10th Br Ar Div in Torch

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

blackcloud6

10th Br Ar Div in Torch

Post by blackcloud6 »

I'm playing as the West Allies in Torch to Tunisia. The British 10th Armoured Division is in Egypt at Tanta (254,324) and shows 14-0. It is assigned to GHQ Mid-East. I can't move this unit. How can I get it activated or does it activate on a schedule.
Helpless

RE: 10th Br Ar Div in Torch

Post by Helpless »

Map live text says that it is frozen for 37 turns, which makes it a permanent garrison unit.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
blackcloud6

Post by blackcloud6 »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Map live text says that it is frozen for 37 turns, which makes it a permanent garrison unit.

Thanks, how did you find that out?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

On the map live text (appears once you hover mouse over the unit), you should see something like "Frzn 27".
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
blackcloud6

Post by blackcloud6 »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

On the map live text (appears once you hover mouse over the unit), you should see something like "Frzn 27".

Got it! Thanks!
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

ORIGINAL: blackcloud6

I'm playing as the West Allies in Torch to Tunisia. The British 10th Armoured Division is in Egypt at Tanta (254,324) and shows 14-0. It is assigned to GHQ Mid-East. I can't move this unit. How can I get it activated or does it activate on a schedule.

Historically 10th Armoured Division was not involved in the pursuit of the Axis forces across the North African coast.

"With the Axis forces in retreat, the division was not required in the advance so remained in Egypt. It moved to Palestine on the 1st January 1943, and spent time in Syria before returning to Egypt on the 27th September 1943. The division disbanded in Egypt on the 18th June 1944."

http://www.britishmilitaryhistory.co.uk ... -1942-.pdf

The frozen units in this scenario irritated me and I modified it so all the frozen and withdrawing units are available to use.

You can download it here.

tm.asp?m=4278496

Obviously it's ahistorical but I reasoned that I am playing as the theatre commander and it would be within my purview to plead / beg / demand units are made available or are not withdrawn.

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
blackcloud6

Post by blackcloud6 »

The frozen units in this scenario irritated me and I modified it so all the frozen and withdrawing units are available to use.

Interesting, thanks. It should be a good variant.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

The 10th is at full strength, in reality it was rebuilding after horrendous (tank) losses in El Alamein (its armoured brigade was involved there, not sure about the infantry components) so the freeze is OK. Other units should not be unfrozen either as they represent a guard/protection force. They will unfreeze if enemey comes close.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

The 10th is at full strength, in reality it was rebuilding after horrendous (tank) losses in El Alamein (its armoured brigade was involved there, not sure about the infantry components) so the freeze is OK. Other units should not be unfrozen either as they represent a guard/protection force. They will unfreeze if enemey comes close.

If the enemy comes close to those units in that scenario then the player is in a lot of trouble.

XXXCorps
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

I am amazed you could use the extra units without just running out of supply faster. I have never been unit limited in this scenario... only supply limited.
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

me neither tbh
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

I modified the scenario mostly because I could. The frozen units irritated me so I unfroze them. As blackcloud6 said, it's a variant and a completely unhistorical one at that.

XXXCorps

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”