How much does bombing and destroying planets harm your reputation?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

hardcoregamer

How much does bombing and destroying planets harm your reputation?

Post by hardcoregamer »

I know that bombing or blowing up planets harms your reputation with the other races (and the race attacked), but there are still some things I don't get.

For example:

1. Does the penalty grow over time? Does bombing/destroying 2 planets cause a bigger hit to relations then just bombing/blowing up 1?

2. If I bomb a planet, stop, and then bomb it again later during the same war, then will I get another relations penalty all over again for bombing the same planet?

3. Is the relations penalty for bombing/destroying a planet as high for other races as it is for the victim race?
Mad Igor

RE: How much does bombing and destroying planets harm your reputation?

Post by Mad Igor »

for 2,3:
[common sense]
if you will start to bomb japan because you are at war with them,then everyone will hate you because you doin' a genocide.
[/common sense]
no one like terrorists and no one like hitler for the same reason.
hardcoregamer

Post by hardcoregamer »

ORIGINAL: Mad Igor

for 2,3:
[common sense]
if you will start to bomb japan because you are at war with them,then everyone will hate you because you doin' a genocide.
[/common sense]
no one like terrorists and no one like hitler for the same reason.

What you said did not really answer any of my questions.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Reputation recovers so quickly I do not see any down side to bombarding.Pirate farming is also another way to game it.
hardcoregamer

Post by hardcoregamer »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Reputation recovers so quickly I do not see any down side to bombarding.Pirate farming is also another way to game it.

Perhaps if you just go crazy and blow up half the galaxy getting rid of bad rep is harder?

Also, if your bad rep becomes high enough then perhaps its enough to make other races declare embargos or wars before you have gotten rid of the bad rep?
Deathball

Post by Deathball »

From my experience it seems reputation damage is per hit, i.e. every time a bombard weapon hits a planet it takes off some reputation. Also it is dependent on the target's reputation, bombarding a diabolical empire doesn't yield any repercussions.
solops

Post by solops »

I'd like to see the rep hit mostly go away. Given all the other mayhem you are committing it seems a bit overdone. And why should you get any hit at all in the many cases where there are no opposition ships to escape and tell what happened or who did it?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Totally disagree.Reputation should have more meaning than it does in gameplay.I would add large hits to both DOW's and planet conquering.At present the so called evil races have noble reputations in most games unless they get a planet destroyer.
hardcoregamer

Post by hardcoregamer »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Totally disagree.Reputation should have more meaning than it does in gameplay.I would add large hits to both DOW's and planet conquering.At present the so called evil races have noble reputations in most games unless they get a planet destroyer.

I don't think all dow's should result in a rep hit. The game would benefit from a Paradox style CB system where you have to pick a reason for going to war, and if you don't have a legit one then you suffer a reputation penalty.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

The game could do with a lot of fleshing out but we have to do with what the game has.

I am hoping reputation is one of the things on the modding expansion list for a tweakable xml file.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

I feel the diplo hits one takes are relatively mild. Consider that diplo hits, in part, derive from a cultural consensus. In Babylon 5, the Centari take a big diplo hit for using mass drivers in there bombardment of the Narn homeworld. Their prior occupation did not seem to generate quite the same level of animosity. General consensus was that mass drivers are an ‘unciviliized’ weapon of war. Also, look at Terra (Sol 3) in the early 21st century of the Common Era. The general consensus among Western nations, since the end of WWII, is that waging war among civil nations excludes using chemical weapons. Chemical weapons are ‘bad,’ while some other weapons are ‘OK.’ Consider the diplomatic responses to chemical weapon use: USA during Viet Nam War (err ‘police action'), Iran against the Kurds, Iran and Iraq 10 year war (c20 years ago), and most recently Syria’s evil chemical weapons. However, amongst many 3rd world nations, there is a strong feeling that many of the uber-high tech ‘conventional’ weapons currently being used by the West against persons in 3rd world nations are also WMD. Think how you would feel if a number of ‘OK’ cutter bombs were dropped in your city, town, or workplace. Each bomb releasing 100’s of razor sharp swirling blades, slicing everything they encounter, clothing, flesh, your friends, your family. Their consensus matters less in terms of diplomatic fallout because they have less power. But the use of particular weapons does elicit political / social / diplomatic responses. BTW, my intention is NOT to take sides, but merely illuminate the social context in which diplo hits often happen, both in fiction, and in RL. Finally, some games have attempted to incorporate aspects of these diplo hits into the game. The Civilization franchise with its congresses and United Nations comes to mind. The designers, in this case, felt that some weapons were so ‘bad’ (uncivilized?) that a game mechanism needs be introduced to allow players to attempt to limit or ban some weapons. In DW, the diplo hits (and the consensus its intended to represent) are a ‘given,’ fixed, and immutable. DW's diplo hits are IMO actually quite mild.

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology
Plant

Post by Plant »

Some of the above does not answer the opening posters questions. The last one is just a full on rant.

1. Does the penalty grow over time? Does bombing/destroying 2 planets cause a bigger hit to relations then just bombing/blowing up 1?
Yes. It is proportional in my experience. The more you bomb/destroy, the greater the negative modifier. Bombing 2 planets has twice the hit to relations than bombing 1.

2. If I bomb a planet, stop, and then bomb it again later during the same war, then will I get another relations penalty all over again for bombing the same planet?
In my experience, it is proportional to the amount it has been bombed, possibly, by the amount of population killed. It is not calculated to per planet but by the level of bombardment.

3. Is the relations penalty for bombing/destroying a planet as high for other races as it is for the victim race?
I do not know if the race being bombed has never bombed before.No, especially if the victim has done bombing itself, the penalty is lessened or negligible.
Also I cannot remember whether the diplomatic hit is different for every race, whether "evil" races care less than "good" races.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

ORIGINAL: Plant

Some of the above does not answer the opening posters questions. The last one is just a full on rant.

Yes. It is proportional in my experience. The more you bomb/destroy, the greater the negative modifier. Bombing 2 planets has twice the hit to relations than bombing 1.

In my experience, it is proportional to the amount it has been bombed, possibly, by the amount of population killed. It is not calculated to per planet but by the level of bombardment.

I do not know if the race being bombed has never bombed before.No, especially if the victim has done bombing itself, the penalty is lessened or negligible.
Also I cannot remember whether the diplomatic hit is different for every race, whether "evil" races care less than "good" races.
not a rant - a reply to others who posted comments about agreeing or disagreeing with the idea modifying the diplo penalty in DW. The last sentence is my point, and my opinion regarding why I feel the diplo hits, in vanilla dw are mild. Calling my post a rant (and therby implying I was ranting) was, and is quite rude behavior.
Plant

Post by Plant »

If you view that I was being rude, I apologise.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

apology accepted.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”