YamatoDamashii_v2 RainyDay - extended Map

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

chemkid

YamatoDamashii_v2 RainyDay - extended Map

Post by chemkid »

ORIGINAL: Admiral Dadman

I've found a link to a ChemKid Map:

[YamatoDamashii_v2 RainyDay - extended Map with hex/nohex, also lots of GUI changes... different music, too]

download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xpqocajfl ... 1.zip/file

JocMeister

RE: Just Another Topo Map Project

Post by JocMeister »

I love it! [&o]

Some personal thoughts:
-Some OD hexes are very close in appearance to OS hexes. Perhaps darken the brightest OD hexes just a tad?

-In OZ there is no distinction between CLR and DES hexes. There are other places on the map which suffer the same issues. Just by a quick glance some CLR hexes in China looks like RGH or WR hexes. A lot of JR hexes in Sumatra looks like MT. There are other examples. I don´t know if this is intentional to make the map look better? If not it may need addressing. [:)]

-Some places look a bit "flat" and uniform. Western Borneo for example.

-Perhaps make the jungles a little darker and the mountains a little less desert like?

Perhaps making everything a tiny bit darker. Its fine when I look at the map in daylight but when I turn then blinds the map is very bright IMO.

Thank you for you tremendous work! [&o]
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

nadia911

Post by nadia911 »

Wonderful Map, thanks Chemkid
Jace11

Post by Jace11 »

Simply Superb!

needs a weather map though.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Looking good, keep doing the good work.
Symon

Post by Symon »

Hi, Chemkid.

As always, your images are wonderful. Butt ... why this particular difference? Don't understand how this is functionally different from your fabulous first pass. Looks good but just doesn't float my boat visually/conceptually, if ya know what I mean. Unless there is some purpose ... function. Am a fan of your art and use it. Just looking for some touch.

Ciao. JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Jace11

Post by Jace11 »

Having spent a bit of time looking at the new map I going to try and give a bit more feedback:

Being pretty anal about in game graphics I've listed the kind of things I'd maybe change - most are very minor. Don't get me wrong, I still love the map and am already using it. I think it's fantastic and can't imagine the amount of work you put into it (particularly tracing the paths for the new road / rail network which must have been painful and laborious). I hope people appreciate how much effort goes into something like this and what you're trying to do here.

Colours: I think they are generally nice, less harsh and busy in appearance than the original topo map. It's easier on the eye but less detailed / colorful - which is fine I think, and also important as people who play the game spend a long time staring at the map so lower saturation makes things more gentle.
The green / orange can appear strong in areas but I expect this is a result of your source map. However, they do fit well with the shallow and deep sea colours.
The map border is a nice colour choice. All together, it's achieving a similar effect to the War in the East style map, which I was impressed with.

Oceans: Shallow ocean hexes are all pretty clear in this map. In your previous topo map, it was a bit hit and miss. Some ocean shading effects around islands and land masses made it difficult to spot some, while others were misrepresented. Rectifying that was an important functional addition to your new map.

The new ocean topography effects I think are unnecessary though, or should perhaps be toned down. I would consider this irrelevant information, but I understand you might be concerned that the vast open spaces of ocean might appear bland without it. Your diagonal shading of oceans will offset this somewhat. I think in some areas the ocean topography is nice, these are areas were it has an acceptably minor effect, but in others it is very strong and looks out of place. The best example would be the ridge or trench NE from New Zealand past Raoul Island. In this case, when I look at it, it appears like the Tonga Island are more elevated than Raoul. It's just a bit awkward. Shallow and Deep ocean is already presented accurately by your map, this extra topology isn't needed by the player and can in places look weird. Having quoted that example though, I have to admit areas like those around Malaya, Borneo, New Guinea and the DEI look pretty nice with minor shading - so I don't know. I'm in two minds I guess. Maybe just tone down that New Zealand ridge.. hmmm, I honestly don't know without seeing what the map would like without it.

Ocean dots: Fine, I personally prefer hexes but these dots work well, I will probably warm to them. Whether you want to remove ocean dots from some of the inland lakes is up to you. There a few cases where dots in lakes actually signify a legitimate OS hex, but I spotted a few which are present in lakes where they could be removed with no loss of information. Minor issue I guess.

Text: I think black and white is fine. I miss colored names of nations / island groups etc, but I'm sure you've experimented with different combinations and found black with a highlight around it to work best with your terrain colours.

However, there are a number of location names that are overlapping the new road / rail network (also black and white). eg Edmonton, Vancouver (Canada), these map labels could perhaps do with a nudge.
Others that overlap road/rail and could be nudged slightly I found include: Launceston (Tasmania), Delhi, Hyderabad (Southern one), Cawnpore, Armadabad, Bangalore, Palembang.
There are others too, several in China etc.

The obvious solution is to just nudge the labels around into clear space so they dont touch the roads etc but as close to the hex as possible and also without confusing them with any other nearby dot hexes etc. If that's not possible with all of them, not sure.

I wouldn't worry about ship covering map labels too much - ships move, are often disbanded in port etc. Icon bitmaps obscuring stuff is perfectly acceptable imo.

New rail / road network: Awesome! So like the ones from I remember seeing on maps from that era. - Interaction with map labels etc.

New urban center markings: Nice, subtle. Centered to each hex? The base flags in game must be slightly higher, because the two together look very slightly off center - very minor issue I think. The offmap Liverpool hex is Urban Heavy I think too - again very minor omission.

Er I think that's it...

for now...

Tagula Island typo - you have it as Taluga (near milne bay)

For your off map area at the top right, just fill it in with green hexes I reckon, leaving ocean there conflicts with the game data and would look odd with LCUs moving across.
e.g

Attachments
WPEH06.jpg
WPEH06.jpg (129.66 KiB) Viewed 3925 times
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Superb looking map!!!! Looks like I'll be playing this until you come up with a final. Looking it over it's hard to come up with an idea of how much time went into the production..... Much thanks to you for helping make this game better.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
traskott

Post by traskott »

[&o][&o][&o]

Now I have a dilema: The previous new art, or this one... Decisiones, decisiones..
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Awe inspiring piece of work. I'm using it now!
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

chemkid

UPDATE: JATM-Project Preview 2

Post by chemkid »

chemkid

RE: UPDATE: JATM-Project Preview 3

Post by chemkid »

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Wow! Amazing AGAIN!!!  Great work. [&o][&o][&o]

I've actually incorporated this map AND your other Topo map in the game simultaneously by using one with Hexes on and one with Hexes off. Sort of the best of both worlds. All I need to do is flip the little toggle to change maps. :)
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

This really is an AMAZING map, even better than the fist Topo map project IMO. [&o]

If I may make a couple humble suggestions, I think this map would benefit enormously also from adding a list of hot keys next to the legend in the top right corner in the same manner your other Topo map does. Also since the "1" key is used to display terrain type, maybe a legend somewhere at the top to define what the different abbreviations for terrain types mean would be a good idea as well. That might make it more player friendly from a terrain perspective since visual cues for terrain are a bit more limited with these maps.  

In any case I think these maps set a new standard for WITP/AE map making. I don't think I could go back to the old maps anymore.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”