First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

joeyeti

First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted!

Post by joeyeti »

Folks,

Brian Rubin (Space Game Junkie on youtube) has uploaded the very first DW:U Lets Play ever!

Head here to watch (I will do shortly myself!):

http://youtu.be/srSLorqHTuc
Joe
Icemania

RE: First youtube DW Universe Lets Play spotted!

Post by Icemania »

Woot! Watching it now.

And look at that massive subscriber base ...
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

After watching it I agree with what Brian mentioned in there that jumping straight into the game like that, with an established empire already, is kinda confusing for new players.

So eagerly awaiting a back-to-the-roots Lets Play starting with just a single system...
Joe
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Ah, great to see, I'll give it a look today...
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Hey, thanks for linking my video, I hope y'all enjoy it. I'll have more installments of the preview as well, the next looking at a more newb-friendly approach. ;)
ORIGINAL: Icemania

Almost 300 is massive, or are you being sarcastic?
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Veloxi

Hey, thanks for linking my video, I hope y'all enjoy it. I'll have more installments of the preview as well, the next looking at a more newb-friendly approach. ;)

Erm, look at one or two of Ice's other posts on this subject and you'll have your answer ;-)
Osito
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

For people who already have the game that is kind of pointless as its the same game from shadows.Maybe a video showing the modding options?
Antiscamp

Post by Antiscamp »

ORIGINAL: Veloxi

Yes. 300 takes a lot of hard work on YouTube. Especially if your videos don't involve screaming your lungs out or swearing every other word. Took meself a year to get to 300, so when I told my 14 year old nephew that I had 300 subs on YouTube and he replied "Well, that's a good start" I just gave him a friendly smile and thought "You'll see in a couple of years, young man". LOL [:D]
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

ORIGINAL: AntiscampYes. 300 takes a lot of hard work on YouTube. Especially if your videos don't involve screaming your lungs out or swearing every other word. Took meself a year to get to 300, so when I told my 14 year old nephew that I had 300 subs on YouTube and he replied "Well, that's a good start" I just gave him a friendly smile and thought "You'll see in a couple of years, young man". LOL [:D]

Yeah, this is after doing sporadic videos for a year, and then recently doing more and more of them as I got into a better grove with them. :) I'm honestly thrilled at the number.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

For people who already have the game that is kind of pointless as its the same game from shadows.Maybe a video showing the modding options?
Hey. I'm not a modder at all and wouldn't even know where to begin, so if you have any suggestions as to how I'd properly show that, I'd love to hear it. :)
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

From watching this vid it seems custom starting systems are not included with the modding expansion with sol not being our sol.That is a pretty big failing if you want a star trek mod,etc.Also Deneba is a new resource so its seems some new stuff is included.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

No, you can absolutely customize starting systems as well as other systems. Deneba Crystal is indeed a new modded resource, well spotted. [8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

From watching this vid it seems custom starting systems are not included with the modding expansion with sol not being our sol.That is a pretty big failing if you want a star trek mod,etc.Also Deneba is a new resource so its seems some new stuff is included.
Yeah, you totally still can of course like Erik said, I just wanted to get right to the new stuff if I could. ;)
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Apologies, my comment was not at all directed towards the next generation of Internet Celebrities!

Two suggestions.

Firstly, it would be super cool to get some really big space battles going similar to the image below.

Secondly, how about a video that shows the highlights of a Let's Play Series? For those of us with the attention span of a mosquito, like me ...

Attachments
FA00850855..A83848FB.jpg
FA00850855..A83848FB.jpg (799.84 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Gregorovitch55

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

I don't know who the hell I am to start throwing advice around about making LP's when I've never even tried to make one myself but, wtf, FWIW here's what I think:

The fundamental problem with DW is the combination of the huge scope of the game, the complexity of controlling your empire and the length of game play time it takes for things to happen such that the viewer gets some kind of idea what the hell is actually going on.

Another way to put this is that there are far too many things of too much complexity happening at once in too many places too fast for people who don't know anything about the game to follow but at the same time it takes a Youtube age and a half before any visible results from all this frenzied activity succeed in generating meaningful shifts in the galactic geopolitical situation, like the result of a war for example, so that the point of it all, the narrative, becomes clear to the viewer.
This makes making LPs of DW a big challenge, because there's a contradiction here: it goes too quick, but at the same time it goes too slow.

A possible approach to deal with this problem is to run three separate LP/walkthrough/tutorial series in tandem:

1. A full speed playthrough starting with the terran empire as in Veloxi's LP concentrating on broad sweep strategic issues and avoiding getting bogged down in any details of how or why you are doing specific low level tasks. The aim is to explain your overall objectives and the plan to achieve them at high level, give an overview of how you are going to execute that plan, and just play commenting on how well your plan appears to be succeeding or not. Let the story unfold, basically.

2. A pre-warp start playthrough concentrating on the details of system management, economy, ships and fleets, stations, resources, pirates and research as they affect the drive to escape the confines of your home system. The objective is simple and clear and this would leave plenty of space for commentary on the details of running an empire in miniature and demonstrate the interface.

3. A set of specific tutorial on various subjects, for example, ship/station design, resource acquisition, fleet management and combat, research, diplomacy and so on. These can be referenced in the commentary of the main walkthrough/LPs rather than go into those details there. Michael Broschek has done some excellent videos like this for Hearts of Iron 3 which are invaluable for new players. here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWhf8Y36wRs

Another approach is the one taken by CdrDave (David Downer) in his walkthrough series for X3:Terran Conflict. In this indispensable series he takes the viewer through a somewhat edited playthrough where he jumps to critical points to explain specific game mechanics in detail as and when the need for them arises. I can testify how well it works because i learned how the play X3 from this series myself.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5802365FF1
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

All good ideas and tips guys, thank you! DW is presenting a unique challenge as I've not really streamed/recorded it before, so it'll be fun to try to best learn how to do it right. :)
Osito

Post by Osito »

Another video posted by space game junkie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFrGdhms ... iAGlC3fFBA
Osito

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”