Europe In Turnmoil Mod.

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
kirk23

Europe In Turnmoil Mod.

Post by kirk23 »

I have started a new mod for this superb game,the name of the new Campaign scenario is EUROPE IN TURNMOIL.

I dedicate this mod to warspite1.[;)]

NB: The scenario turns are now simultaneous.[:)]

Download link for Europe in turmoil mod ( Version 1 )

Europe in turmoil mod

Please unzip and save mod to here: Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - War In Europe\Campaigns

Attachments
Europe in turmoil.jpg
Europe in turmoil.jpg (152.26 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Make it so!
kirk23

RE: Europe In Turnmoil Mod.

Post by kirk23 »

First changes from what is in the standard game.

New town Hackness added in the Orkney Islands.

Scapa Flow now a Major Port in the Orkneys,Royal Navy main historical base during both world wars.

Inverness,Aberdeen & Dundee are all now Cities.

Ambrose historical naval base at Dundee.

HMS Ambrose

Dundee had been a submarine base just before the First World War, though the submarines were withdrawn once the new naval base at Rosyth was completed in 1912. But as war clouds gathered again in late summer 1939, and the Royal Navy moved to its war stations, Britain's most modern and powerful submarine flotilla in Home Waters, the 2nd Flotilla, arrived in Dundee.

Even before war broke out, the Dundee boats were patrolling the North Sea, watching for German warships trying to break out into the North Atlantic. Dundee remained a vitally important Allied submarine base for the following six years, the British boats being joined by submarines from Poland, Norway, France and Holland as each of these countries fell under the Nazi heel. Dundee-based submarines played a central role in some of the most daring and important naval operations of the war.

Patrols were maintained perilously close to the enemy-held coastline in all weathers and in defiance of German aircraft and patrol vessels. Enemy warships were attacked, one Dundee submarine heavily damaging the battlecruiser Gneisenau and another blowing the stern off the cruiser Prinz Eugen. Dundee submarines patrolled far inside the Arctic Circle to help protect convoys carrying much-needed war supplies to the Soviet Union, on occasion even dicing with the mighty German battleship Tirpitz.

Enemy convoys carrying supplies and minerals vital to the German war effort were constantly attacked, so much so that the German garrison in northern Norway began to starve and had to be withdrawn.

Rosyth is now a Major Port where it should be near Edinburgh.[;)]

Attachments
Modmapchanges.jpg
Modmapchanges.jpg (181.95 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

This Campaign mod will include many changes to game play,be that Land,Air or Sea.

Just to be clear from the outset naval Capital ship units will represent 1 ship!
Destroyers & Submarines will be Flotilla's

Below is a screenshot of UK production at the start of the war,highlighted in red are all 5 King George V class Battleships.[;)]

Attachments
Britishproduction.jpg
Britishproduction.jpg (144.37 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I know there will be a lot of people who will disagree with the changes I have made to ship movement,but in order to make the naval game better I sincerely believe this change is essential.
One of the biggest problems I have with the naval game,is the distance that units can move and take part in combat,allowing units to travel 20+ hexes away from any newly discovered unit,and then swarm around that unit like bee's around honey,is just to gamey for me so I'm having none of it!
I have decided that naval units will expend 3 movement points per 25 miles sea hex,the main reason behind this is simple,the Atlantic Ocean etc were very rarely calm,so most of the time the world seas were difficult to move across.

Attachments
Warshipmovement.jpg
Warshipmovement.jpg (183.87 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Make it so!
crispy131313

Post by crispy131313 »

How might the changes to movement effect the Atlantic submarine war?
Fall Weiss II - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4183873

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: crispy131313

How might the changes to movement effect the Atlantic submarine war?

It makes all naval warfare much more cat & mouse,hit and run etc,so the Atlantic submarine war is alot more interesting,I'm having alot of fun testing so far.[:)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Ships can still move a fair distance in Cruise mode.

Attachments
Shipincruisemode.jpg
Shipincruisemode.jpg (182.67 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

In this mod Admiral Graf Spee still has a chance to be a pest to the Allied player,so no scuttle event come December,start of the war she has been ordered back to Germany.[:)]

Attachments
AdmiralGrafSpee.jpg
AdmiralGrafSpee.jpg (180.53 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

A lot has changed as per land warfare also,for example Poland is no longer a walk in the park,all Towns and Cities are much harder to overcome,if you want to capture any resource your are going to have to fight for it.

NB: The scenario turns are now simultaneous.

Attachments
Polandhar..tocrack.jpg
Polandhar..tocrack.jpg (184.6 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Poland now have a Headquarter from the start of the war,plus Warsaw now has a maximum entrenchment of 8.[;)]

Attachments
Warsawent..chment8.jpg
Warsawent..chment8.jpg (191.82 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

New German headquarter added to the game Heinz Guderian.[:)]

Attachments
Guderian.jpg
Guderian.jpg (186.41 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Naval combat scenario change benefit,in the screenshot Germany has 2 submarines discovered trying to breakthrough into the North Atlantic via the English channel,now in the the game at the present time,most of the ships that are based in Germany would be able to get involved in the naval combat straight away because most of them can move 20 hex at a time,but with my mod even the closest German destroyer can't reach the revealed Uboats.[;)]

Attachments
Germandes..bmarines.jpg
Germandes..bmarines.jpg (197.39 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
Make it so!
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

I really like your new naval concept kirk. It's very hard to have any success, IMO, with the German surface fleet when the entire RN can come down on you from any- and everywhere instantly. Part of the German tactics are to isolate elements of the RN and defeat them in detail, a near impossibility under the current rules. It should be harder to make a reaction move when you haven't planned on it ahead of time.
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

How about an event (assuming there isn't one anyway) whereby the Soviets declare war on Germany if Germany invades the UK?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Any declaration of war by the USSR should be totally depended on the amount of German forces in the East. Stalin knew that he had to wait until at least '42/'43 before he could go to war on an equal footing with Germany. So as long as there was parity between the two sides Russia would not have gone to war just because England was invaded.

One other aspect that would need to be considered is that the if Stalin was the aggressor, the Russian production and popular support would have been much reduced from what really occurred. As everyone knew about the Russo-German treaty by then and breaking that for no good reason would also have had a major negative impact on Russian (and world support). Turkey in particular would have been very upset about such a move since if Germany went down, they could be next. So Turkey should get a major boost to the Axis side if not outright Allied with Germany.

Just some real world things to consider rather than just saying if someone does X, then Y happens [:)]
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Any declaration of war by the USSR should be totally depended on the amount of German forces in the East. Stalin knew that he had to wait until at least '42/'43 before he could go to war on an equal footing with Germany. So as long as there was parity between the two sides Russia would not have gone to war just because England was invaded.

One other aspect that would need to be considered is that the if Stalin was the aggressor, the Russian production and popular support would have been much reduced from what really occurred. As everyone knew about the Russo-German treaty by then and breaking that for no good reason would also have had a major negative impact on Russian (and world support). Turkey in particular would have been very upset about such a move since if Germany went down, they could be next. So Turkey should get a major boost to the Axis side if not outright Allied with Germany.

Just some real world things to consider rather than just saying if someone does X, then Y happens [:)]

very good points, i hope kirk23 can implement something like you suggested
TheBattlefield

Post by TheBattlefield »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

I know there will be a lot of people who will disagree with the changes I have made to ship movement,but in order to make the naval game better I sincerely believe this change is essential.
One of the biggest problems I have with the naval game,is the distance that units can move and take part in combat,allowing units to travel 20+ hexes away from any newly discovered unit,and then swarm around that unit like bee's around honey,is just to gamey for me so I'm having none of it!
I have decided that naval units will expend 3 movement points per 25 miles sea hex,the main reason behind this is simple,the Atlantic Ocean etc were very rarely calm,so most of the time the world seas were difficult to move across.

I agree with you in principle with regard to your observations on the modeling of the naval warfare. However, in the implementation of a revised movement concept I believe you again turn into something "gamey". The drastic reduction of the standard movement for warships should be less problematic in this context. But I would justify this circumstance less with rough seas and rather more with a kind of "zone of control" or "search and engage" capability - so actually a reduced range through tactical procedure. If I interpret your screenshot correctly you have also significantly reduced the cruise range. With sixteen hex fields this is even below the twenty hex basic movement of the standard game. Especially in the background of the two or three week turn phases this may be the "gamey" part of your change. It should already be possible to reach a more distant target in a time that is at least as close to reality as possible. But after that no attack should be possible and in addition the consumption of a resource supply should be indicated. Both are guaranteed by the cruise movement.

To make a long thing short: I will pick up your basic idea for my own mod. I will also drastically reduce the range of action of war ships. I will leave the "cruise" range in the original setting in order to enable (closer to reality) operational ship movements. I have the legitimate hope that in this way the naval warfare will be somewhat less fleet-swarming. The cruise movement may be a more standard movement to overcome medium and longer distances and the associated consumption of supply will also increase the value of remote ports and supply bases. [:)]
Elite Forces - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4491689
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Hi like the idea of your mod, when you say capital ships will be one to one does that include BB, BC, CV, CA, CL that could be quite a lot of counters even taking away ships based outside of North Atlantic and the Med
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Yes BB _ CL are individual ships.
Make it so!
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Wow that sounds good the sea will be full of ships and subs,It's a shame that the convoy routes can't differenciate between war materials and food stocks to simulate the Kreigsmarine trying to starve Britain out of the war.
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”