updated Deter, Detect, Defend - 1962

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Randomizer

updated Deter, Detect, Defend - 1962

Post by Randomizer »

SCENARIO UPDATED FOR CMANO V1.11. SEE BELOW FOR DOWNLOAD LINK AND DETAILS

Find below a scenario based on a fictional (and probably impossible) attack on the West Coast of North America by Soviet bombers.

From the scenario description:

Defending North America, August 1962

Even before the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, a big fear of North Americans was the threat of manned bombers attacking from the Soviet Union. Concern over a "Bomber Gap" and "Missile Gap" and worry over the vulnerability of American cities to nuclear attack were very real. School kids and adult workers alike practiced "Duck and Cover" drills as the immediate action should an atomic attack occur. Government, business and private fallout shelters were everywhere, many stocked with food and water in anticipation of an attack. And civil defence authorities drummed it into the population that an attack could happen at any time and with very little notice.

In 1958 the United States and Canada created the North American Air Defence Command (NORAD) and although the Canadian military contribution was minor compared to that of the USAF, by virtue of geography Canada was essential to America's air defence and was an equal partner in the NORAD command structure. Both the RCAF and USAF Air Defense Commands were subordinated to NORAD HQ.

NORAD's motto and Mission Statement was Deter, Detect and Defend. It was to remain a model of a successful bilateral defence treaty for decades.

In this scenario, you are Commander of NORAD Region 25 headquartered at McChord AFB near Tacoma WA. A full scale nuclear attack is anticipated and DEFCON 1 has been ordered. You will get radar information from stations including those on the Pinetree Line as well as radar picket ships and aircraft over the Pacific ocean. The crisis has escalated into nuclear war very fast so your interceptor squadrons are largely at peacetime alert status. This was generally two aircraft at Ready +5, two or four at Ready +60 and the remainder unarmed and unready unless conducting training flights.
Release of nuclear weapons has been authorized and confirmed by the National Command Authority. We do not know or care what sequence of political or military events spawned this full-scale nuclear war or even which side is actually striking first.

Defend the named cities in the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia from the incoming Soviet bombers. SAC has commenced offensive operations in accordance with SIOP-62 so there are no tankers or EW assets to support your mission but the Army's Nike Hercules batteries have been placed under your command in accordance with the Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system.

Suggestions are welcome.

Edit:
Final version using Build 517 uploaded:
- Removed A/C unavailable due to maintenance
- Added some variability to some Soviet starting locations
- Corrected scenario description to restore the Cuban Missile Crisis to 1962. D'oh.

Thank you for the feedback!

-C
Coiler12

RE: New Scenario for Testing - Deter, Detect, Defend - 1962

Post by Coiler12 »

Just started, but this is a very good scenario, well put together.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Wow, tough (and scary) scenario. I lost Vancouver, Richmond and RCAF Comox, but shot down most of the attackers. My final score was a -100 disaster. The cruise missiles did all the damage.

SIDE: NORAD
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
14x CF-101B Voodoo
3x A/C Tarmac Space (4x Very Large Aircraft)
2x A/C Hangar (2x Large Aircraft)
3x Runway Access Point (Very Large Aircraft)
1x Runway Access Point (Large Aircraft)
1x A/C Weather Shelter (1x Medium Aircraft)
1x Building (Control Tower)
1x Radar (Generic Air Traffic Control)
1x Runway (1400m)
1x Ammo Revetment
1x AvGas Tank Farm (10 x 40k Liter Tank)
1x Runway (2600m)

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
47x 20mm M39 x 2 Burst [80 rnds]
16x AIM-4G Falcon [IR]
30x AIM-4F Falcon [SARH]
65x MIM-14B Nike Hercules
10x AIM-4D Falcon
9x AIR-2A Genie [Nuclear]
64x Mk4 Mighty Mouse Rocket (Mk40)

SIDE: Soviet Union

LOSSES:
12x 3M Bison B
15x Tu-22B Blinder A
6x Tu-16 Badger A
4x Tu-95KD Bear B

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
41x 23mm AM-23 x 2 Burst [50 rnds]
7x Generic Flare Salvo [4x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
22x 23mm AM-23 x 2 Burst [50 rnds]
17x AS-3 Kangaroo [Kh-20M, ASM, 800kT Nuclear]
2x TN-9000 Tactical Nuclear Bomb

SIDE: Civilian

LOSSES:
1x Marker (City)
1x Marker (Target)
3x Marker (Town)

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Pinetree Line

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: US Navy

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Commercial

LOSSES:
1x Single-Unit Airfield (1x 2001-2600m Runway)
1x DC-6
1x Britannia

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions for improvement?

-C
Casinn

Post by Casinn »

Nice to command the Nike missile battery I grew up living next to. :)
bdziec

Post by bdziec »

Doesn't work for me
[:(]
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

bdziec, you have the last official v1.03 update and public B507 update?
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

ORIGINAL: bdziec

Doesn't work for me
[:(]
As Mikkey says. Also uses the CWDB v411 from Build 507.

-C
NickD

Post by NickD »

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions for improvement?

-C

Maybe chop out the aircraft in maintenance? - they just get in the way when managing the air forces. You could also include a note in the briefing about the Soviets having cruise missiles as I had no idea that this was the case during this era.
Jorm

Post by Jorm »

wow, chilling stuff
enjoyed this very much. 4
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

ORIGINAL: NickD

Maybe chop out the aircraft in maintenance? - they just get in the way when managing the air forces. You could also include a note in the briefing about the Soviets having cruise missiles as I had no idea that this was the case during this era.
Thanks for the feedback.

From the mission orders, emphasis added:
2. MISSION CONFIRMED. DEFEND MAJOR POPULATION CENTRES IN YOUR AO FROM SOVIET BOMBERS AND MISSILES.

Originally it was all gravity bombs but further research disclosed that the nuclear tipped AS-3 Kitchen became operational in 1960. I went on the assumption that little was known about the specifics. For the first run through I had a Golf SSB off the coast but the Nike Hercules' could not handle ballistic missiles so that Soviet asset was dropped.

I'm of two minds about aircraft in maintenance and so unavailable but taking up space. That said I proceeded on the assumption that in this situation, everything that could fly would fly with the non-flyers being cannibalized with considerable haste. If deleting these aircraft improves the situation no problem but I wanted some extraneous (if minor) "noise" inflicted on the Player in what is hopefully a stress-filled situation.

Edit: Golf's were SSB not SSBN. D'oh...

-C
Coiler12

Post by Coiler12 »

You could keep the SSB as a random challenge. Set it to just sit there at first, then have a random event that has it fire at one of your cities. If you pass, it still sits there for the rest of the scenario. If you fail, it's lose a city right away, which adds to the tension.
NickD

Post by NickD »

From the mission orders, emphasis added:
2. MISSION CONFIRMED. DEFEND MAJOR POPULATION CENTRES IN YOUR AO FROM SOVIET BOMBERS AND MISSILES.

oops - I missed that. You could tweak this to 'bombers launching cruise missiles' or similar, but I might have missed that anyway [;)]

I'm of two minds about aircraft in maintenance and so unavailable but taking up space. That said I proceeded on the assumption that in this situation, everything that could fly would fly with the non-flyers being cannibalized with considerable haste. If deleting these aircraft improves the situation no problem but I wanted some extraneous (if minor) "noise" inflicted on the Player in what is hopefully a stress-filled situation.

I have to say that I generally don't like including aircraft in maintenance on the grounds that they add clutter for no gain to players (and are rather unrealistic in scenarios covering deliberate attack missions or for air forces where squadron strengths are inflated to allow a sensible number of aircraft to be operational on any given day). Unless there are points attached to aircraft being destroyed on the ground, It seems better to just adjust the number of aircraft down to only include the 'flyers'.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Even before the 1963 Cuban Missile Crisis,

Shouldn't that be "1962 Cuban Missile Crisis"? </text nazi>
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn
Even before the 1963 Cuban Missile Crisis,

Shouldn't that be "1962 Cuban Missile Crisis"? </text nazi>
I am indeed guilty of calendar dyslexia and prostate myself at you're feat in object humidity... Give me a break I was only seven at the time and was wishing I was really eight!

Will fix for the "final" version.

Thanks.

-C
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

NickD wrote:
I have to say that I generally don't like including aircraft in maintenance on the grounds that they add clutter for no gain to players (and are rather unrealistic in scenarios covering deliberate attack missions or for air forces where squadron strengths are inflated to allow a sensible number of aircraft to be operational on any given day). Unless there are points attached to aircraft being destroyed on the ground, It seems better to just adjust the number of aircraft down to only include the 'flyers'.

Good point, given the short nature of the scenario. Am doing some minor tweaking on the scenario and will seriously consider your suggestion. Thanks.
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Final(?) version posted in Post #1.

-C
Randomizer

Deter, Detect, Defend - 1962 Magazine Fix

Post by Randomizer »

Just learned that the release version of the scenario has no weapons in the NORAD magazines so it would appear that I uploaded the wrong version. Please find attached corrected version below. Sorry for the inconvenience, you should now have lots of AIR-2A Genie's, AIM-4 of assorted flavours and even some Mighty Mouse rockets to use.

-C

Dimitris

RE: Deter, Detect, Defend - 1962 Magazine Fix

Post by Dimitris »

Thanks Chris.

Uploaded updated version and refreshed the download links.
hb921

RE: Deter, Detect, Defend - 1962 Magazine Fix

Post by hb921 »

Sorry for the inconvenience, you should now have lots of AIR-2A Genie's, AIM-4 of assorted flavours and even some Mighty Mouse rockets to use.

-C

Well, I wouldn't call it inconvenience, I would call it a challenge ;) I was wondering if missiles were in so short supply in 1962, but was to lazy to check... or assumed that NORAD was catched on peace footing and missiles aren't at hand.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”