Nobody's talking about Total War Warhammer???

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Is it that bad or just no interest?
DonCzirr

RE: Nobody's talking about Total War Warhammer???

Post by DonCzirr »

Waiting for Totally 40k ... will post back in about 2 years [;)]
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

no interest for me, they lost me when the did the last few games and totally ruined them eg

Total War: Rome II
Total War: Attila

and now

Total War: Warhammer

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

no interest for me, they lost me when the did the last few games and totally ruined them eg

and now

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: aaatoysandmore

Wow Zak some games you actually don't support. I'm amazed. [:D]
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

and now

why do you say that they totally ruined them ?
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

and now

Go back and play Medieval Total War I and then play the future forward. If you can't see how they ruined the series then you're one of the casuals they cater to in the future releases.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

I only have Total War Rome I and Total War Medieval II:

I tried to find old copies of both Shogun and Medieval I with no success until today.. [:(]
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

and now

Go back and play Medieval Total War I and then play the future forward. If you can't see how they ruined the series then you're one of the casuals they cater to in the future releases.

Spoken like a true casual...
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Picked it up and have been enjoying it as time allows. Though on the tabletop these days I've been playing Kings of War fantasy-wise, I still enjoy the Warhammer world.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I just did a total upgrade of my gaming PC (only thing from the original build is the case!) and now I'm thinking about getting this as a way to test it out. From what I've read Total Warhammer has of course great battles but the campaigns are lacking, it always plays out the same regardless of which race you pick. Smart money would probably be to go back and play Rome 2/Napoleon/Shogun 2 which I could play before but with most settings turned down. Wait a year and get the GOTY version of Total Warhammer with oodles of DLC and many patches for half of what it costs now.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Some of each. It's a lot of money to sink on something not exactly getting stellar reviews, and the franchise doesn't interest me much (although I like 40k). Would rather spend the money on Dawn of War 3.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33
I just did a total upgrade of my gaming PC (only thing from the original build is the case!) and now I'm thinking about getting this as a way to test it out. From what I've read Total Warhammer has of course great battles but the campaigns are lacking, it always plays out the same regardless of which race you pick. Smart money would probably be to go back and play Rome 2/Napoleon/Shogun 2 which I could play before but with most settings turned down. Wait a year and get the GOTY version of Total Warhammer with oodles of DLC and many patches for half of what it costs now.

Have to say it looks great and plays great on my system, but I haven't had time to get far enough to vouch for the campaign. So far it's fun and true to the Warhammer lore though.

The reviews overall are quite good I believe, though it got some negative early user reviews due to a multiplayer lag issue which they fixed with the day 1 hotfix.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

Have to say it looks great and plays great on my system, but I haven't had time to get far enough to vouch for the campaign. So far it's fun and true to the Warhammer lore though.

The reviews overall are quite good I believe, though it got some negative early user reviews due to a multiplayer lag issue which they fixed with the day 1 hotfix.

Regards,

- Erik

I'm definitely still on the fence. I'm thinking either this or new Doom. Or ARMA 3. I promised my wife I would keep new game purchases to a minimum so I can only pick one!
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I bought it, but I have the same issue as Erik, no time to play. Only played about 3 hours so far. My 3 hour impression is favorable thus far :)
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

I thought about it and then saw Angry Joe's preview a month or two ago announcing only 4 races included in the game so I'll pass, not going to pay through the nose for all the races that should already be in the game just because some corporate guy decides to cut them out of the core game and charge for em.

I did check a few lets plays and Lionheart had a battle in his vampire counts replay where a leader and a single creature killed 2k+ enemy troops so no real game value in something like this I'd say. Not sure which episode the battle was fought in but think it was in one of the first three he initially released for vampire counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9JTLE ... 1FTA8e17F6

One good thing I got from looking into it is Lionheart's Third age Total war replay. I had never seen this mod before, it looks very well done. Time to try and find my old copy of Medieval total war 1 to try and get this mod running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SrqifD ... um5MnyrU26

Jim

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

and now

i own on steam every Total war title, bought them in a steam sale, all games in a set for a magic price, too low and as yet never been repeated, enjoyed each and every one up to Rome 2, imo Rome 1 with mods is much better and enjoyable.

best out of them all is maybe Shogun 2 for me, with then maybe Empire or Napoleon Total War.

Rome 2 had too many error's, far too many DLC's, and they upset too many buyers with the forums and direction taken, other games they listened, with Rome 2 they think they knew it all, so i decided to not support them any more and buy there games.

when Attila came out as a totally new game, which let's face it, it could have been another DLC, it didn't alter my views.

Warhammer is different, but i have no interest what so ever in that direction and for me it's gone the wrong way, seems they wish to keep the kids happy, but not the others who used to buy there stuff, shame, but may make more business sense but unless a war theater comes out and the games go back to how there where, i won't buy another.

support for a game to me means enjoyment, yes i'm a casual gamer now and spend very litter time playing any more, i know what i like and what i'd spend weeks on.

Destiny = 1000+ hours spent
Rome 1 = 1000+ hours spent (none steam version)

Alpha and beta testing, 200+ hours spent per title

some older war games, on going, supported for more than 10+ / 20 years and still counting, hours spent unknown.

all views and opinions are personnel, how anyone else wishes to spend there time is there choice, we all like what we want and chose, i never read a review on a game before i buy, i make my own mind up before i get it, research from watching with sound mostly off, then go on the forum and read, and i read a lot.

then i make a inform opinion and either buy or don't, only thing that alters this is at a later date if it comes out at a give away price, something i don't mind spending then deleting afterwards i buy it, and most of the time don't spend more than a few hours before i smile and laugh and realize i was glad i didn't get it on day one most of the time, but have been wrong on more than a few as well, so it does go both ways[;)]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

and now

sad but true, early on you could really enjoy these game and not mind spending weeks and months on them, easy way to see if it's just a few users opinions is to load up the steam stats of a given game, how many bought v's how many hours spent, v's how many still playing, and you find the older versions not only sold more, but also per sale are played more, with the newer ones being played less per sale, reasons are simple, the newer titles just don't have the depth, the love or a better word any soul in them, play ability and replay ability has gone for me and many others, where you used to build the game up in to a crescendo, now it's just a slog and rather boring and for me too arcade'y, great for teens, who love eye candy over good content and game play and any real depth, but for older players, a real let down

Attachments
minas tirith.jpg
minas tirith.jpg (420.41 KiB) Viewed 907 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

I thought about it and then saw Angry Joe's preview a month or two ago announcing only 4 races included in the game so I'll pass, not going to pay through the nose for all the races that should already be in the game just because some corporate guy decides to cut them out of the core game and charge for em.

I did check a few lets plays and Lionheart had a battle in his vampire counts replay where a leader and a single creature killed 2k+ enemy troops so no real game value in something like this I'd say. Not sure which episode the battle was fought in but think it was in one of the first three he initially released for vampire counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9JTLE ... 1FTA8e17F6

One good thing I got from looking into it is Lionheart's Third age Total war replay. I had never seen this mod before, it looks very well done. Time to try and find my old copy of Medieval total war 1 to try and get this mod running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SrqifD ... um5MnyrU26

Jim

Medieval total war

yes seems money is now more important than content so agree also on these points...

the older mods for Rome 1

Medieval total war

and many many others are way better than the last 3 games in my honest opinion.

which again means to me, some modders are better and have or had as most don't make them anymore more passion and skill that the game makers as well

seems some engines got liked and supported more, but no more than Rome 1 did and is still being, for me the highest supported and still the most modded version of any from the series, makes you think maybe? or not...

lord of the rings is epic, a great engine, and great mod and really playable and enjoyable and most of all fun

but for me the greatest and most enjoyable mod of all time maybe? is above
[&o][&o][&o]

while number 2 for me is the lord of the rings total conversion, not much beats the last mod shown for play ability, if you haven't played it, and only play Rome 2, you shouldn't really comment until you do, as chalk and cheese are different[:D][;)]
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (199.2 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (120.69 KiB) Viewed 907 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

so to again go back and stay on topic, no it's not a bad game, and some like me don't have interest in it, but it's not a great game, as proven by the lack of interest in it or talks / threads on it.

a year or 2 after release will be if supported by the modders out there, a chance or reason to get it, i'd go for the newer engine if a Lord of the ring's remake was maybe done on it, but how it is now, no, unless like the Theatre of War series on a steam sale and picked the lot up for less than £5 i'll wait[;)]

i know it sounds like a money issue, which it isn't tbh, it's more about what for me is a DLC, than a standalone game, game hasn't changed since Rome 2, just re skinned / meshed with new content and maps, as older games have already done these before so nothing new to see for me or play.

but if a period of interest comes out as a mod, and is done well enough, i'd buy just for that at full price even, but no not as it is either, as i wouldn't play it, so won't support them with a purchase either atm[:-]
Total War: Warhammer, which is still not called Total Warhammer, is the fastest-selling Total War game ever.

It sold over half a million copies in the first few days on sale, developer Creative Assembly said.

That sales success has resulted in the game regularly topping 100,000 concurrent players on Steam, the developer added.

Total War: Warhammer launched in a much more stable state than some previous entries in the series

mind you try and find this data anywhere as i can't, not been in the top 10 played list on steam while i've been looking mind you, so it seems it maybe hype to get even more sales, as this post will be here forever, i'll return in a year or 2 time and see if i have to eat my hat[X(][:D][;)] with any of my comments

makes for some interesting reading on some of the comments, i like the one who mentioned this
much more stable state than some previous entries in the series
after all the patches to fix stuff and also those who have really high end hardware only to find out on day one release it's not working with DXR 12 either, so is backwards compatible with older versions of windows, who hardware may not run it even in it's fully glory :)

but yes they are bringing out a massive patch to fix this little oversight, but i'll stop now as it's pancake time and i'm getting carried away again[:D][;)]

edited again, hope i don't sound like or come across as a know it all, i'm not saying i'm right and everyone else is wrong either, i't just on average i spend anywhere from 20 to 40+ hours a week testing games, so in my free evening time, i tend to play only games that i like and have interest in, with each year only a few more adding to that list.

i'll test anything, but to play is a totally different matter, with some subject matters not being for me, but from Destiny to RPG i've tried and loved the lot, but war is what i tend to come back to.

from hardcore to casual makes not difference to me, if it's fun and enjoyable i'll play it[8D]

ah now look what you have made me do, an hour or more out of bed and i'm gaming again :)
a good game isn't played for hours, it's years and over many more years, and while a mod doesn't make a game, it can make it last for longer and also make it more playable, more enjoyable, and much much more fun[&o][&o][&o]
by me[8D]
Attachments
run for it.jpg
run for it.jpg (256.89 KiB) Viewed 907 times
battles begun.jpg
battles begun.jpg (431.39 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (48.52 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

I currently own Warhammer (and every other Total War game released), but wouldn't consider myself an expert or die-hard. Just someone who enjoys playing the games for what they are. However, not sure I agree with all the comments, which that certainly is fine since everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but just some of my own thoughts. Although its not history based, it still seems to be an enjoyable game that is getting fairly good reviews and opens it up to a larger audience.
Rome 2 had too many error's, far too many DLC's, and they upset too many buyers with the forums and direction taken, other games they listened, with Rome 2 they think they knew it all, so i decided to not support them any more and buy there games.

When Attila came out as a totally new game, which let's face it, it could have been another DLC, it didn't alter my views.

Yes, the original releases were buggy and disappointing to many, but they did stick with it and released countless updates to put it back into the right direction. They could have abandoned and moved on to their next version. I believe many people would say the end product turned out reasonably well even if a difficult road to get there. As for DLC and such, that will always be a personal choice as to whether to support or not, but shouldn't take away from the game itself. It's rare that any game is released in a condition that doesn't require a number of updates and DLC is the rage with most of them. The company that owns this forum has their own fair share of DLC and some releases that certainly were not stellar.

I also think social media/forums have really become stronger during the release of the newer versions, versus when the total war series started out. If it was first released today like it was back then, I am pretty certain it would have the same critics and issues the newer versions have just because more people are playing, reading, and discussing it.
Warhammer is different, but i have no interest what so ever in that direction and for me it's gone the wrong way, seems they wish to keep the kids happy, but not the others who used to buy there stuff, shame, but may make more business sense but unless a war theater comes out and the games go back to how there where, i won't buy another.

It's fine not to like the subject matter, but I don't think this is a game soley made for "kids". The fantasy setting of Warhammer is popular for many people of all ages from what I understand. I'll admit when it first was announced, I wasn't a big fantasy fan but after playing it, I actually think it brings freshness to the series. And if your referring to the fact that maybe they made it more accessible for people, then personally I like that myself even being an "older" person. I know some folks might enjoy more hard core stuff and that is fine..but making a game about Warhammer and more accessible doesn't mean it is only a game for kids. You also mention arcadey and eye candy...sure, the wargaming crowd can live with less graphics, but globally most people want the eye candy and call for it...and this is from players of any age.
seems some engines got liked and supported more, but no more than Rome 1 did and is still being, for me the highest supported and still the most modded version of any from the series, makes you think maybe? or not...

It's too early for comparisons between versions, Warhammer just came out so there certainly will be less topics and mods for them. Its also possible that with more current versions, less mods are needed. Many people also like to hold onto the classics and demonstrate their skills with them, which is certainly fine.
so to again go back and stay on topic, no it's not a bad game, and some like me don't have interest in it, but it's not a great game, as proven by the lack of interest in it or talks / threads on it.

Not sure how you can say it is a good or great game since I didn't think you owned it? You mentioned earlier you don't take the advice of just reviewers as well. As for lack of interest, might not be a lot of talk in this forum which is understandable, but it is certainly being discussed in many other places with countless reviews, videos, and guides. Many people who are playing it are calling it the best version of Total War. Some of that will likely wear off once the newness goes away, but does appear to offer something a little different, even if not a great thing for history minded folks.
edited again, hope i don't sound like or come across as a know it all, i'm not saying i'm right and everyone else is wrong either, i't just on average i spend anywhere from 20 to 40+ hours a week testing games, so in my free evening time, i tend to play only games that i like and have interest in, with each year only a few more adding to that list.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Warhammer itself should be based on its own merits, not the history of the other games. Yes, it only comes with 4 factions (plus 1 additional free for the first week), but it does seem to have a solid base and really does seem to play differently.....will it become a classic, who knows.

Return to “General Discussion”