Ship design component sorting?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

RhesusPeanutButterCups

Ship design component sorting?

Post by RhesusPeanutButterCups »

So, sometimes when I'm designing a ship I accidentally hit one of the sorting options that changes how components are sorted in the left or center window. I have found no way to revert them to the default sorting method, which is critically important to me because my ship designs rely on the order in which components are built. I can't really see that when the components are sorted alphabetically so I've been restarting the game every time this happens. Is there something in the UI that I'm missing?
RemoteLeg

RE: Ship design component sorting?

Post by RemoteLeg »

I agree that the sorting needs more options.
The only way I found to get the default sort order is to quit out of DW then restart, which is a big call I admit.

The components always sort to the default order at the start of a game. If you choose a sort order it stays in effect until you quit the game. The default order for components in ship designs appears to be the order they were added - new components always appear at the bottom.

I would love to be able to drag components to manually sort them in the list or at least be able to sort the ship components by category, as we can for the available components in the shopping list.
I like sorting by category - I like having all my engines/storage/weapons/etc. grouped together.
See my Distant Worlds tutorial videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VfLtaT9Y81
Shark7

RE: Ship design component sorting?

Post by Shark7 »

I wouldn't mind a sorting system that broke each component down by type, showing all choices, but putting the newest/most effective at the top of that list in bold.

IE:

Reactors:

Nova Core Reactor
Fission Reactor

etc
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”