aircraft losses

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

decourcy2

aircraft losses

Post by decourcy2 »

One of the AAR's, Joc or Meklore or someone, listed aircraft losses which some people thought might be a bit high, so for what it is worth here are some numbers.

Germany lost about 20,000 aircraft in combat missions from May 43 to April 45.
Germany lost about 6,000 aircraft to non combat operational losses (ferry flights and training flights), but remember those training losses are not all represented as basic training was in aircraft not in the game.
Also, about 4000 to 5000 German aircraft were lost as combat operational flights that returned to base but then the aircraft was written off instead of being repaired.

What this means is that the Germans lost about 337 aircraft a week in the west up till late February '45 when the Luftwaffe was largely destroyed.

The United States has some very different numbers, so i suspect it is different accounting of operational/non-operational. Here is what I have.

About 30,000 losses operationally, but that includes write-offs. Maybe 31,000. Training losses were much heavier in the United States, but i suspect part of that was ferry flights getting folded in with the stats.
'43 flak/fighter losses were even, '44 2:1 flak, '45 4:1 flak losses/fighter losses.
nedcorleone1

RE: aircraft losses

Post by nedcorleone1 »

This is good stuff. I'd be interested in the Allied numbers. Could you edit that information into your original post?
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: decourcy2
337 aircraft a week in the west up till late February '45 when the Luftwaffe was largely destroyed.

If anyone is interested i will post numbers for the Allies.

I would be interested in seeing the Allied losses. [:)]
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

Around 12,500 aircraft wrecked in the Continental US thru training flights alone from 1941-1945.

8th AF losses of heavy bombers in the ETO were 4, 145.

Http://www.taphilo.com/history/8thaf/8thaflosses.shtml

Trey
ORIGINAL: JocMeister
ORIGINAL: decourcy2
337 aircraft a week in the west up till late February '45 when the Luftwaffe was largely destroyed.

If anyone is interested i will post numbers for the Allies.

I would be interested in seeing the Allied losses. [:)]
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Bomber Command

Sorties 389,809
Losses 8953
Operational losses 1368

Coastal command

2060 lost
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Historicly in the 1st half of 1944 the germans losses roughly 7000 to combat losses and 6000 in non combat, ferry and training losses. Around on average 231 non combat losses a week.

A very large proportion of the 6000 is from actual from aircrafts represented in the game, while ofc the trainiers arent so they should be deducted if ur doing a comparison. Alot of the advance training is done in aircraft in game. Further more by early 44 nearly 50 hours of training of LW jagerfliger(last part of training) was to be done in the operational staffles and "out sourced" from the training schools.
If u look at pilots alone, more is lost in the 6000 ops losses than in the 7000 combat ones, tho not by a lot but still. Training was deadly in a defunktional training system.

Just to give some sorta numbers and perspective,
Rasmus

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”