39-45 (aka War In Europe)

Post new mods and scenarios here
Silvanski

39-45 (aka War In Europe)

Post by Silvanski »

39-45
Patrick Feyret
(assumed to be the ultimate version of his War In Europe)

50 km/hex
1 week per turn
311 turns

::PO for both sides::

TOAW IV conversion by Silvanski
*fixed reconstitution set per nation
so there is no risk of Red Army units
reconstituting in London or Madrid ;-)
*MRPB 4
*NAD 100
*Added eqp file to have V1 and V2 named

*Note that the original scenario was in French.
Placenames will be mainly in the French equivalent
Attachments
39-45.zip
(526.84 KiB) Downloaded 1154 times
The TOAW Redux Dude
basilstaghare

RE: 39-45 (aka War In Europe)

Post by basilstaghare »

I like the scope and feel of this scenario. Looking at some of equipment choices, Im wondering why the designer used some of the equipment he did? AC47 Gunships, P-39's for French and some Axis Fighters, M5 Stuarts as early war tanks for Axis and Allies, etc.. Maybe database limitations?

I also notice that even though the Italians are not yet in the war at game start (Sept '39) much of their army is active and available anyway. I guess most folks handle with house rules or something?

Thanks.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Thanks for making this available.

Playing the Axis, in Sept 1939 the potential minor Allies' air forces are seemingly active. Air AI uses the Finnish air against Soviet ships, Italian vs Allied ships in the Med, etc. Is there any way to stop that? Those forces are shown as inactive, but are not as far as the AI is concerned.

I thought the way to stop it is to not allow the Air AI to control those forces, but they are not checked as under PO control in the formation list.

basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Playing the Axis, in Sept 1939 the potential minor Allies' air forces are seemingly active. Air AI uses the Finnish air against Soviet ships, Italian vs Allied ships in the Med, etc. Is there any way to stop that? Those forces are shown as inactive, but are not as far as the AI is concerned.

I thought the way to stop it is to not allow the Air AI to control those forces, but they are not checked as under PO control in the formation list.

I have experienced the same thing. Doesnt seem to be anyway to stop the inactive countries from conducting air attacks. Enjoying the scenario though...
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Are you playing 'free-style' or keeping to an historical track, in terms of when to invade, etc. I'm playing along a historical timeline, but given that the scenario starts with Germany already at war with Denmark and the Low Countries (at least their units are active, and I saw I could target Dutch troops in 1939), one could certainly do things differently.

basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Free-style. Ex: I invaded France after Poland fell in Sep '39. The winter cease fire went into effect before I could take out France though I did force the low countries to surrender and made it to the outskirts of Paris. Waiting for the winter sitzkrieg to end to renew the conquest. Feb 40 right now...

What is your take on the scale being divisional vs. corps level? I am having some severe traffic control issues with the high number of units and the narrow front in France. Maybe this gets better when the East front opens up. I would also have liked the designer to have used some different naming conventions for the formations vs. 1939/1 etc.. Anyway, still enjoying the scenario.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I'd prefer corps level at this scale, but at least the number of divisions seems to be historical. The naming is unfortunate. There's no indication of overstacking, at 9 infantry divisions per hex, although I don't see the green circle indicator of good stacking either, so I'm not sure that feature is being modeled.

rwglaub

Post by rwglaub »

How about installation instructions?
Robert Glaub
rwglaub@yahoo.com
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Im wondering why the designer used some of the equipment he did? AC47 Gunships, P-39's for French and some Axis Fighters, M5 Stuarts as early war tanks for Axis and Allies, etc.. Maybe database limitations?

Yeah. To put a finer point on the issue, I wonder why some armies like the US and Soviet seem to at least have historical items of equipment while the German forces have M5 Stuarts and at some point seem to accumulate Soviet tanks as the heavy tanks get added. Was there a different equipment file at some point?

At this scale, it might be better to just use modified equipment like "generic light tank" vice trying to track the many different models.

ETA. Found this comment on the 'net.
Scenarios for The Operational Art of War II - Modern Battles:

39-45 by Patrick Feyret.
The first – and some say still the best - of all WWII strategic simulation playable against the computer. The downside is that it uses the modern database.

Cheers
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

*Note that the original scenario was in French.
Placenames will be mainly in the French equivalent

Attached .zip file is the map in .mml format with place names in English.

Cheers
Attachments
3945.zip
(53.88 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”