How do I colonize planet with different species (than mine)?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

dhayut

How do I colonize planet with different species (than mine)?

Post by dhayut »

I captured several planets populated with different species, and I cannot find how to colonize them - there is no menu entry "colonize" once I captured them.

Well, I found 2 workaround:
1. exterminate local population - but It takes too long.
2. Bombarding with nuclear weapons (to destroy population before capturing) - faster, but harms planet ecology.

So is it possoble to transfer my population to these planets more directly (colonize, etc.) ?
Mad Igor

RE: How do I colonize planet with different species (than mine)?

Post by Mad Igor »

colonize colonized planet.
common sense,any1 seen ?
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Contrary to the history of our own planet, it's not possible to "colonize" something that's already inhabited by someone else.
Sindri

Post by Sindri »

resettle/exterminate current population and make sure your main population is able to colonize this type of planet and is keen to migrate overall :P
dhayut

Post by dhayut »

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Contrary to the history of our own planet, it's not possible to "colonize" something that's already inhabited by someone else.
But it WAS possible to colonize it, until I captured it with my troops!
There was menu entry for colonizing. And it was in Potential Colonies list.
ORIGINAL: Sindri

resettle/exterminate current population and make sure your main population is able to colonize this type of planet and is keen to migrate overall :P
How do I resettle them?
How do I move my population to that planet?

(I tried, but could not find anything like that in the interface...)
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Ah, it must've been an independent then. In that case, "colonizing" it would've yielded the same result as invading it did. It would still have been occupied by the existing race.
Kilravock

Post by Kilravock »

It must of been an independent colony if it had a population and you were able to select it for colonizing. If you couldn't colonize because it was highlighted red then it's because it was outside of your 'colonization range'. If it was no longer on the list but still independent then it was inside another empire's influence/boarders. Still it sounds like you did 'colonized' it in the traditional way of using scary men with big guns, which ignores all the formalities of using a colony ship.

To resettle a population of a colony you control, you have to go to the colony screen. Click on the planet icon on the top bar and search for the colony, or just double click on the selected colony's name. Click on the Population tab on the screen near the bottom left. See at the bottom the two drop down boxes? That is where you can set colony population polices for your race family and the other races. Change it to resettle and your passenger ships will in time move the people somewhere else.

To make your race move there, you will need to make it attractive like having no taxes and a base orbiting it with a medical and recreational facilities. It helps if you have a good supply of luxuries that will be shipped there and if a colony with a large population of your race is nearby. Your passenger ships will in time transport people to the colony.
Keston

Post by Keston »

Now that history is mentioned, I wonder if a colony ship can complete its mission and land under the protection of troops engaged on the ground?
dhayut

Post by dhayut »

OK, I got it. Thanks for answers.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”