Special Forces

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Uncle Lumpy

Special Forces

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Is there a minimum number of Special Forces units required to take out a Planetary Shield? And do they have invade first, or can they mix in with the other units in your invasion force?
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
Retreat1970

RE: Special Forces

Post by Retreat1970 »

Special Forces are able to land successfully on a planet in the face of defences that would vaporize normal infantry. They are also harder for enemy troop types other than Special Forces to successfully target and damage. Special Forces will prioritize enemy defense facilities and planetary defense units before attacking other enemy troop types. These abilities make them very valuable as part of a large invasion. Because of their attack strength, they are also excellent at quick strikes on smaller planets.

One is good, two is better, or 10. If you read the line about prioritize facilities and PDU's, then you'll know what they'll do if invading alone or with an army. BTW the above is from the manual.
Uncle Lumpy

RE: Special Forces

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Thanks for your reply, Retreat1970. I've read the manual, too. [:)]
I went the over kill route. Landed 4 ships of 6 each SF. Planetary shield evaporated, and SF units almost took over the planet before my main invasion force could land.
Next invasion against a Planetary Shield I'll sprinkle some SF units among my invasion force and see how that goes.
BTW, I'm playing your mod version of mordachai's mod (if I understand that correctly) right now. Having a great time! Huge thanks to you and mordachai for all the great work
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”