Checking Interest for an AAR

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Balkor Wolf

Checking Interest for an AAR

Post by Balkor Wolf »

o/ Space Dictators

Been a while since I last really gave the forums much attention and after quite enjoying playing Distant Worlds again since the release of Universe (BTW, thanks for letting us convert keys into steam keys, you guys really are the best devs ever <3). I've been wanting to try out an idea for an AAR that involves the community for a while now and figured why the hell not do it now (Or the very near future, all depends on reactions to this thread).

My idea?

I want to incorporate you forum dwellers in a vassalage kind of system where I will start giving ownership of conquered systems to volunteers from the forums who ultimately decide how those systems are run as well as how their own fleets operate. Now this can turn out to be either really boring and slow or it can turn out stupidly complicated but lots of fun but I will need the help of you guys that may be interested in deciding on some rules and procedures to ensure that if you do in fact like this idea it will run a long and happy life (Until you all decide you are sick of me as your monarch and think your fleets are better protecting your own planets rather than the capital, which could also be hilariously fun)

So knowing the base idea, my biggest issue is making this a reality. I was planning on making it a text LP (I can't really do video ones due to never really having the time alone and in peace to do them just yet), and was wondering how to have regular updates on game progression but also without having to wait weeks at a time for all the vassals to respond to events and stuff. Below is my current ideas but I would also love to hear what you guys first of all think of the initial idea, and how it could be improved to work as intended:

1) Initially systems will be handed out to volunteers until everyone has one (Either random selection or first come first serve).

2) If it comes to the point all the volunteers now own land, future systems will be either bid for (Offering up something to entice me such as guaranteed following orders for a set duration to let you control another system), or handing them out depending on an individual vassal's performance (Obeying the crown means more chance of being rewarded with land. Only think for yourself and you are likely not to thrive).

3) Game Updates is the biggest challenge. I think the best way to do it would either be ask for people on how they want their holdings to be controlled for a set duration such as a year, or 5 game years (Other amounts of time are available). The alternative is again ask people for their orders and then let that carry on until some kind of major event happens (Such as war being declared, fights breaking out... and so on.)

4) A voting system! This seemed fun to include that the vassals are to take part in important decisions. Our allies just got declared war on? Well we're going to need a majority vote to decide if we honour our defense pact.

5) Rewards. Following orders from the crown and being a good little vassal is likely to get you a royal reward such as more land, improved defenses, maybe even extra ships for your fleet! Although that being said, it is your planet and fleet so if you feel they would be better use elsewhere then you won't be punished for it.

These are just initial ideas. The main reason for this thread is to first find out what people think of the idea to see if its worth while doing and if there is enough interest (Even if it's only a few people), we can then work out the finer details that suits everyone.

Sorry for the long read, looking forward to your responses.
Fleshbits

RE: Checking Interest for an AAR

Post by Fleshbits »

Never had interest in reading them. It reminds me of spending an entire weekend playing D&D. :P To each his own though.
Windows 7 64 bit, i7 930, GTX670, 12 gig DDR 1300
Dohon

Post by Dohon »

Sounds interesting! I would opt for "one year slots", during which we give some general running orders. Special situations (such as war breaking out, a request for an alliance, ...) require a special meeting of all the vassals. Voting on those issues could make for some interesting roleplaying as well!

It will be a massive undertaking though. You'll need to post yearly updates (which might be a bit too much now that I think of it), with screenshots and an overview of the colonies. You'll also need time to allow for everyone to get their posts / votes in. What are your plans with regards to the update-schedule? Will you do an update each week?

Anyhow, I'm quite interested in this. :)
xatharas

Post by xatharas »

I don't know who you're looking for but I'm interested! I'm kind of a noob though, only started with universe and played for a little more then 50 hours so far. But I love the game! (I even threw off every other game except diablo 3 which I play with my best friend) and I do everything manualy so I think I'm getting a good grip on it.

I watch LP's as well, and this sounds interesting too [:D].

As to the how, I think I would favour the yearly orders, interrupted only on major issues arising on empire level (war, major pirate attacks?, appearance of silvermist or other event) for which I suggest a short pauze to ask wether or not vassals want to help. Those that help get small things offered by the state ;), for example a bigger chance of getting a new system later (like in feudal times, we could even play in a feudal empire and roleplay it as such) or a say in a future research direction or having a colonyship build at homeworld (speed!)

But again, if you're looking for experienced players I'm not him... yet. If you're looking for game enthusiasts who love the idea I'm him...now! [:D]
Balkor Wolf

Post by Balkor Wolf »

ORIGINAL: Dohon

Sounds interesting! I would opt for "one year slots", during which we give some general running orders. Special situations (such as war breaking out, a request for an alliance, ...) require a special meeting of all the vassals. Voting on those issues could make for some interesting roleplaying as well!

It will be a massive undertaking though. You'll need to post yearly updates (which might be a bit too much now that I think of it), with screenshots and an overview of the colonies. You'll also need time to allow for everyone to get their posts / votes in. What are your plans with regards to the update-schedule? Will you do an update each week?

Anyhow, I'm quite interested in this. :)

I personally don't mind the effort of putting in the images on updates and stuff. In regards of when updates actually happen I would try to get a couple per week, certainly at least one a week. Could possibly do updates every two years depending on how things go.

ORIGINAL: xatharas

I don't know who you're looking for but I'm interested! I'm kind of a noob though, only started with universe and played for a little more then 50 hours so far. But I love the game! (I even threw off every other game except diablo 3 which I play with my best friend) and I do everything manualy so I think I'm getting a good grip on it.

I watch LP's as well, and this sounds interesting too [:D].

As to the how, I think I would favour the yearly orders, interrupted only on major issues arising on empire level (war, major pirate attacks?, appearance of silvermist or other event) for which I suggest a short pauze to ask wether or not vassals want to help. Those that help get small things offered by the state ;), for example a bigger chance of getting a new system later (like in feudal times, we could even play in a feudal empire and roleplay it as such) or a say in a future research direction or having a colonyship build at homeworld (speed!)

But again, if you're looking for experienced players I'm not him... yet. If you're looking for game enthusiasts who love the idea I'm him...now! [:D]

Don't worry about experience =) Hopefully it should be fun either way just to see if the whole system works and people work together in unity or say hell to it and only look out for their own interests!
FingNewGuy

Post by FingNewGuy »

I'd be interested in giving it a try. [8D]
Balkor Wolf

Post by Balkor Wolf »

Good to see interest in this =) Id happily be up for starting something soon with you three involved, might even get others interested in it once it actually begins. Do you all have skype or reddit or something like that? Some way to make it easy to communicate as a group?
Dohon

Post by Dohon »

Not really familiar with Reddit (heresy!), but I do have Skype. We can even use Raidcall (free Teamspeak alternative).
xatharas

Post by xatharas »

I got skype, don't know reddit or raidcall though.
Yskonyn

Post by Yskonyn »

I would be up for it. Sounds interesting!
I do noties reddit though.
Perhaps a dedicated forum thread is a better option as getting All people on Skype at the same time will prove to be hard.
Yskonyn -

Desktop: Intel i7 9700K @5.0Ghz, Nvidia RTX3080Ti, 32GB RAM, Win 11 64bit
Laptop: Acer Swift 3 Intel i7 1065G7, Nvidia MX350, 8GB RAM, Win 11 64 bit.
Balkor Wolf

Post by Balkor Wolf »

Don't need to have everyone on at the same time, especially since we can all be from completely different time zones. It's just a way to be able to message each other as one single group.
xatharas

Post by xatharas »

any idea if and when you'ld start?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”