Ok, people, I come to the experts.....

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Gilmer

Ok, people, I come to the experts.....

Post by Gilmer »

I have an fledgling empire. I have colonization. I am pretty strong compared to the other empire I have discovered.

I'm Sluken - insect.
They are Humans.

They are in my sphere of influence so they hate me.

What do I do next? Destroy them? Colonize them somehow? Take them over? I am about 6 times more powerful than they are. Obviously they will never like me, because I'm creeping in on their space (Actually they are creeping on mine, but I'm too polite to tell them so).

Just build some troops ships is maybe the right idea?
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Tcby

RE: Ok, people, I come to the experts.....

Post by Tcby »

Are you sure they are an actual empire and not an independent colony populated by Humans? Probably good to be sure of that before people start giving advice that might not be relevant :)
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Yes, they are a true empire. There are 2 independent civilizations/colonies of humans floating around though. But these guys are the full deal. I have them on my diplomacy screen. And they are furious with me. (-56). So I guess I gotta be the bad guy with them. :P
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

In that case, start a war and blow them up :) Build the biggest military ships you can, with plenty of shields. And yes, fill up some troop transports :)
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Colonize them somehow?
The only way that you can 'colonize' a world controlled by a full-fledged empire is to conquer it. At least, unless you can somehow or other get the world to become independent and non-hostile.

If they're getting in your way, taking them out isn't a bad idea, particularly since you're playing Sluken. One of their racial victory conditions has something to do with enslaving or exterminating non-Sluken, if I recall correctly, and I think there's another one having to do with fighting wars. This isn't really a consideration if you're not playing with racial victory conditions on, though. Plus, I think the Sluken are supposed to get a growth bonus on colonies where you're exterminating people. Otherwise, if they're really that much weaker than you are, especially if they don't yet have hyperdrives, you can always just expand around them and more or less ignore the fact that they exist. I'd make certain those independents don't stay independent long enough for the full empire to incorporate them somehow, though.

Homeworld assaults can require a fairly significant invasion force, particularly if they have a good spaceport and several defense bases up to defend the planet, so remember to bring a big fleet to clear out the defenses and a big army to crush the defenders, if you decide to conquer the planet. Humans are probably on a continental, while Sluken like Marshy Swamps, so the defenders are going to have a +10% bonus from the planet type and you might have a -10% for the same, though if you secure space superiority first, that isn't so much of a problem. They'll also probably have enough infantry to gain the +25% Fortified Line bonus. If you have armored divisions, you can counter that with an armoured breakthrough for +25% on your end; if not, you'll have to make up the difference in troop numbers or quality. Remember that your newly-recruited Sluken infantry units are only about 8% better than newly-recruited Human infantry units if they don't have Emeros crystal stockpiled on the homeworld, and only 3% better if they do, so your troops are more or less equal on a 1 to 1 basis. Thus, if you decide to invade, you'll probably want to outnumber them by at least 3 to 2, and probably more like 3 to 1 to account for the planetary population and defending bonuses.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

I have a better idea;

1) Swarm them and overwhelm their defenses.

2) Turn their planets into glass parking lots.

3) Destroy Humanity.

4) Profit.

Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Poor humans. I have conquered them and now will consume them and assimilate body parts that selected people of my empire have been chosen to receive due to exemplary service to the empire.

(It actually said something to that effect!!!)
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

Did you tell them "WE COME IN PEACE" via giant loudspeakers while oblitering their military?
Kilravock

Post by Kilravock »

ORIGINAL: Sirian

Did you tell them "WE COME IN PEACE" via giant loudspeakers while oblitering their military?

Just make sure the humans are not playing Slim Whitman as a defense.
Evrett

Post by Evrett »

Open a sushi restaurant that acts as a conduit for your eggs to enter their soft human bodies...then sit back and watch the fun as your many many babies hatch and devour the human hosts several month later.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”