Board game mod ( ready to use + New upload to simplify install)

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
welk

Board game mod ( ready to use + New upload to simplify install)

Post by welk »

The mod is now provided in a single zip file that contents the complete Boardgamemod
VERSION: 1.0

To simplify the install, mod directories are now just bitmaps and interface : you will just have to copy these 2 directories in the appropriated directory of game, depending what you use (default campaigns, custom campaigns, localized campaigns, etc)

The mod gives the game the look of a classical board wargame
The mod changes nothing else in game than graphs and bitmaps effects

TO DOWNLOAD
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ahry9vf64 ... ard-Mod.7z

Capture screen : see Attachment below

IMPORTANT NOTE : To unzip the mod, you have to use 7z (not Winrar or winzip)

You may get 7z it here :
http://www.7-zip.org/

It works fine but one only unconvenient : if you have not 7z on your PC, compressed files with 7Z may not be opened with Winzip (I think Winrar may do it but not sure)

Other precision => with 7Z, to unzip a file, you have to use the special menu of 7z, not the general "extract menu"

The mod uses some excellent struff founded in 653H Mod (credit : sPzAbt653) for road, trains and cities, but with special opacity + I have modified Mines and oil)

SCREEN LEVEL ZOOM 2
Attachments
LEVEL2.jpg
LEVEL2.jpg (445.39 KiB) Viewed 4686 times
welk

RE: Board game mod

Post by welk »

Founded a way to give a boardgame look, will be better
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

What ? No 3R Map Mod [:@]

lol, I had started one myself but then I got sidetracked by 653H [:)]

Here is a 3R Fort is you want to use it.
Attachments
FortFull.zip
(7.05 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
welk

Post by welk »

Good stuff, thanks. I think it woud be possible to do a 3R mod but I am afraid for the lot of needed work and I have doubt about final utility of this enormouw work : 3R is a old graph game, and the 3r graphs war very simple and basics (dos game). It was usefull with SC1 or SC2, that had "old graphs", but these of SC3 ar emore better and "moderns"

So, to want to reproduce the 3r environment with SC3 would be à little wasting : I do not like the actual look of SC3 (too dark) but the graphs of grounds are very sophisticated and 100% ok for a board game mod map

I will take this orientation : work will be fast, light,and the resultat wille adapt the very good graphs of SC3 in a less darker look : players will have the exact impression to play a good old classical no PC wargame
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I do not like the actual look of SC3 (too dark)
Others agree with you on this, including me. After 6 months of playing, I have gotten used to it [;)]

However, I see your initial work to 'lighten' the map and wish you luck. Based on your past work and talent level, I am sure you will create something awesome. When I was working on it, I thought that the first step was creating a clear terrain that was 'lighter' yet clean and professional looking, and similar to 3R. Below is an example. I will gladly send these files to you if you like, they are too large to post here [click my name at left for my e-mail].

Attachments
CearJPG.jpg
CearJPG.jpg (119.36 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

the graphs of grounds are very sophisticated and 100% ok for a board game mod map
Yes, indeed we can produce much better looking stuff these days. It is nice for old times sake to see a modern rendition of the 3R map, but ... we can make it better !
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Wow, great stuff Welk! I love(d) the 3AR you did for SC1 and really like what you did here with the map. Any idea of when it will be ready?
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
welk

Post by welk »

Thanks SPZ for graph proposition, but 3R is now for me a old time[:D] : after testing my new SC3 gemm, I erased from my PC the old venerable 3AR : end of a 20 years story love with

Marcus: will be awailable in some days, I think. At this time, I do working tests with level zoom 1 and I will after expand the solutions to level zoom 2

The fog of war sprites are now a very light shadow on the map, near simila of the background but a little darker (not seen in this screen)

Sorry for my very high level and nice english, I am a french frog [:D]

Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Nice start Welk, looking forward to seeing the finished work.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
welk

Post by welk »

Thanks Agent S. The screen does not reflect the real effect of SC3 graphs in game, it's a jpg image, not very good
welk

Post by welk »

The mod is now finished for the zoom level 1 (normal level) and high level (far strategic), it work with and without national colors, but not with intermediate zoom level 2= : I keep the vanilla 2level zoom to showh the difference between the 2 versions of graphs

Would be good to be tested but it's an enormous pack of 83 Mo : if Matrix-Slitherine could have here a space to upload mods and scenarios as it was on Battlefront, it would be better (I have not dropbox and I want not to use it)

Uploading the files will be a heavy problem in modding with SC3 : the most little mod makes very fast 25/50 Mo [8|]
welk

Post by welk »

2 SCREENS one with national colores, one without
+ raining effect in Switzerland

TYhe mountains are now like ice : no visual graph effect for nationality = the map is moore claer in this way + 2 or 3 other tips I used

I think SC3 is more fun to play with a "clear map" : all things in game are more easy to see : map looks like a classical geography map

Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

That is outstanding work Welk! Combined with Agent S's counter mod, this is really going to elevate what I think is one of the better WW2 games of the last five years! If you need help to post it somewhere (Dropbox?) I will be happy to assist.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
TheBattlefield

Post by TheBattlefield »

Yep. Nice work Welk. [:)]
Elite Forces - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4491689
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

You should be able to store a large file on a cloud drive like google, dropbox, etc, then perhaps you could PM people the link, (or post it here).
Nice work.
Just a thought, how about making the lower dashboard/ information panel translucent or transparent.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
welk

Post by welk »

Thanks [:'(]

it's juste a first test, i will improve some little things later

Concerning opacity, the mod includes a alternate transparent box and also alternate sup transparent buttons (purchase, etc) : all thing may be done with the game, very easy (the jump map may be also sett with opacity, I tested, but to read the map is problematic in this case

I set the opacity to 50/60% depending of buttons and boxes, but other choices are possible working with Gimp (more or less opacity)

Concerning upload, I will see possible solutions. But a central uploading system on Matrix/SLITHERINE would be more practical : In other times, BattleFront did that for SC, why could not Matrix/Slitherine do the same ? [;)]
welk

Post by welk »

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

TI think is one of the better WW2 games of the last five years!

I agree. I do not love the vanilla look of SC3, too darker for my eyes, but with a 100% adapter "board wargame look", this game is a gemm : all is fun and easy to do, very clear, including in editor (a fabulous treasure of Ali baba [:D], all what a moddeur needs is in).
welk

Post by welk »

The look of map in Middle-East : 100 % board wargame ambiance

I modified the oil graph to reintroduce the old SC1 oils graphs + a little drop of oil
welk

Post by welk »

Download links are now in first post
Hartmann

Post by Hartmann »

The advertising in the main forum worked - cool mod! [8D]

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”