Das Chrome UI Mods 1.5b (20 June 2014)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

DasTactic

Das Chrome UI Mods 1.5b (20 June 2014)

Post by DasTactic »

This download contains 2 complete chrome mods (reskining the user interface).

My earlier Resources UI mod is installed as part of both mods.

As of version 1.2 it also includes the in-game cursors.

As of version 1.3 all the in-game flags are replaced. The flags are styled to work with the existing Distant World races and also to work with the new races in the Distant Worlds Extended mod. Aggressive races tend to have sharp symbols. Unintelligent races tend to have tribal-style symbols. Aquatic races tend to have rounder symbols. The pirate symbols have also been replaced.

As of version 1.4 the message images have been replaced.

Das Chrome Natural Mod

This mod is a bit more harmonious with the font colours and the tone are slightly warm-neutral.

Das Chrome Blue Mod

This mod gives a colder feel to the interface.

Das Resource UI

This is included as part of both the chrome mods.

With a view to helping new players ease into the game I thought I'd make a set of resource icons that can be instantly recognisable.

Strategic resources that are required to boost colony growth have a light blue-grey background.
Other strategic resources have a darker blue-grey background.
Special luxury resources have a yellow background.
Other luxury resources have a red background.

The resource help files have all been updated with new imagery and information.

This is unabashedly inspired by Sirian's excellent Resources mod.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screen Shots

Notes:

Installation:
1. Open the zip file containing the mods.

2. Extract the files into the 'Customization' directory in Distant Worlds Universe.
For Steam users this will be in C:\%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization.
For Matrix users this will be in C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization.

3. Start the game and select your desired theme from the menu.

Combining with other mods:
You may, like I do, prefer to play mods such as DW Extended.

1. Download the mod you want to use and place it into the Customization directory.

2. Download and install this mod pack as per the instructions above.

3. Copy the 'help' and 'images' directories into the root folder of the target mod.

4. If you are asked to replace files then be careful you aren't overwriting something that the mod wants to use. In the case of DW Extended the help files dealing with resources can be safely overwritten.

If you are looking for the Das Chrome mod-mod for Star Trek Picard Era V2 it can be downloaded here.

Usage:
The attached file has an MIT license inside it that allows unrestricted use. So if you want to add it to other mods, or if you want to change it in any way - not a problem. Go for it. :)

Source files:
Source files are not attached to the zip file. The icons are all created as vector images in Adobe Illustrator so can be scaled to any size. The resources file has the 32x32 icons used in the mod but also has 64x64 icons as well which are used in the help files.

Patch notes:
Version 1.5
* Refined resource icons and amended help files.

Version 1.4
* Message icons created.

Version 1.3
* Replaced the resources icons with 96px version to make them clearer in pop-up windows.
* Replaced all the flag symbols in the game.

Version 1.2
* Added cursors for both versions.
* Slightly darkened the colours.
* Introduced a new mid-range tone to help define icons better.
* Adjusted lines to pixelize better across many icons.
* Simplified the fleet posture icons to make them easier to see.
* Adjusted the character icons to make them stronger.
* Adjusted the up arrow so it works better on the research panel.
* Added Deneba Crystal to the resources (and adjusted the help file).

Version 1.1
* Increased scale of pirate flag and special luxury goods as these are also used in messages.
* All gases now have gas giant background image.
* Also replaced many icons with new versions (Steel, Silicon, Rephidium Ale, Polymer, Otandium Opal, Lead, Jakanta Ivory, Iridium, Gold, Chromium, Carbon Fibre)
Attachments
Das Chrome Mods 1.5b.zip
(4.65 MiB) Downloaded 15223 times
FireLion1983

RE: Das Chrome UI Mods

Post by FireLion1983 »

Next up, components - the blue, colder look is gorgeous.

EDIT: I like how you include both of them - I could see myself using both depending on the race. Amazing work, Das!

EDIT2: The GEM cursors go very well with this!
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Fantastic! Thanks.

Chucking this in my Extended mod directory now, love the blue one.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: Haree78

Fantastic! Thanks.

Chucking this in my Extended mod directory now, love the blue one.
Lol. I've been testing the colours while enjoying your mod, Haree. :)

There isn't any conflict between the mods which is nice.
eormur

Post by eormur »

Excellent UI. Thanks Das.[&o]
So there I was...
Buio

Post by Buio »

Very nice, thanks!
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

great looking mod - but some install instructions would be nice - particularly as there may be a lot of new players
drillerman

Post by drillerman »

WOW! Beautiful job Das123. What an improvement.
Question Haree78, Are you automatically incorporating these improvement into your extended mod?
Huh?
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I just uploaded version 1.1. This has some larger images that are also used in messages.

Also added an instruction in the OP on installation and combining with other mods. I'll upload a video on this as well.
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

No Deneba Crystal?
Buio

Post by Buio »

ORIGINAL: Das123

I just uploaded version 1.1. This has some larger images that are also used in messages.

Also added an instruction in the OP on installation and combining with other mods. I'll upload a video on this as well.

That was fast! I just downloaded and started messing with the 1.0 version. :)
Upuauta

Post by Upuauta »

Hello Das,
Thank you very much for this mod.
But where do I find the download-link?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The mod is attached, see the link at the very bottom of the first post.
Upuauta

Post by Upuauta »

Hello Bingeling,
Thx for your help. But when I click on the attachment link it just opens this thread again - no download.

Edit:
Oh, dumb me!!
I tried to open it with a right click and open in a new tab! A normal click on the link gave me the download.

Thank you very much - now I´m off to a nice weekend with Distant Worlds Universe. :-)
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: necaradan666

No Deneba Crystal?

Not at this stage. Deneba Crystal is part of the Ancient Galaxy which is actually more of a mod than a core extension to the game.
DevildogFF

Post by DevildogFF »

So, I have a question: how would I get this to work with both the Extended mod AND the GEM Overhaul mod?

Can that be done? I have it working in Extended as per your advice, but how do I make a super mod?
www.eXplorminate.co - 4X, Strategy, and Tactics
Buio

Post by Buio »

ORIGINAL: DevildogFF

So, I have a question: how would I get this to work with both the Extended mod AND the GEM Overhaul mod?

Can that be done? I have it working in Extended as per your advice, but how do I make a super mod?

Yes, but you have to manually merge them to one theme/mod, as only one theme can be used at one time.

For example, use Extended as base, unpack it into the Customization folder. Then unpack the GEM into the images folder inside the Extended theme folder. Lastly copy Das UI mode there too, overwriting files from GEM. You will have to sort out sub-folders yourself, so files go into correct structure. Activate theme and you should have all mods in one. If you are missing parts, double check so you copy to right folders.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

The blue ones great.That will be my new default.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: drillerman
Question Haree78, Are you automatically incorporating these improvement into your extended mod?

I wont be, although that's no reflection on Das's excellent work. When I made Extended I had one aim, to extend the base game, nothing more, I wanted all the vanilla stuff there intact. It is a mod for people who generally don't like mods.
A few changes have slipped in along the way, the art work changes for races so there is a more consistent feel, and small changes to the Wonder techs because I felt it was much better this way.

What I might do unless Das beats me to it with one of his nice videos is do a description on the page of my mod showing how to incorporate other mods of choice.

Edit: and I find he has! I've added a link to his video at the top of my mod page :)
drillerman

Post by drillerman »

OK haree78, thanks for the reply. I have dropped quite a few other mods into your mod over the last hour or so and they all appear to work ok.
Huh?

Return to “Design and Modding”