AE PDF Manual Revision

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Alfred

AE PDF Manual Revision

Post by Alfred »

I have raised with, and received a favourable response from, the devs regarding the possibility of me revising the AE PDF manual, at least up to the last official patch (#6) level. There are some potential technical issues which may result in this project not proceeding to completion. Assuming that everything does however work out to plan, it is anticipated that 4 months work will be required.

This is a private initiative and undertaken for no remuneration. Regulars will already be aware of the quality of my posts but for any not so comforted, their concerns should be ameliorated by being informed that there will be a certain level of undisclosed dev participation in the project. This however is not an invitation for forumites to correspond with the devs regarding this project.

Only the PDF Manual will be revised. There will be no hard copy printing of any revised manual. Also as only 4 months are allocated to the project, the current PDF Manual structure will be largely retained.

The first stage of this project comprises an invitation to forumites to post in this thread examples of where they believe the current manual is:

(a) incorrect,
(b) unclear/inadequate in it's explanation,
(c) silent on a situation often encountered in the game

Only specific identified examples and the reasons why they fall within the above parameters need be presented. Generic statements that something is inadequate will not be considered. Bear in mind that the focus is up to the last official patch so the nomination of a long list of beta changes not covered by the current manual is not guaranteed to be taken into account at all in this project. The nomination of a wish list for AE II is guaranteed to be completely ignored.

This thread provides an opportunity for well reasoned PDF Manual deficiencies to be presented for consideration. It is not an indispensable element for this project to proceed. There is however a strict time period for the lodgement of submissions which need to be posted here by 20 September 2014.

No correspondence regarding the above conditions will be entered into. Disgruntled forumites can always undertake their own revision of the manual.

Alfred

Thayne

RE: AE PDF Manual Revision

Post by Thayne »

I thank you for taking on this project and believe there is nobody better qualified.

Could you please make available that version of the manual that you will be starting from so that everybody begins on literally the same page.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Sharing support in non-base hexes

Manual LIGHT, p.182
"One support squad is needed for every non-Support or Aviation Support element in the unit. Support in a friendly base hex can be shared between units, so as long as the total support in the hex is greater than the support needed by all the units in the hex, the units will be fully supported. Support is not shared if not in a friendly base hex."

Support is shared between units in non-base hexes
tm.asp?m=3113263
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

An obvious one is in page 104
"For greater realism, Japanese subs can be set to use the Japanese Sub Doctrine (see section 2.4.1 Japanese Sub Doctrine)."

This is of course not the case; a specific Japanese sub doctrine was never implemented
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

6.2.11 ROUTINE CONVOYS AND COMPUTER-CONTROLLED TF’S also in page 104

issue is a c) silent on a situation encountered.
When you are doing a "CS" convoys, the refueling options are still available, but they are not taken into consideration by the AI
szmike

Post by szmike »

I think port subjects should be amended into single chapter if possible, then dividing functions in subchapters. Or maybe rearming should be put together at the least.
Now we have (EBOOK version):
- 6.3 p.109 - loading/unloading
- 9.3 p.210 - brief rundown on ports
- 15.2 p.250 - naval supply - no details, just that your ships expend ammunition and suitable port is needed. How big? How much does it cost? table with rearm points is on p.109 (and again further), wheras details on rearm cost are thrown in the middle of 9.3.3.2 Cargo and fuel handling.
- then there're AKE/AE ships somewhere, I can't find.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Thayne

I thank you for taking on this project and believe there is nobody better qualified.

Could you please make available that version of the manual that you will be starting from so that everybody begins on literally the same page.

Everyone is already on the same page.

The PDF manual has not been updated at any stage. It is exactly the same as the printed colour manual.

Alfred
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: szmike

I think port subjects should be amended into single chapter if possible, then dividing functions in subchapters. Or maybe rearming should be put together at the least.
Now we have (EBOOK version):
- 6.3 p.109 - loading/unloading
- 9.3 p.210 - brief rundown on ports
- 15.2 p.250 - naval supply - no details, just that your ships expend ammunition and suitable port is needed. How big? How much does it cost? table with rearm points is on p.109 (and again further), wheras details on rearm cost are thrown in the middle of 9.3.3.2 Cargo and fuel handling.
- then there're AKE/AE ships somewhere, I can't find.

I did say there were certain technical issues.[:)]

There are several other subjects which are addressed at different locations. Subject consolidation is not always going to be an easy task.

Just as the AE team had to deal with old legacy code, this project also has to accommodate old legacy text and screen shots in a legacy structure which predates AE. A good example is that the existing manual is wrong on the kamikaze activation range. That inaccuracy resulted from not adjusting the classical WITP manual which dealt with 60nm hexes to the AE game reduction of hexes to 40nm. In some ways it would be easier if the manual was revised starting from a blank sheet but that would push out the time table considerably.

Nonetheless the intention is to maximise subject consolidation and improve internal cross referencing.

Alfred
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

This would be a monumental task with pay. Without pay.....I humbly stand here unworthy and in awe. Thank You.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Don't get carried away.  I said there are certain technical issues to overcome.  And I keep repeating we are retaining the basic structure.

One great advantage I have is that I can look up my own posts as they usually already incorporate dev answers unearthed during the research.  There ought to not be too many subject areas I haven't posted on in the past.  Plus the hidden contribution from the devs.

Alfred
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Alfred, great news and good luck! Here is a contribution... probably already on your shortlist...

6.3.3.3.2.1 OVER THE BEACH
This is for assault unloading over the beach.
»» Beaching Craft. Beaching craft unload completely in one turn.
»» Attack Amphibious Ships. (APA/AKA plus LSD, LSV and British equivalents)
in Amphibious TFs, unload at a Rate of 3000 points per ship, per turn.
»» Regular Transport Ships. (Commissioned Naval AP/AK) in Amphibious
TFs, unload at a Rate of 600 points per ship per turn.
»» Merchant Ships. (xAP/xAK) in Amphibious TFs, unload
at a Rate of 250 points per ship per turn.
»» Special Japanese early war bonus of 1200 for all AP/AK and xAP/xAK types.

Change turn into phase?

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

The other critical phase/turn reversal is that of page 189.

Yes these are the sort of things which can be easily missed and why this thread can be very valuable.  The contributions from various people will at the very least bring these inaccuracies to the attention of other players who can make their own notations to their printed manuals.  Just in case the project stalls.[;)]

Alfred
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Thanks for doing this, Alfred.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I would be happy to pay for an updated pdf manual, that includes everything including the beta stuff which should become a new official patch.
cav
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Alfred did indicate within the next 4 months, not 4 years! Maybe the Beta changes could be summarized in an addendum at a later date.......That would be a help at least and not a monumental task...
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

sainthood awaits for this effort!

Pls clarify Evac Tfs in re-write. It is very unclear how limited they really are.
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

Many thanks to Alfred, great idea. My 5 cents: Damian guide to production states each base needs >10K supplies to repair damaged industry. And each industry point repair costs 1000 supply. I've been unable to find any references to this requirement on the Manual.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Alfred, If you need another set of eyes, for proof reading/editing, let me know. A ways back I emailed michaelm about helping him with a similar project....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
alimentary

Post by alimentary »

Section 4.2.1.5 ("Transportation Links") documents the types of roads. The final road type mentioned is "Railway Trail".

Section 8.3.1 ("Overland Movement") gives the movement point costs for various terrain types and roads. The final item mentioned is "Trail".

To the best of my knowledge, the only type of "trail" that exists in AE is the "Railway Trail" (in contrast to WITP where "trail" was a separately defined connection type). The PDF should be consistent in nomenclature. My recommendation would be to use the term "Railway Trail" in both 8.3.1 and 4.2.1.5.

Edit: section 4.2.1.5 makes it clear that "Railway Trail" is, in fact, the only kind of trail explicitly present in AE:

"No other trails exist on the map other than
along such railway lines. The existence of foot trails is assumed in all
hexes on the map that do not have roads defined, and this is accounted
for in the off-road movement rates. Therefore there are no actual “trails”
defined on the map except for along railway lines as described here."
Reg

Post by Reg »

Hi Alfred,

A truely noble and magnanimous task you are taking on here. It will certainly be appreciated by the AE community. [&o]

In addition to actual errors/ommissions in the existing manual I assume you will be working through the What's New listings and incorporating those changes (over a thousand I believe) into the manual (ouch!!).

If you don't mind me asking what tools will you be using? It might help if people want to provide preformatted information to assist you.

Apollo11 is doing something similar with the War in the East Manual and I believe he is editing in MSWord and using Adobe InDesign to generate indexing in the final PDF.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”