?

I posted this message earlier in another thread ....I recently (4 weeks ago) bought this game, and initially it worked on multiplayer (via the lobby). It now won't work at all, and is clearly not a firewall issue as it worked before, and also, as Gateway to Caen works fine.
Need a solution as I bought the game to play predominantly on multiplayer.
Glen
PipFromSlitherine

There are no known MP issues currently so we will need to dig into it with you more. What error messages are you seeing, and where in the MP setup flow?

Cheers

Pip
GeeBB

Post by GeeBB »

HI Pip,

Thanks for getting back to me. I play the game with my son (under the same roof), and also with a friend. In both instances we have the same issue. We have all bought the game from Steam.

So....when in the lobby, sometimes one of us gets a message "Get forum root failed. User name or password incorrect", but we are still able to see each other in the forum. NB. We also get this message in Gateway to Caen, however the multiplayer works fine.

We select either host or join, and then accept...and get the message..."connecting to your opponent" After a minute or two the message appears, "Connect to opponent failed, unknown error".

Will be grateful if you can resolve this.
Glen
PipFromSlitherine

Have you opened your router ports to allow for direct connection? The connection panel should tell you if you are connecting directly or not.

Cheers

Pip
PipFromSlitherine

The forum connection seems to be working correctly, so the failure to see it makes me think that there is a firewall issue that is preventing the game from accessing the internet. But it sounds like you are able to see the other players in the lobby list?

Cheers

Pip
GeeBB

Post by GeeBB »

Yes I can see other players, and Close Combat Gateway to Caen works fine on multiplayer via the lobby, which makes me think that the firewall isn't a problem (that is unless the games operate differently). Not sure how to open router ports?
Glen
PipFromSlitherine

I will double check with the server team, but it is certainly very odd. IIRC the details for MP ports are in the manual or readme. How to open the ports is specific to your router model.

Cheers

Pip
GeeBB

Post by GeeBB »

Hi Pip, Any news on this issue?

I tried to play with my online friend again on Thurs, and we still have the same problem. Yet as before, Gateway to Caen works fine.
If you want, I'm happy to get online and try to connect with you, maybe then you'll see what the issue is?

Glen
Glen
PipFromSlitherine

No more information as yet, but I am 99% sure this is a local issue, otherwise the forums here and on Steam would be filled with the cries of players not able to connect. Have you tried opening your router ports?

Cheers

Pip
PipFromSlitherine

The server team have made some changes on our end. Can you please try connecting again and let us know if there is any improvement.

Cheers

Pip
sevob

Post by sevob »

Hello,
please can you tell me which is the port to be open in router settings? In Gateway to Caen it was 1944 and works fine.
Thanks, see you in multi.
PipFromSlitherine

ORIGINAL: sevob

Hello,
please can you tell me which is the port to be open in router settings? In Gateway to Caen it was 1944 and works fine.
Thanks, see you in multi.
Are you having issues connecting via the routing server, or do you just want to set up to connect directly?

Cheers

Pip
sevob

Post by sevob »

When connecting to another player, the game writes "Connecting to your oppenent" for several minutes without end. During this at the bottom left of the screen appears "your opponent is ready" and nothing else. This happened also in Gateway but in that case after several attempts it worked. Not here in Panther in the Fog.
Thanks.
paasju5

Post by paasju5 »

Hello all!

I'm writing from Finland.

I got this game yesterday and I have this problem too: "Get forum root failed. User name or password incorrect".

I did open everything for this game from my firewall, out and in.
If I try to register, it says that this email has already been registered for this serial.

What can we do now?

I even tried to after I had closed my firewall completely, Same happened: "Get forum....."
Please, help us with this or I will return this game!

Attachments
Multiplayerproblem.jpg
Multiplayerproblem.jpg (35.93 KiB) Viewed 660 times
paasju5

Post by paasju5 »

Hello Daniel,

Have you found any solution for this problem yet?

Yours, Juha
PipFromSlitherine

ORIGINAL: paasju5

Hello all!

I'm writing from Finland.

I got this game yesterday and I have this problem too: "Get forum root failed. User name or password incorrect".

I did open everything for this game from my firewall, out and in.
If I try to register, it says that this email has already been registered for this serial.

What can we do now?

I even tried to after I had closed my firewall completely, Same happened: "Get forum....."
Please, help us with this or I will return this game!

It may be worth contacting support@slitherine.co.uk in case there is a problem with your username or password and they can reset it for you.

Cheers

Pip
paasju5

Post by paasju5 »

Hello!

Joe from support has reset my password and username and now login to Panthers in fog works fine.

Thank you Joe.

One problem still exists. Where are all the people for multiplayer games?!?!?!

Yours, Juha
nic0

Post by nic0 »

Hey guys,
here is an advice.
if you are getting this error "Get forum root failed. User name or password incorrect" after reading this thread, and did not succeed to solve it, it might be that you are running some kind of ad-blocker addon or server, if you dont, then try to change your dns server til googles: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

if you are running ad-blocker, try disable it - in my case it was AdGuard server causing some kind of blocking, after disabling it, i was able to login to the lobby. ill try to whitelist slitherine com and see if it fix it with ad-blocker on.

Return to “Tech Support”