Why Steam?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Chet Guiles

Why Steam?

Post by Chet Guiles »

This may be a dumb question, but I have always bought all my Matrix games from Matrix directly. Am I going to have to use Steam or depend on Steam for updates? What is the benefit to anyone of using Steam? Will I at some point HAVE to get a Steam ID to get updates and patches? Can someone spell this out in simple terms? Thanks!
Vardis

RE: Why Steam?

Post by Vardis »

I use Steam because I like managing most of my games in one spot. It's currently not required, nor have I seen any indication of that being considered.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Steam is not required or necessary, you can still get your games direct from Matrix, it just provides another vendor to get the game out in front of more people.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
Gregorovitch55

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

It is better to buy from the Matrix site as they avoid the Steam cut that way. If you want to use Steam, which is optional, you automatically get a Steam key with your purchase and can use it to register and install the game via Steam at no additional cost. Steam will automatically update your game on official patch releases unless you specify that it should not do so. You can also manually load beta patches and roll between versions to the extent the devs make that available to you. Unless devs specifically make a game require Steam to run, and Matrix don't, you can fire up the game .exe any time without Steam running at all.

Which basically means you can buy from Matrix, try out Steam at no cost to yourself or Matrix, and then get rid of Steam if you don't like it.

On the benefits of Steam opinions vary widely. My own list of positives is:

I find installing, uninstalling and maintaining games is much more convenient
I get immediate notifications of games I am interested in on sale so i don't miss any
I get to look into games I didn't know and wouldn't ever get to know about when they come up on sale
I find the Steam forums are very convenient when I'm not sufficiently motivated to register on a game's own community forum or that forum is comatose.
I like my play hours recorded
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

Steam steal your credit card and Pron sites accounts.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Chet Guiles
Am I going to have to use Steam or depend on Steam for updates?
No. It's your choice. You can buy it through Steam (giving them about 30% of your money), or buy it from Matrix (more money in Code Force's pocket).

Let Steam update, or check the forums for updates once in a while.

It's your choice. Same game, same updates either way.
What is the benefit to anyone of using Steam?
If you place zero value on privacy and the the economic gain going to the companies that actually make the game, then by all means buy from Steam. If you really like seeing ads for games they distribute, then you will find endless joy in using Steam.
Will I at some point HAVE to get a Steam ID to get updates and patches?
If you buy it from Matrix, you don't require a Steam ID, nor do you have to rely on them (Steam) in any way at all.

Oh, in the case that one of the Steam evangelists tells you it's safe and effective, take a gander at this article. Basic economics suggests that the scarcity of a good increases the price on the open market. So if your Steam ID is worth about a tenner - how secure do you think your account REALLY is? How confident do you think the Russian hackers are that there's more where that came from? Oh, did I mention that purchasing it from Matrix carries none of these risks? Just in case you missed that...

And if you keep archives of your Matrix downloads (assuming Matrix purchase) and your registration code from Matrix - you're completely free from any problems in the unfortunate case that Steam and Matrix fold. Regardless of Steam's capricious ban policy, you can never be denied the opportunity to play the game you bought.

In the end, it's your choice. Do you value privacy, or do you squeal with glee at a new advertisement splashed on your screen by Steam? Do you want to control your property, or accept that Steam can shut down your account and deny you access to everything you've bought? Can you count, or do you require Steam to keep a tally of how many hours you've played? Can you back up your files somewhere reliable, or do you feel it's beyond your ability and need Steam to do it for you?

It's your choice.

Edited: ambiguous reference clarified (them)
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Chet Guiles

Post by Chet Guiles »

Thanks, all. My gut said, "Just buy from Matrix" and the weight of evidence is that's safe and sensible. I guess if I was buying tons of games (I"m not) and trying to manage a gazillion updates, it might make sense. Happy enough to support Matrix and Code Force directly.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Chet,

That's correct - we've added Steam as an additional distributor, but nothing is changing here and if you purchase from us, you get a free Steam key as well. We will continue selling direct through our store for as long as we are in business, it's our preferred way of selling to our customers.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Chet Guiles

Post by Chet Guiles »

Thanks, Eric. It's my preferred way of dealing with anyone I buy from. :-)
wozza

Post by wozza »

This may be a dumb question, but I have always bought all my Matrix games from Matrix directly. Am I going to have to use Steam or depend on Steam for updates? What is the benefit to anyone of using Steam? Will I at some point HAVE to get a Steam ID to get updates and patches? Can someone spell this out in simple terms? Thanks!
Because there are a certain group of people on these Forums who had been pushing Matrix into having DD on Steam. And for a time Matrix did resist the pressure to put it on Steam.

But i am glad that Matrix still gives us the option not to use Steam. A lot of other companies who only use Steam could learn from this.
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

Buy directly from Matrix/AGEOD and get a Steam key. That's what I do. [8D]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”