Airfield Damage Repair and Suppport

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

GeneralDad

Airfield Damage Repair and Suppport

Post by GeneralDad »

I would like to repair some airbases and move support into them so that I can transfer aircraft.

My size 2 temporary port airbases have 50% damage as the rules state for when they were built. However, in spite of having air support units at the base damage is not being repaired at temporary port airbases at the 10% per day rate so the bases stay stuck at 50% damage. How to I get these bases to repair damage?

Also, I overran the Foggia area after bombing the bases full of LW aircraft. So these bases are damaged as well. They don't currently have support units attached. How can I attach support units and repair the air bases?

One trick that I found for the size 2 temporary port air bases is to set them to expand. This brought in GS engineers to some of the bases and started repair. This won't work with a size 3 base like Foggia, though. Also, the GS engineers show up on a somewhat random basis.

Why doesn't 10% per day repair work for a base with ground support elements?
Is there any way to take direct control of GS engineers so I can send them where I want them?
Is there a way to send ground support to a base manually?

Thanks,
GeneralDad

Lovenought

RE: Airfield Damage Repair and Suppport

Post by Lovenought »

You can assign engineers directly to the hex. They will start to repair any Ports, Railyards, Airfields, and anything else. It costs Admin Points though.

You can force an airbase to have maximum ground elements by clicking on one of the TOE buttons and setting it to 100%
GeneralDad

Post by GeneralDad »

Thanks, that answers it for moving the engineers and ground support. I still don't get why the 10% per day does not work on temporary port airfields.

GeneralDad
EddyBear81

Post by EddyBear81 »

It's sometimes very intricate, but I think it has to do with the level of available supplies in the City/Hex.

=> Anyway, make sure the area is well supplied, assign the engineers manually, and hope for the best !
coolts

Post by coolts »

IIRC Airbase ground support are there for the aircraft only. They wont mend the roof :)
As i found out when troubleshooting airbase expansions stuck at 1%,(thank you again Helpless), you have to have attached eng. or const. units or have them there under their HQ orders if you activate "priority repairs".
"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”