OT: The Chinese Had Panzers?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

OT: The Chinese Had Panzers?

Post by Footslogger »

I was wondering if what I heard was true?

Also, if the Chinese did have panzers, how did they do against the Japanese tanks?

Big B

RE: OT: The Chinese Had Panzers?

Post by Big B »

The Chinese had Soviet T-26 light tanks, they certainly would have been a match for any Japanese tanks of the era...I don't know of any tank vs tank engagements between the two.
Later, the Chinese used M4 Mediums, M-18 Hellcat TD's, and M3A3 Lights. The Chinese had a deal in place to receive some 250 M2 Light tanks - but I don't know if they ever arrived before Pearl Harbor.

spence

Post by spence »

From the links it would seem that the Chinese only managed to have one armored/mechanized division in the field by 12/41 but that that division had tanks that most certainly could compete with the armored units of the IJA on a very adequate basis.

In PBEMs I've seen IJA armored units advance hundreds of miles into the Chinese rear areas (apparently buying or confiscating gasoline from the "all too common vendors" of such commodities in the Chinese hinterlands or else hauling their gasoline on some very strong and fast horses/mules). Against the average Chinese peasant the Japanese tanks of 1941 (or 1945 for that matter) were adequate and it seems that wherever Japanese tanks attack Chinese units the tanks inflict heavy casualties on the Chinese while suffering nearly no losses themselves.

Perhaps the Japanese should have to worry a bit about running into the Chinese 200th Division. Said division apparently fought very well against the IJA/held in Burma until such time as it was outflanked and cut off.

The IJA had 4 years to overwhelm China when China had almost no friends in the world. Japan failed and created a stalemate. The game seems to portray Japan's simple solution to said problem was to declare war on the rest of the planet. Such a portrait of anything even approaching reality is UTTERLY LUDICROUS. At the very least the IJ Player should have to worry about getting a bloody nose when he runs into the wrong Chinese unit.
Big B

Post by Big B »

The Chinese 200th Div lost nearly 2/3's of it's tanks (Soviet) in operations on the Burmese/Chinese border area around 1941-1942, I have read.
However, the last of the Nationalist Chinese Army's T-26's (about a battalion in strength) were still in action in the civil war of 1949...so certainly, China's pre-war tank strength was not spent in WW2....not counting USA Lend Lease.
ORIGINAL: spence

From the links it would seem that the Chinese only managed to have one armored/mechanized division in the field by 12/41 but that that division had tanks that most certainly could compete with the armored units of the IJA on a very adequate basis.

In PBEMs I've seen IJA armored units advance hundreds of miles into the Chinese rear areas (apparently buying or confiscating gasoline from the "all too common vendors" of such commodities in the Chinese hinterlands or else hauling their gasoline on some very strong and fast horses/mules). Against the average Chinese peasant the Japanese tanks of 1941 (or 1945 for that matter) were adequate and it seems that wherever Japanese tanks attack Chinese units the tanks inflict heavy casualties on the Chinese while suffering nearly no losses themselves.

Perhaps the Japanese should have to worry a bit about running into the Chinese 200th Division. Said division apparently fought very well against the IJA/held in Burma until such time as it was outflanked and cut off.

The IJA had 4 years to overwhelm China when China had almost no friends in the world. Japan failed and created a stalemate. The game seems to portray Japan's simple solution to said problem was to declare war on the rest of the planet. Such a portrait of anything even approaching reality is UTTERLY LUDICROUS. At the very least the IJ Player should have to worry about getting a bloody nose when he runs into the wrong Chinese unit.
RichardAckermann

Post by RichardAckermann »

I do not know all too much about the war in china, before and during the games time era.
What were the reasons for japan to only achieve a stalemate?

spence

Post by spence »

What were the reasons for japan to only achieve a stalemate?

Lack of a modern of a rail net and a horse drawn supply organization. Japanese troops had better equipment and greater combat power than the Chinese but were overextended logistically. The Chinese had more men than the Japanese had bullets.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Look at the combat losses for KMT China in 1937-1945 period. KMT switched to defence after Dec 7,1941 knowing that is was now USA's turn to bleed themselves in the war.
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

Its too bad that Symons Asian roads mod was never fully developed before he left. Also the Supply restraints we see in Burma and Eastern India should be extended to China to represent the difficulty of supplying a major offensive.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Big B

The Chinese had Soviet T-26 light tanks, they certainly would have been a match for any Japanese tanks of the era...I don't know of any tank vs tank engagements between the two.
Later, the Chinese used M4 Mediums, M-18 Hellcat TD's, and M3A3 Lights. The Chinese had a deal in place to receive some 250 M2 Light tanks - but I don't know if they ever arrived before Pearl Harbor.

According to the book "Am Himmel uber China 1937-1940" - first published in Russian version in Moscow 1980 - the SU provided
China with 82 T-26 tanks in 1938. Also in all 1550 other vehicles, 1317 artillery pieces, 14000 machine guns, 1.9 mill. artillery
shells, 164 mill. rounds of rifle ammo, 82000 bombs of various types and 985 aircraft.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Look at the combat losses for KMT China in 1937-1945 period. KMT switched to defence after Dec 7,1941 knowing that is was now USA's turn to bleed themselves in the war.

Both Chang and the Communists realized that with the US entry into the war meant that the Japanese would be defeated elsewhere and eventually forced to leave China. But this is not the only reason they were on the defensive. By 1941 the Japanese held more than 90% of the Chinese industrial base. China did not have a whole lot to fight with after that. But of course, we should not forget the estimated 2.5 to 3 million Chinese troops that did die fighting the Japanese, and the estimated 20-40 million civilians.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

In 1937, during the Battle of Shanghai, China committed around 40 light tanks to the battle. The majority of which were Vickers Mark E Type B light tanks. There were also a few Panzer I present. And several armored cars as well. The end result of the battle was a Chinese defeat and loss of almost all their tanks and armored cars.

From what I've read, this single battle effectively limited China's ability to carry out any offensive operations until late in the war, due to the loss of so many of their best soldiers.

In the end, the Japanese tanks were not better than what the Chinese fielded, but there were 7 times as many Japanese tanks as Chinese.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
spence

Post by spence »

So we now know what happened in 1937 but earlier in the thread we hear that the Soviets provided 80 odd T-26 tanks in 1938. While it is true that the KMT didn't have a lot of tanks and certainly lacked the German-style doctrine for the employment of tanks it is not true that they had no tanks.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/china/default.asp

This is a decent albeit brief listing of armor used by China in WW2..

I was also able to verify some Marmon Herringtons produced in Indianapolis as 2 and 3 man "tankettes", but they ended up in Alaska and Africa with the Brits, none getting into Chinese service.

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Many types of Panzers are rolling off the production lines in China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OdGh8guiFU

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Why did the Chinese have German Panzers? - Sino-German Cooperation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2FJY4XULuY

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

1937 German Trained Chinese Army

The 88th Division was one of the first divisions to be reorganized and alongside the 36th Division and 87th Division became the cream of the crop of the National Revolutionary Army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUGxZQRzQOg

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Japanese crew with their capture Panzer I Ausf. A in China

Attachments
86362511ae..vehicles.jpg
86362511ae..vehicles.jpg (31.62 KiB) Viewed 456 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

挑戰新聞軍事精華版--抗戰時期的中日坦克對決