Saipan Campaign Scenario

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

jimcarravall

Saipan Campaign Scenario

Post by jimcarravall »

Tim (Ranger X3x) Williams and I have developed a new scenario for Command Ops.

Called Saipan Campaign CO1, it depicts the critical battle of the Marianas Islands in the Central Pacific.

LtG Holland "Howlin' Mad" Smith's 60,000 strong V Marine Corps supported by the US Fifth Fleet was ordered to invade Saipan on June 15, 1944. The invasion caught a garrison of the Japanese 31st Army, 30,000 troops assigned to LtG Yoshitsugu Saito's 43d Infantry Division and the 47th Independent Mixed Brigadge isolated from Army commander LtG Hideyoshi Obata.

Cut off from supplies and the Army commander, Saito's command was ordered to hold Saipan at all costs while inflicting maximum casualties on the "devils" invading Japan's territory gained at the end of World War I when ceded by Germany in 1918.

Smith planned on taking the island in a week. His campaign was stretched to 23 days. Saito ordered every soldier under his command to take seven allies with him to protect the Emperor.

This includes a workaround for on call naval gunfire in support of the Marines and an abstraction of the impact of amphibious vehicles made as part of the invading forces.

Unzip the included files into your game directory. The maps, and estabs will be assigned to appropriate folders and the scenario will be added to your My Scenarios folder.

Attachments
SaipanCampaignCO1.zip
(9.74 MiB) Downloaded 149 times
Take care,

jim
gabeeg

RE: Saipan Campaign Scenario

Post by gabeeg »

Oh man, cannot wait to give this a spin...

Thanks!

Ok, as of now at D1 13:00 I am having getting off the beach. My best success is at Chalan Kanoa and just south where I have advanced 2km east in an attempt to cut off the bottom third of the island. the plan is to secure the airfield and then fight north. Reinforcements are starting to bring a bit of momentum. So far its been a lot of fun.
Kind Regards,

Harry
budd

Post by budd »

thanks for the sccenario, this should be a bloody one.Nice map.

Here's a map shot

Attachments
ScreenShot122.jpg
ScreenShot122.jpg (69.34 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
SimonDC

Post by SimonDC »

Hi, I downloaded the file to the BotB folder and clicked on it, but nothing happened. Do I need to install the folders into the BotB ones?

Many thanks,
Simon
budd

Post by budd »

its a zip file just unzip into main BFTB directory, all the files should go where they are supposed too.then when you start the game it should show up in my scenarios.

Attachments
ScreenShot123.jpg
ScreenShot123.jpg (123.36 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
SimonDC

Post by SimonDC »

Thanks **budd**, I used the extract toll and it worked. Usually I though I just double clicked on the file.

Many thanks,
Simon
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

Jim & Tim,
After 5 days and 20 hours American forces secured Saipan after accepting the surrender of the few remaining Japanese forces. Americans took over 4000 casualties vs. over 23000 for the Japanese. It was a fun scenario that kept me busy and thinking. I played as the Americans with realistic Orders Delay, normal supply with historical reinforcements. I probably could have gotten the Decisive victory quicker but I took my time to wipe out the Japanese forces instead of bypassing units made ineffective. The one thing I noticed is that the Japanese were not opposed to surrender unlike the real life battle. My only suggestion is to maybe make the Japanese a bit fanatical and desperate maybe by upping their stubbornness, aggro and moral (I don't really know...I have never made a scenario). It might make the battle a bit more brutal and the Japanese hold out longer inline with the actual battle. It looks like a hell of a lot of work went into the scenario and it was a real treat to play in the pacific. Thank you, your efforts are very much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Harry
Kind Regards,

Harry
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: gabeeg

Jim & Tim,
After 5 days and 20 hours American forces secured Saipan after accepting the surrender of the few remaining Japanese forces. Americans took over 4000 casualties vs. over 23000 for the Japanese. It was a fun scenario that kept me busy and thinking. I played as the Americans with realistic Orders Delay, normal supply with historical reinforcements. I probably could have gotten the Decisive victory quicker but I took my time to wipe out the Japanese forces instead of bypassing units made ineffective. The one thing I noticed is that the Japanese were not opposed to surrender unlike the real life battle. My only suggestion is to maybe make the Japanese a bit fanatical and desperate maybe by upping their stubbornness, aggro and moral (I don't really know...I have never made a scenario). It might make the battle a bit more brutal and the Japanese hold out longer inline with the actual battle. It looks like a hell of a lot of work went into the scenario and it was a real treat to play in the pacific. Thank you, your efforts are very much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Harry
Hi Harry,

Thanks for the feedback.

We discussed how to make the Japanese forces more fanatical on a relative basis to the Marines (which have a degree of greater fanaticism toward head on attack than their Army counterparts), and the Army, and set the measures accordingly. In addition, you'll find the Japanese combat units build through the various forms of defensive positions quite a bit faster than their Allied counterparts. This was to mimic the ability of the Japanese to take advantage of the rocky and caved terrain of Saipan for defensive purposes in relation to the Allies ability to emplace.

The tendency to surrender troubled me as well, until I considered that surrender means the unit stops fighting. Whether it raises its hands and walks out of fortifications to prison camps, or commits suicide en-mass, it's still a surrender.

That said, I'll look into the matter.

If the unit surrenders when it runs out of ammo, it's the equivalent of the Japanese fighting to the bitter end, since I don't believe the game engine accounts for melee combat with bayonets in the combat model. If they surrender with sufficient ammo to continue the fight, then there is room to broaden the relative "fanaticism" between the allies and axis.

We haven't worked the production timing or content details, but have agreed to develop a Pacific Theater scenario pack for CO2. The refined Saipan Campaign will serve as the backbone of that development.
Take care,

jim
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

This looks fantastic, Jim, Tim. Many thanks! A 23 day scenario - incredible! I'll start by looking at the history. I know nothing about this battle. The map looks beautiful. Again, many thanks.
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi guys,

Thanks for this!
Playing this scenario for the 1st time (and as the Japanese) shows the axis howitzer batteries have a bombardment strength of 3757 ??????

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

Hi guys,

Thanks for this!
Playing this scenario for the 1st time (and as the Japanese) shows the axis howitzer batteries have a bombardment strength of 3757 ??????

Rob.
Thanks for the feedback, Rob.

I'll have to look into that discrepancy in the Estabs.

Don't recall if I created ammo for the mountain guns or used something that existed.

If I created an ammo, I may have missed a conversion or ignored a few decimal places in assigning bombardment strength.

Stay tuned.

Take care,

jim
jimcarravall

Saipan Campaign Scenario Version 2

Post by jimcarravall »

Thanks to Rob (Deathtreader), I was able to isolate a discrepancy in the original scenario.

The Japanese mountain artillery were recorded as having 52-KG shells as opposed to the actual 6.63-KG weights.

Included in the attached file is a corrected Estab and new scenario version.

Extract the files into your root CO directory and use Saipan Campaign CO1 Ver2 for game play.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
SaipanCam..O1Ver2.zip
(9.74 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
Take care,

jim
jimcarravall

RE: Saipan Campaign Scenario Version 2 Correction Coming

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: jimcarravallah

Thanks to Rob (Deathtreader), I was able to isolate a discrepancy in the original scenario.

The Japanese mountain artillery were recorded as having 52-KG shells as opposed to the actual 6.63-KG weights.

Included in the attached file is a corrected Estab and new scenario version.

Extract the files into your root CO directory and use Saipan Campaign CO1 Ver2 for game play.

Hope this helps.
I'm sorry.

Changing the shell weight does not appear to correct the bombardment value.

Let me look into the issue more, and reissue the files when I've isolated the problem.
Take care,

jim
jimcarravall

Saipan Campaign Scenario Version 2.1

Post by jimcarravall »

Adjusted accuracy and fire rate for the Japanese Mountain gun to more realistic values.

Attached is the new Estab which should correct the "super bombardment" power Rob / Deathtreader pointed out.

Extract the information in the attached zip to the Command Ops root folder.
Attachments
SaipanCam..Ver2.1.zip
(852.37 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Take care,

jim
Deathtreader

RE: Saipan Campaign Scenario Version 2.1

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi,

Thanks for the fix and all the hard work to create it in the first place![&o]

I'll fire it up over the weekend (I hope)[:)]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”