Post by benpark »

Looks really good for alpha stage....

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-n ... se-combat/
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Kanov

RE: Screenshots over at Pocket Tactics

Post by Kanov »

It looks pretty good! [X(]

can you post it at http://www.closecombatseries.net please?
Hard-core Spectre
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Maybe for me the only "but" is the use of teams and not squads... i really expect the new engine finally introduce TRUE squads and not like in last releases half squads or teams... think that use squads means 9-12 line infantry units with support (mortars, MGs, scouts...) you can have a full infantry company in the battlefield not like now a platoon.

Apart this engine give a strange feeling to me, is CC but is not CC ... is like a kamaleon, now i am 2D now i am 3D [:D]
TIK

Post by TIK »

Considering this is early days, I'm REALLY impressed!

I like how you've kept the style the same as the old games. Camera angle is good too. Great job!
I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.
TIK

Post by TIK »

Sorry for double post, but will we be able to turn the camera clockwise and counter-clockwise? So if we have troops behind a building, will we be able to turn the camera to see them?
I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.
vobbnobb

Post by vobbnobb »

That's looking pretty good, is this in Italy?
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

The graphics are looking good. Just hope the "camera" won't be too "free" as in other games where a simple zoom in results in getting down to the grass in the field. I have no use for that type of view. Perhaps from the view as in the posted screen shots, to a mini-map view would be adequate. I don't want to be trying to set up a squad in a building while my forces are being decimated outside my view.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Glad you guys are enjoying the news from Slitherine's press event.

The current plan is that there are two camera mods - straight down and angled view. It's not often that a unit will be behind something since the camera angle is pretty steep, but you can switch to straight-down view to see behind anything. You won't be able to rotate the camera, but you can zoom in and out to any arbitrary height between a set min and max.

Steve
TIK

Post by TIK »

Thanks for the response, Steve. Good to know there's an angled view [:)]

Are you planning on having multistorey buildings?
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Very good, it looks very close to one CC. I like it.
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

I like it too.

Looking forward to a competitive AI.
I don't need a visual master piece.
Just something nice,with great re-playability
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

I am however hoping you guys can help a brother out by supplying me with some coniferious tress,and some with snow on them.
Im not gonna be able to buy a 3D editing software,it's just not gonna be possible for me.Ever,that stuffs too expensive.
vobbnobb

Post by vobbnobb »

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

Glad you guys are enjoying the news from Slitherine's press event.

The current plan is that there are two camera mods - straight down and angled view. It's not often that a unit will be behind something since the camera angle is pretty steep, but you can switch to straight-down view to see behind anything. You won't be able to rotate the camera, but you can zoom in and out to any arbitrary height between a set min and max.

Steve

Yes angled view and height zoom are nice!
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Ummm something i think last day... is possible destroy buildings and other covers??? for example ram a house to introduce a tank inside???

I need say i like the CC style in the game, curious to know more about it.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

Ummm something i think last day... is possible destroy buildings and other covers??? for example ram a house to introduce a tank inside???

I need say i like the CC style in the game, curious to know more about it.
Steve told sometime ago how some parts from the map can be destroyed, not all because the amount of work would be very big.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks, i dont remember this.

Maybe be able to at least destroy houses is a must have... if i dont remember bad in Squad Assault you can destroy them.

Another important thing for me is... fortifications, how work now trenches... and bunkers i think that with new engine enter in a building is harder, not like in old CC where no problem to enter even with no doors.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Maybe be able to at least destroy houses is a must have... if i dont remember bad in Squad Assault you can destroy them.
I do not like comparations too much but specially with this, I wait that absolutely nothing from Squad Assault be used. Squad Assault and GI Combat, they were some of the worse 3D games nver made.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Damage to buildings is similar to old-stype CC. You blow a hole in the wall of the building and a pile of rubble falls to the ground. Vehicles won't intentionally ram buildings, so no, you can't drive your tank inside one. That's something we may do in the future, but not for version 1.

There will not be multi-story buildings in The Bloody First. It's rather like CC1 in that regard. But this is definitely something that is planned for future versions.

Steve
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks for the info Steve, maybe this is important in a more 3D engine and specially when looks like maps are less "masive" than in last titles.

Ummm talking about open a hole in walls... infantry can exploit them as doors??? thanks.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Yes, if a large hole is blown in a building it basically becomes a window. Infantry can use it. We've designed all the buildings with windows on all walls, though, so this isn't really a major factor in most cases. The 'windows on all walls' is so that infantry can enter a building from any side, without running around the building and potentially getting killed, when you order them to enter.

Steve

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”