first impressions

Victory and Glory: Napoleon is a game of grand strategy and fast-play tactical battles where you take the role of Napoleon Bonaparte and attempt to dominate the entire continent of Europe.
kch

first impressions

Post by kch »

Hello.. has anybody got some first impressions they want to share regarding the game?
Recognition

RE: first impressions

Post by Recognition »

I thought I saw it was on Twitch tonight 20.00 CET But I cant find it back.
https://twitter.com/WW1IEPER1917 INTEL i9-9900K @3600Ghz 3.60 GHz 48GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
alex0809

Post by alex0809 »

My first impressions after two hours of play: fantastic! This is basically Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War, with Hannibal being Napoleon [:D]
And that is exactly what I hoped for.

My only complaints are not gameplay-related: I really wish you could make the animations shorter. It gets reeeeealy tedious.
And if I have to hear these damn stock wargame music tracks one more time, I think I might go crazy. Never disabled music this quickly in a game before.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

I DEMAND A REFUND... !!!

I lost my first battle to the "Austirans" ????? WTF???

Don't the "Austrians" know WHO I AM???

Clearly this game is BUG RIDDLED, NOT READY FOR RELEASE, FAR FROM REALISTIC AND BIASED AGAINST OLD BALD WARGAMERS...

I'm currently lying on my cot in the fetal position sucking my thumb and trying to recover from the HUMILIATION of losing to the "Austrians"...

I'm probably going to spend the rest of the day playing SCRABBLE. At least I will get a FAIR SHAKE...

LOL

GREAT GAME LOVIN' IT....
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

I really wish you could make the animations shorter. It gets reeeeealy tedious.

May I ask which animations in particular are too long? Moving routed and eliminated units? The attack/firing sequences? The AI movement on the strategy map?
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

I played a few turns of the 1805 scenario after watching the tutorial videos (nice videos, by the way). The battles are really engaging; the simplicity leads to an elegant approach to combat resolution, not a simplistic one. Strategically, it certainly feels challenging initially. I had a British force land from the Baltic and start wrecking face in Hannover and points west, while some Austrians overran smaller forces of mine in central Europe. Clearly I gotta spend some time thinking about this.

Very clean, nice looking, seems like a really nicely done game so far.
decourcy2

Post by decourcy2 »

VegasOZ,
I am obviously a way better old gamer than you! I crushed the Austrians mercilessly, than the Prussians bled my army white, the British landed in Denmark with the Swedes and beat Nappy, killing him in the retreat.

Great game so far, love the system. Only worry I have is that it seems way to easy to attack while disordered as nothing can happen to your unit. Honestly, I don't know whether we should even be able to attack while disordered.

Also random number generator hates me. Attack 3 times with 4 point guard against 3pt artillery, 2 times nothing happens, third time my guard is disordered. Same battle, four times Austrians attacked with 1pt infantry vs 2pt Frenchie infantry and killed us.
Blerrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!

Good game though, highly recommend.
Solaristics

Post by Solaristics »

I wasn't going to buy it today, but the newest version of Twilight Struggle (beta) had a fatal bug so I decided to jump in. 2 hours + of play without looking at a manual or tutorials (just going off the promo vidoes and Twitch), and a couple of references to the help screens, and I'm impressed overall. I was immediately thinking about strategy and how to keep all the plates spinning, and lost track of time, and didn't notice the games as a piece of software.

My only criticism so far is the AI. I played the 1800 scenario and Austria left the door open on Vienna. They had a big stack and a couple of smaller stacks to the south of Vienna, and they just left a gap for me to go through and didn't pursue. Hopefully this can be improved, as the game seems good otherwise.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Alright sold me, I'm downloading now. Just have to find time to dig into it.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: alex0809
My first impressions after two hours of play: fantastic! This is basically Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War, with Hannibal being Napoleon. And that is exactly what I hoped for.

Ditto. I didn't get too far into it yet. A reading of the manual is warranted; this game has some depth to it! [&o]

One minor thing I noticed was that when I tried to split a force, it is difficult to see that a unit has been selected for transfer. Some sort of highlighting would help?
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Is this made by the folks that made Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War? I didnt see that on the store page.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

I am the programmer on this project. But the designer is Glenn Drover, who is a fan of "Hannibal" but has his own experience and creativity. It's his project which is why this game is from Electric Games, and not Forced March Games.

But, as I said, Glenn is a fan of "Hannibal" and many things from that game have been adapted and incorporated into "Napoleon." And the fact that I worked on the project also contributes to that.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Well I really liked Hannibal and heard some time ago, maybe erroneously, that a Napoleon game was being made by the same people. Is this that game?
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Yes, this is that game. [:)]
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

Initial exploration of the game.
*When you click on an event card, there should be a confirmation pop-up before the card is implemented. I clicked on the Egypt card to see what would happen and looks like it just went into effect w/o asking if I really wanted to do that. (this is at the beginning of the 1800 campaign).
*On the map, the French territorial blue looks like the ocean. Maybe change the shade to be less "sea like"?
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

ORIGINAL: bssybeep

Initial exploration of the game.
*When you click on an event card, there should be a confirmation pop-up before the card is implemented. I clicked on the Egypt card to see what would happen and looks like it just went into effect w/o asking if I really wanted to do that. (this is at the beginning of the 1800 campaign).
*On the map, the French territorial blue looks like the ocean. Maybe change the shade to be less "sea like"?

I agree, the ocean area needs to be a light blue. The current color simply resembles a land area, not a sea area. I think a light blue for the oceans would be fine, just some kind of blue.

I also agree that the CARDS need a confirmation element so you do not accidently play the wrong card.
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

When merging armies, how do I merge just the selected troops as opposed to the whole army? Unless I missed something, even if I select certain troops, the whole army gets merged and I end up with an army with two or more generals. I just don't want an extra general taking up a slot.
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

ok, I see generals don't count toward the total unit count. But how do I split out a general to create another army?
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

it's also kind of a pain not being able to move armies w/o a general. There should be a default minor officer that allows movement of troops (just like the default general for the minor battles).
Enjoying the game though, the battle system is elegant and fun.

Return to “Victory and Glory: Napoleon”